SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Need book series help
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need book series help Login/Join 
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
I’ll second the recommendation for Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe’s series.

If you want some interesting variety, I really enjoy the Harry Dresden novels by Jim Butcher. Harry is a modern-day wizard operating as a PI in Chicago. It’s urban fantasy mixed with noir mystery and some humor.

I can also recommend the Termeraire novels by Naomi Novik. His Majesty’s Dragon is the first one. Imagine the Napoleanic Wars if dragons were real and leveraged on the battlefield by both sides. Lots of political intrigue and class struggle as well.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Allon

Well written, good flawed characters.

I was going to mention Silva is no one else did. He is perhaps my favorite author.

If you like reading any series in the order they were published, a great site for getting the information is Fantastic Fiction. Just plug in any author's name, and his series (or for some authors, several series) are listed in order, with the year published. Authors with multiple series have each series listed separately.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second (or third) the Travis Mcgee books if you can find them. I'm a fan of the Florida based authors. James W Hall- the Thorn series, and Randy Wayne White- Doc Ford series, among others. Where are you located, I'm sure some of us are sitting on a bunch of books I'm sure you would love, me included. Most of all- keep up the good fight!

Posts: 341 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I didn't see it mentioned already, so I'll recommend the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your chemo pedropcola. I will just throw out a few of my favorites that may or may not have already been mentioned, and may or may not be a bit dated.
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
pre death Tom Clancy
Jon Land
Larry Bond
Jack DuBrul
Stephen Coonts.
Clive Cussler
Richard Herman
Patrick Robinson
early Steve Alten
Matthew Reilly
Harold Coyle
and as has been mentioned James Rollins
Dean Koontz ( the Frankenstein series)

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentleman. This is exactly the list I was hoping for. Some are familiar some aren’t. I’m going through a novel about every 3 days. TV got old quick and it’s too cold to go outside. Lol. Thanks again.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by germandogs:
The absolute best is the Travis McGee series by John D. McDonald.
<snip>

My favorite John D. MacDonald book is “The only Girl in the Game”, which isn’t a Travis McGee story.

And I’m surprised that the three-volume “Lord of the Rings”, and its prequel, “The Hobbit”, haven’t been mentioned yet. I’ve read these J. R. R. Tolkien books many times.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
also, if you like slow burn spy stuff, hard to go wrong with John Le Carre.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I did not read that many series , I tended to find an author I liked and then read everything I could find they did,

mostly Sci Fi,

Asimov,, the Foundation trilogy is excellent
Niven, his solo and collaborations, are all excellent, esp Ringworld,

Heinlein,,, goes without saying, unless you don't grok

want some quick reads w/ english humor,, Douglas Adams

Herbert's Dune series is good for the first few books, and The White Plague is excellent as well

my wife went thru the Harry Potter series and absolutely loved them,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom Clancy's early stuff .. starting with the Hunt for Red October. So much better than the movie.

Robert Ludlum wrote a lot of good books too.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Wishing you well, hope the Chemo does it's job. I've been reading a lot of series, great to fill in between other books.

C.J Box the Joe Pickett Series - Wyoming Game Warden - these are really good

Paul Doiron the Mike Bowditch Series - Maine Game Warden

Craig Johnson - The Longmire Series

Tony Hillerman - a series about the Navajo Nation's police and interesting plots. Certainly different.His daughter Anne has carried on.

Someone mentioned Preston and Child - the Prendergast Series is pretty wild, I like it.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For crime/drama, the Scarpetta series of novels by Patricia Cornwell might interest you. The main character is a Female medical examiner. I have only read the first 2 of the series so far, but I will be reading more. The first book of the series is called "Postmortem".

Wishing you a full recovery!

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr.

Posts: 5695 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by germandogs:
The absolute best is the Travis McGee series by John D. McDonald. They are old now so I don't know how easy to find. There are 20 in the series and each one has a color in the title. The best series I have ever read....

^^^^ These are a blast to read and a real flash back to how the 60's through the 90's were like. Even though Travis lives in Ft Lauderdale, the books move him all around.

If you do end up reading this series, there is a "last book" McDonald wrote with Travis, virtually unknown, its only 26 pages and (possibly) still available at the Broward County main library titled "Reading for Survival"

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
First, best of luck to you on the treatment.

Many great selections on here, just finished this series for the second time:
Casca the Eternal Mercenary - little bit of historical fiction, fast easy reads and on Kindle Unlimited, so FREE!

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Another vote cast for the Longmire series by Craig Johnson. I’m a fan of the former A&E / Netflix series, but the books (as often happens) are better.

Also, saw a reference to early Tom Clancy a’la “The Hunt for Red October.” I’d absolutely second that and add another early Clancy work to the list, “Red Storm Rising.”

Lastly, perhaps a classic like “Alas, Babylon” by Pat Frank and another of his works that I’ve come across, “Forbidden Area,” both Cold War-era stories.

I hope you are well soon - prayers said for you and yours!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
So I'm going to second the Honor Harrington series (Dave Weber).

Going to add the Wheel of Time series (a f-ton of books and now that it's complete I don't feel bad about recommending them). Robert Jordan and Brandson Sanderson ending the series after Jordan croaked.

Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series, the First is Storm Front.

And I can't recommend enough the Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. If you need a reason for living, the third book is not out yet with great speculation as the the release date.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met Tom Clancy when he published his first novel. Still have a signed Hunt for Red October. I definitely could re read those.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I'll second Tom Clancy's early works (Cardinal of the Kremlin, Hunt of Red October, and the like).

Another of my favorites is Clive Cussler's series of escapist adventure novels featuring Dirk Pitt with plots drawn from historical what ifs. Sadly, I just saw that Mr. Cussler passed away earlier this week at 88 and have posted a separate thread about it.

One other series is the Pendergast novels by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child about a strange FBI agent who gets involved in supernatural-type cases (which often aren't, but sometimes really are). I wasn't sure about that as I read the first one, but it turned out to be a really good read and I think I've now read the first 12 or so (out of 20). They have several other goods ones including Riptide, which was loosely inspired by the Treasure of Oak Island (long before the TV series).

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A third in Honor Harrington. Very much inspired by Horatio Hornblower.

Also sci-fi, The Expanse book series plus novellas. I’m sure an internet search will provide good reading order, as the novellas intersperse with the regular books and provide a lot of back story.

Now, this is fantasy, but it’s military fantasy and superbly written: The Black Company from Glen Cook. Fantastic world building, good character studies.

Also, Cook’s Garrett, PI series which is sorta film noir fantasy (private investigators and wizards? Oh my!).

Good Luck!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post