SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Need book series help
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need book series help Login/Join 
posted
Currently reading a lot of books lately. I’m in second round (6 months) of chemo and I can’t hold a medical with this so I’m out on disability. Hopefully this time next year I’m back in the saddle. That is neither here nor there. Here though is my dilemma. I like reading book series. If I like an author I will plow through their stuff.

I have read the Lucas Davenport, Reacher, Virgil Flowers, Amos Decker, Bosch and Renee Ballard stuff. So don’t recommend those. I tried a gray man but couldn’t really get into it.

Fire away gentlemen, and ladies, I will read anything once! Crime, spies, I even like sci fi or fantasy if it isn’t goofy. I need suggestions. Thanks.

Posts: 7490 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If you like military historical fiction and sea yarns, there is no better series than the Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O’Brien, starting with Master and Commander. 21 books, I’ve read them through twice and would gladly do so again.

And I wish you well.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I like the Sigma force books by James Rollins.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3483 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I absolutely love that movie so I will try that one. Sigma force, sci fi? Love the old mans war series by Scalzi.

Posts: 7490 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Stewart Woods and his Stone Barrington series is excellent. So is Robert Crais' Elvis Cole and Joe Pike series as well. Both are prolific writers and will keep you in books for a long while.

Good luck with the chemo treatment. Been there, done that myself and it's not fun.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant
Shadows Alive (unreleased, yet)

2 series by Orson Scott Card.
8 books total, 4 per series.

If you wanted to read chronologically, Ender's Game, then the Shadow series, then the last 3 of the Ender series.

There's also a few short stories & novellas related to the series.

Game of Thrones, though incomplete, if you want some longer reads.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Well I absolutely love that movie so I will try that one. Sigma force, sci fi? Love the old mans war series by Scalzi.

Not Sci fi...More action adventure.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3483 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Good luck and prayers.

I don't know how you feel about sci-fi, but you might consider the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. Not sci-fi in the traditional sense of the word, in my opinion.

Four books make up the cantos. In order:
  • Hyperion (winner of Hugo and Locus Awards for the best science fiction novel)
  • The Fall of Hyperion (Nebula Award nominee, BSFA and Locus Awards winner, Hugo Award nominee)
  • Endymion (Locus Award shortlist)
  • The Rise of Endymion (Locus Award winner, Hugo Award nominee)

Simmons may be best known for his horror stories, but in my mind, the Hyperion Cantos is his magnum opus.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
If you like military historical fiction and sea yarns, there is no better series than the Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O’Brien, starting with Master and Commander. 21 books, I’ve read them through twice and would gladly do so again.

And I wish you well.

Twice for me as well, but I have not and will likely not read the incomplete book 21. Oh, and I've read the first 4-5 many more times. They are like a old friend.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I like British mystery stories. In particular, Martha Grimes’ “Richard Jury” series. Relatively contemporary settings. Jury is a New Scotland Yard Chief Inspector. The enjoyment is not so much figuring out “whodunnit”. Rather it’s the ambiance of the soon-familiar British tableaux. Lots of books in the series. All of the books take their title from some fictional British pub. Here’s the complete list:

https://seattle.bibliocommons..../118738822/234333067

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
hope you heal up quick.

Elvis Cole and Joe Pike Series Robert Crais ( listed first for a reason )

Ex-Heroes Peter Clines

Threshold Series Peter Clines

The Passage series Peter Clines

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) Series C.S. Lewis

Asian Saga: Chronological Order by James Clavell

Incarnations of Immortality Series Piers Anthony

The Clifton Chronicles Series Jeffrey Archer

Joe Ledger Series Jonathan Maberry

one i just started which is great - i'll follow up with at least the next one after...

All Creatures Great and Small Series

i'm also insterested in Joe Hill's:

Locke & Key seires

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Crime: The Sherlock Holmes series by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Sci-fy: Honor Harrington series (The story of an officer in an Interstellar navy) by David Weber

Military Historical fiction: The Sharpe series (Peninsular War against Napoleon) by Bernard Cornwell or:

The Flashman series (about a fictional character from Tom Brown's Schooldays and his escapades through the 19th Century and how he unwittingly became a hero and participated in all the important global events of the time) by George MacDonald Fraser.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
1. OG James Bond novels by Ian Fleming. They are all quick reads and a lot of fun. Fun to contrast with the movie versions.
2. Brad Thor's Scot Harvath series.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The absolute best is the Travis McGee series by John D. McDonald. They are old now so I don't know how easy to find. There are 20 in the series and each one has a color in the title. The best series I have ever read.

More recent Nelson DeMille who has written many great best selling books about a lot of things. The ones with John Corey are my favorites. You wont be disappointed. Good guy and Vietnam vet as well.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by germandogs:
The … Travis McGee series by John D. McDonald.

Ah, the memories of that. The books we had in Vietnam were soon dog-eared from being passed around. I was able to get through only a couple of the Jack Reacher books, but the thing that struck me about them was how the concepts of the plots seemed to have been taken directly from the McGee series.

My favorite fiction author, though, was George MacDonald Fraser and his Flashman series. A very unusual “hero,” but highly enjoyable for me having a strong interest in British military history. For the same reason I also liked the Aubrey/Maturin naval books by O’Brien. I have read the entire series at least four or five times. Another in the same genre are the rifleman Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell, and more recently his Last Kingdom series that are up to 12 books at present.

I like the John Russell and Jack McCall spy series by David Downing. He is another author (like the ones mentioned above) who knows what he’s writing about, and that’s a must for me. Even though I’ll often compromise my principles and read books by people who can’t get the technical details correct, that sort of thing really grinds my gears.

Most modern technothrillers are full of egregious errors about things like guns and certain military or adventure operations, but a couple of decent authors are Scott McEwen and Dalton Fury (nom de plume) who wrote about military snipers and Delta operations. Like all such books, they require “the willing suspension of disbelief,” but are otherwise pretty good.

There are many very popular authors that I can’t stand to read, but that’s not what this is about, and all that matters is what appeals to the individual—like ketchup on steak. Wink

Best for a quick and full recovery.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Allon

Well written, good flawed characters.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Corps series by WEB Griffin. Fictional series that follows the Marine Corps from the beginning of WWII thru, I believe, Korea. I say I believe because I haven't finished it yet.
And I'll second the Elvis Cole series by Robert Craig. I'm just starting #6, great series about a private eye.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
First of all, wishing you success in obliterating that cancer with the chemo Tx.

Every time books about the Napoleonic Era of the British Royal Navy is brought up, I seem to be the only one who prefers C.S. Forester’s Hornblower series to the Aubrey/Maturin series from O’Brien. I’ve read both, and just like Hornblower better. Oh well.

Lots of people seem to like C.J. Box’s Joe Pickett series about a Wyoming Game and Fish warden.

Posts: 13262 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. Thanks for the well wishes and this list is going to give me some great reads. I forgot all about WEB Griffin. I loved his first series.

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Wife is currently plowing through the “... in Death” series by Nora Roberts/J. D. Robb; something like 50 books at present.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post