SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What I Miss Most in Music
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What I Miss Most in Music Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
What I miss most in music is Soul and R&B. I guess that’s why I’m such a big fan of Gary Clark Jr., he’s a monster guitar player, a great singer, and he pays homage to those forms of music frequently.

The great Al Green

I mentioned Gary Clark Jr.

Posts: 13266 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed watching Al Green and Chicago! And obviously they really enjoyed it too!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38684 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in the late 60s and early 70s, my favorite music was Soul, a bit of Motown and Philly Soul. I used to collect 45s and play them on a neighbors record player in their garage, stacking them up on the spindle and they would drop one at a time. The O Jays, MFSP, Blue Magic, The Jackson 5, The Temptations, etc. I still listen to the music, I have compilations of a lot of these songs.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16707 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up, I despised that genre of music.
Today I respect it and do even like much of it.
Not my normal cup of tea but I even went out and bought a Marvin Gaye CD a while back.
Today, that disdain is replaced by the raphop crud, don't think I'll ever go that direction although Ice Ice Baby is kinda catchy. Confused

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
The Isley Brothers - That Lady
In the guitar solo's, you can hear the influence Hendrix had on Ernie Isley.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
BOSS302, I hear Carlos Santana too. Whoever his influences were, he developed a style of his own, fantastic player!

Posts: 13266 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
BOSS302, I hear Carlos Santana too. Whoever his influences were, he developed a style of his own, fantastic player!

Exactly! One of my favorites!!

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Among many others I always liked "Knock on Wood" by Eddie Floyd.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Why do I love Al Green’s music? Because of performances like this.

posted Hide Post
quote:
What I Miss Most in Music

Frequencies 10k and above. Well, it's probably more like 8k and up these days... Frown

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
[1960s/70s soul songs]

I remember all those. Smile In addition:

I could watch Marilyn McCoo read a meatloaf recipe. Big Grin In the early 80s she hosted the TV show Solid Gold, which I also liked to watch. Subsequent hosts just didn't do it for me.

Funk & disco, or their fusions.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw Tyrone in concert. His band played for thirty minutes until he came out. He sang a few songs and proceeded to get into an argument with management. He also demanded that a limo take him from the hotel across the street to the music venue. Some of these performers think they are at the height of their careers. I think he is deceased.
Smokey Robinson still has it and I believe he is in his 80s.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

This guy was great in person.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw Wilson Pickett at the NOLA Jazz and Heritage festival. Great show. All were wearing linen suits in 90 degree heat.