SIGforum
What I Miss Most in Music

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4620037505

January 01, 2024, 10:26 AM
TMats
What I miss most in music is Soul and R&B. I guess that’s why I’m such a big fan of Gary Clark Jr., he’s a monster guitar player, a great singer, and he pays homage to those forms of music frequently.

The great Al Green

I mentioned Gary Clark Jr.

January 01, 2024, 10:43 AM
6guns
I really enjoyed watching Al Green and Chicago! And obviously they really enjoyed it too!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
January 01, 2024, 10:51 AM
oddball
When I was a kid in the late 60s and early 70s, my favorite music was Soul, a bit of Motown and Philly Soul. I used to collect 45s and play them on a neighbors record player in their garage, stacking them up on the spindle and they would drop one at a time. The O Jays, MFSP, Blue Magic, The Jackson 5, The Temptations, etc. I still listen to the music, I have compilations of a lot of these songs.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
January 01, 2024, 11:27 AM
smschulz
When I was growing up, I despised that genre of music.
Today I respect it and do even like much of it.
Not my normal cup of tea but I even went out and bought a Marvin Gaye CD a while back.
Today, that disdain is replaced by the raphop crud, don't think I'll ever go that direction although Ice Ice Baby is kinda catchy. Confused
January 01, 2024, 02:47 PM
2012BOSS302
The Isley Brothers - That Lady
In the guitar solo's, you can hear the influence Hendrix had on Ernie Isley.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.
January 01, 2024, 03:53 PM
TMats
BOSS302, I hear Carlos Santana too. Whoever his influences were, he developed a style of his own, fantastic player!

January 01, 2024, 10:36 PM
Ogie
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
BOSS302, I hear Carlos Santana too. Whoever his influences were, he developed a style of his own, fantastic player!

Exactly! One of my favorites!!
January 02, 2024, 12:56 AM
Ogie
Among many others I always liked "Knock on Wood" by Eddie Floyd.
January 03, 2024, 10:27 AM
TMats
Why do I love Al Green’s music? Because of performances like this.

January 09, 2024, 08:36 PM
monoblok
quote:

Frequencies 10k and above. Well, it's probably more like 8k and up these days... Frown

-MG
January 13, 2024, 01:26 AM
egregore
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
[1960s/70s soul songs]

I remember all those. Smile In addition:

I could watch Marilyn McCoo read a meatloaf recipe. Big Grin In the early 80s she hosted the TV show Solid Gold, which I also liked to watch. Subsequent hosts just didn't do it for me.

Funk & disco, or their fusions.

January 13, 2024, 11:00 AM
2012BOSS302

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.
January 14, 2024, 05:51 PM
doublesharp

January 14, 2024, 06:08 PM
ZSMICHAEL
I saw Tyrone in concert. His band played for thirty minutes until he came out. He sang a few songs and proceeded to get into an argument with management. He also demanded that a limo take him from the hotel across the street to the music venue. Some of these performers think they are at the height of their careers. I think he is deceased.
Smokey Robinson still has it and I believe he is in his 80s.
January 16, 2024, 11:45 AM
ZSMICHAEL

This guy was great in person.
January 16, 2024, 07:47 PM
doublesharp

January 18, 2024, 07:44 AM
ZSMICHAEL
Saw Wilson Pickett at the NOLA Jazz and Heritage festival. Great show. All were wearing linen suits in 90 degree heat.