New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Film Noir Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Years ago I looked up Mitchum's bio. Amazing how many films he was in!

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always felt that "Night of the Hunter" was more horror than Noir. One of Mitchums best roles. And very Noir but outside the 2 decade time frame: "Cape Fear". Another very dark role for Mitchum.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16116 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Understanding film noir takes a long time, because there is lot of misinformation out there, and it takes years to find and be able to watch the films in the canon of film noir (by some estimates, 800 or so films in that two decade period).

If you're really serious about the subject, you will eventually get to a point where you know what a film buff knows and doesn't know about the subject when it comes up.

In addition to watching the films, reading is required. You can start with the Ursini/Silver Film Noir Reader series of books, but you may want to start with my favorite- James Naremore's More than Night: Film Noir in its Contexts.

I ordered the Naremore book. Won't get here for a week since I wanted the actual book. Thanks for the recommendation Para. Looks like a serious text. I know next to nothing about the subject, but I really enjoy those films.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Ursini/Silver books are a collection of essays on film noir, that go back all the way to the 1940s. Number 3 in the series is a series of interviews with actors, directors and writers who are associated with film noir. At the very least, read the first volume of the series.

Ursini/Silver also issued the Gangster Film Reader, again a collection of essays and chapter excerpts from books on the subject of the gangster film, and I think this is a valuable adjunct to the study of film noir.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107699 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
"Night of the Hunter" has the look of Noir, but the subject does not fit the usual mold. The themes are subject matter are different.

Whatever it is, it is a great movie. Perhaps we worry too much about classifying it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
...but you may want to start with my favorite- James Naremore's More than Night: Film Noir in its Contexts.
I just downloaded this to my Kindle and have started reading it.
Then, you can help answer some of these questions, Jim. What's the very first sentence of Chapter 1 in that book?

Just briefly, but I'll answer in detail later- noir or not?:

Sunset Boulevard - Absolutely, positively yes

Notorious- No, this is not film noir. It is Hitchcock

Cat People- I know it may surprise some people, but, yes, this is film noir

The Killers- This film shares a key structural element with Sunset Boulevard and yes, it's film noir in a big way.

White Heat- An argument can be made for this being film noir, but, to me, it's Cagney and Warner Brothers and a great crime film and IMO, no, it's not film noir.

If there is any essential element to film noir, it is a thing no one here would ever guess. This is the thing that makes film noir so nebulous- how do you define it? We sit down to watch a film and a guy appears on horseback, wearing a stetson and a Peacemaker. He rides into town, where there are more guys with horses, stetsons and Peacemakers. This is a Western film. Very simple. Film noir? Not simple. That's why I love it. More on all that later.

Thanks for taking the time to answer Para. Interesting stuff. I too have ordered More than Night

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
When I hear the term "film noir," I almost always include Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries. However, Bergman is never among directors mentioned, nor are his films. Maybe I've just missed the whole point of film noir.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always Laughton got a raw deal. Night of the Hunter is a great film.
Big fan of Treasure of Sierra madre, though not really flim noir.
Gotta say Asphalt Jungle is as good a caper movie as any made today.

Posts: 245 | Registered: April 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I always learn so much from these threads. And now I have an even longer watch list. Was inspired to build a "Film Noir" library folder on my Plex server to keep them at the forefront.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Murder,My Sweet, with Dick Powell. It was on TCM this Morning 3/10/17.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow morning you'll have a chance to see Out of the Past. 9:15 AM EST on TCM, and just before that, at 7:30, you can catch a rarely seen film noir, Too Late for Tears.

At 3 PM, another great one- Fritz Lang's Scarlet Street with Eddie G. If Scarlet Street doesn't qualify as film noir, then no film does.

At 6:15 PM, it's Otto Preminger's Angel Face, and once again, Robert Mitchum shows up in a film noir.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107699 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Crap.

I'm going to be gone with the Virginia Historical Society tomorrow touring Yorktown and Jamestown, freezing my nuts off. I coulda been here curled up with my pooch watching cool flicks. But Nooooo.....

I'm currently reading More Than Night. This is a long and complex book, but it's much longer and more complex because I've gotta stop and watch a lotta movies that I haven't seen for it to make sense.

Damn you, para, for complicating my life!

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... a couple of good Mitchum flicks mentioned here.

Some titles I've never seen or heard of and shortly will be.

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born to Kill

Lawerence Tierney is disliked by many and while a first class drunk/badass/criminal in real life some of his stuff leaves me a little shaken even now.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me:
Double Indemnity
Detour
The Blue Dahlia

I really like the short, poverty row numbers from the late 40's/early 50's.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Yes, Night of the Hunter is a great movie, but not noir.

It takes more than just expressionistic use of shadows and light to be noir, otherwise you could include The Third Man or even Cabinet of Dr Caligari

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post