SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Masters of the Air" to premiere Jan 26, 2024
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
"Masters of the Air" to premiere Jan 26, 2024 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
The third episode was particularly hard to tell who was who since it was almost all in the air and everyone wearing oxygen masks until the end of the episode.
 
Posts: 3303 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
The third episode was particularly hard to tell who was who since it was almost all in the air and everyone wearing oxygen masks until the end of the episode.


Oxygen masks and they all have a name derived from the word "buck".

Bucky
Buck
Buckerson
Bucknut
Buckwheat
Whathebuck




“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken
 
Posts: 9125 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
For those of you wanting a bit more backstory on the men of this series, I found this guy and he does a good job of referencing the record in regards to what you see on screen.

 
Posts: 11127 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
The dialog is too muddled to understand most of the time. The actors mumble and the ambient background sound is too loud. They also do one of my major pet peeves, which is go from very soft whisper or near whisper dialog to really loud environment, and vice versa. So the engine sounds and gunfire will be so loud I turn down the volume, but the semi-whisper dialog needs the sound turned up.

This series is pretty much the worst I can remember for that.
 
Posts: 9354 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
The dialog is too muddled to understand most of the time. The actors mumble and the ambient background sound is too loud. They also do one of my major pet peeves, which is go from very soft whisper or near whisper dialog to really loud environment, and vice versa. So the engine sounds and gunfire will be so loud I turn down the volume, but the semi-whisper dialog needs the sound turned up.

This series is pretty much the worst I can remember for that.


FX and a few other channels are famous for that, the movie dialog is almost bad enough that you have to turn on subtitles to understand it, and then the action scenes are so loud its unbearable, especially running a sound bar that amplifies the sound.



 
Posts: 23103 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
It isn't Band of Brothers, but so far it isn't bad.

Band of Brothers was based on a best selling book by Stephen Ambrose, so the story was already fairly succinct and flowed well on the screen just as it had in the book. Add in the fact that most of the real men were still alive when it was being filmed and the actors were able to talk to them and get to know them before betraying them on the big screen. The viewer was also able to hear from the real men at the beginning of each episode. It felt very personal.

The Pacific (which I also enjoyed) was really based on the autobiographies of two men: Eugene Sledge and Robert Leckie. Both those men had already passed, but their family and combat buddies were still alive. Some of the original Marines in the story, like Sid Phillips, were still alive and again the actors were able to talk to them and get to know them.

With Masters of the Air, the real men are all dead, so the actors are doing their own interpretations of what they think the real people were like. Never mind the fact that almost all the combat scenes are taking place in B-17's so much of what we are seeing on the screen must be CGI.

Both my grandfathers, and almost all my great uncles and their cousins served in WW2. I watched Saving Private Ryan in the theater when it came out with a bunch of American Legion guys that were WW2 vets. Band of Brothers was only a few years later. Again, it felt very personal, and it aired on HBO right before and during 9/11/01.

To me, it is very very hard to get close to what Band of Brothers was. Never mind the fact it was filmed and released over twenty years ago so we are also viewing it through the lens of our nostalgia.

Give Masters of the Air a chance and appreciate for what it is.


Proverbs 28:1
 
Posts: 4186 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Please forgive me for not reading through the entire thread for this answer, but has this series been released on Blu-Ray or is it only available via streaming?



"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
 
Posts: 10936 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Please forgive me for not reading through the entire thread for this answer, but has this series been released on Blu-Ray or is it only available via streaming?


Only via streaming through Apple right now. They're only released 3 of the episodes. They're coming out every Friday.


Proverbs 28:1
 
Posts: 4186 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're coming out every Friday.


As forgettable as most of the characters are, having a week gap doesn't help me learn who they are or why I should care.


___________________________
Avoid buying ChiCom/CCP products whenever possible.
 
Posts: 9386 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Falcon
posted Hide Post
Many of the Veterans accounts of combat are archived at the Veterans History Project website.
My best friends father was a ball turret gunner on a B-24 Liberator in the 98th Bomb Group, first with the 15 AF and then with the 8th AF. Flew 33 missions total and eventually passed away at the age of 96 a few years ago. The stories that man told were incredible and awe inspiring.

https://www.loc.gov/collection...-project-collection/
 
Posts: 71 | Location: Alabama | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
The third episode was particularly hard to tell who was who since it was almost all in the air and everyone wearing oxygen masks until the end of the episode.


Oxygen masks and they all have a name derived from the word "buck".

Bucky
Buck
Buckerson
Bucknut
Buckwheat
Whathebuck


Yeah, it's pretty Bucked up.


----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
 
Posts: 10843 | Location: Salem. No, not that Salem.  | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Watched the third episode yesterday.
First i wondered how they managed not to shoot each other when surrounded by Kraut fighters. There must have been quite a lot of blue on blue


"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20
 
Posts: 12069 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
The dialog is too muddled to understand most of the time. The actors mumble and the ambient background sound is too loud. They also do one of my major pet peeves, which is go from very soft whisper or near whisper dialog to really loud environment, and vice versa. So the engine sounds and gunfire will be so loud I turn down the volume, but the semi-whisper dialog needs the sound turned up.

This series is pretty much the worst I can remember for that.


FX and a few other channels are famous for that, the movie dialog is almost bad enough that you have to turn on subtitles to understand it, and then the action scenes are so loud its unbearable, especially running a sound bar that amplifies the sound.


My wife asked for the subtitles for this series. She never uses them for anything else, and her hearing is really good.
 
Posts: 9354 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I imagine they shot each other quite a bit.
 
Posts: 7194 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Huh, lots of you severely underwhelmed. My Uncle Bill flew 17s in WWII, and my dad was a flight mechanic on 24s, then airborne on 29s involved in pilot training. I sure wish they were around to see this show. Both were proud USAAF veterans, and I think any remaining veterans of the air war over Europe would be proud of the effort Spielberg and Hanks put into this production.


_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 13085 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I'm done with it after the 4th episode. Would rather watch grass grow. Yawn...
 
Posts: 1790 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Theres just no "soul" to it. Paint by numbers feeling



"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."
 
Posts: 3556 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
I agree it's somewhat boring. I love good war movies of any generation, especially WWII but I have find its not easy to watch full episodes and I have little desire to go back and finish.
 
Posts: 269 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
My Apple stream service trial is done.

I had to make the decision to pay so I could continue the series, or not pay and forget about it.

guess what I chose to do. Not a difficult choice in this case.

Done.


----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
 
Posts: 10843 | Location: Salem. No, not that Salem.  | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I really wanted a “Memphis belle” series and thought we would have it.

The comments about the dialogue are so welcome, I really thought it was me.

Characters killed off quick, similar names, etc… a let down.


NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member
 
Posts: 2503 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Masters of the Air" to premiere Jan 26, 2024

© SIGforum 2024