SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What movies cannot be remade?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What movies cannot be remade? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Obviously, all movies could be remade--it is possible. We've discussed Seven Samurai (1954), Magnificent 7 (1960), and Magnificent 7 (2016) as one example. But, in some films, there is a certain magic that cannot be recreated. One might use The Sound Of Music as a story and cast without equal. Other movies have a star that simply defines the story with his or her presence -- think It's A Wonderful Life.

So, let's see if we can come up with the SF 100 No Remake Films that are so incredible in some way that no remake is warranted, for any reason.

To make this enjoyable for all, each "critic" can nominate one film for its story, and one film for its actor. No more than two, please.

If a film has a remake, it is by logic off the list. We don't want to create in this thread an argument over which should not have been remade.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
Blazing saddles and The Kentucky fried movie.

Posts: 178 | Location: St. Petersburg FLorida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
The Outlaw Josie Wales.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Just spitballin', Gone With the Wind, Gummo.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Tora, Tora, Tora

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
“Casablanca”. Warner Bros tried that with “Passage to Marseilles”, even used many of same cast, but it just didn’t work as America had gone too far into WW2 to have the same impact.

Some things are best left to the original version.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
‘Dial M for Murder’. So what if the phone line is cut, everyone has a cellphone these days. And many people don’t have landlines at all, anymore.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

I love this movie for it's weirdness/quirkiness, and I don't think a remake would be able to capture that.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The Godfather I & II

Citizen Kane

Dirty Harry

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Jaws

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16690 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Dr Strangelove.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Saving Private Ryan

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Deliverance...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Full metal jacket

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Animal House and The Blues Brothers. In both cases both for the content and for the cast.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Anything starring Clint Eastwood.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Too often I see outstanding french movies turned to crap by attempts to milk the US market.
I mean, it's not just classic movies that can not be remade in order to sell old stuff to younger audiences.

Oftentimes, even great current talents are not up to par with old ones and CGG are not enough to fill the voids. Just think of Michael Bay's Pearl Harbour... and Team America's epic song about it.

Can't think of anyone filling Peter Seller's shoes, doing Mel Brooks comedies or being the next Kubrick, Houston, Hitchcock, Scott without looking like a cheap knock off.

Arts, IMO, must move forwards.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Aw come on, You know they are just about to remake Blazin' Saddles after they take the offensive stuff out.

The movie plays for eight minutes.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to the Future

I just can't see anyone else playing Doc Brown. Or Marty McFly, for that matter.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Space Balls

Blazing Saddles

Zardoz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post