SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Masters of the Air" to premiere Jan 26, 2024
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Masters of the Air" to premiere Jan 26, 2024 Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInAR:
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
The biggest disappointment for me is all the cgi B-17's.

Kinda hard to film an authentic combat box with what....6 B-17s?...still left flying.

I don't expect every one to not be cgi, but some of the ground scenes/close ups would have really benefited from a physical aircraft

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3601 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to love it. I don't think it is very good yet. I really want it to get better. The cgi is poor quality. I have watched video games that look more realistic. I think it would have been better to "meet" the characters earlier, ie in training.

I will continue watching but so far it is disappointing.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I think if they hadn't of hyped it as much as they did I might have a little different opinion. It's not bad, but not great either. I went in expecting a lot more. So far it's very forgettable.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3601 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I want to love it. I don't think it is very good yet. I really want it to get better. The cgi is poor quality. I have watched video games that look more realistic. I think it would have been better to "meet" the characters earlier, ie in training.

I will continue watching but so far it is disappointing.

Kind of agree. The air stuff is OK for the most part, but the non-mission stuff is generic 2020s fake drama. Guys fighting on the wing of a parked B-17? Getting philosophical about war while watching an air raid? Plus does no one pay a light bill? Almost all of the interior building scenes are too dark. It’s one thing in a blacked out bar at night in the UK, but in daylight? Thinking of the bar in Greenland and meetings in the CO’s office.

Posts: 3341 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Apparently it is also using "On a Wing and a Prayer" by Crosby

I read this book in the 90's and I loved it. Really excited for this series.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

They forgot, "Tell my wife........I love her....". Big Grin

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I won't be watching it because I have a hard-on for anything Apple, but it doesn't sound like I'm missing much.

I did watch the trailer thought to myself "Obnoxiously obvious CGI and dorky dialogue." Good to know I'm not the only one.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I want to see the characters fill out more. If so, I believe I will enjoy it.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
I'm liking it so far. However, I'm easily entertained and am not a certified movie critic.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I tried watching the "sneak peak" of Episode 1 that was posted in this thread. I made it about 2:30 before I turned it off.

It's the same scene that is in SO many other war movies - They Were Expendable, Tora Tora Tora, and a lot of others. Last night at the bar with the buds and/or girls before heading off to war. It's been overdone and done much better previously.

**Yawn**

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6738 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have watched 2 episodes and find it underwhelming, but will keep watching and hope it improves.
Better than most of the junk being put out now!

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Airsick Navigator makes it through flight school?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: liner,

Posts: 2080 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only airsick but incompetent. Nearly gets them killed because he misses England. He would instantly get swapped out, he is going to get someone killed. I would prefer a solid middle of the road navigator to one who has flashes of brilliance but also periods of uselessness. Total Hollywood bs.

I recommend everybody go watch 12 O'Clock High and report back on solid WWII aviation movies.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"He said... 'toss the salt'"!

I am going to speak from my experience.

No movie/character can bring the reality of what those who have ever lived this.

It just cannot.

It does not take long in these type of movies for me to disconnect from the "Hollywood" and find myself connecting to what and who I knew.

I maintained and flew with, met and knew guys from WWII, Korea, and in my era, Vietnam and through Desert Storm.

I have a hard time watching these "tellings". I often find I avoid them for a very long time, then watch them, stopping them, and often not coming back for a long time, to see them through.

Once you start finding the "pattern recognition" of places, things and people, it just gets to be a bit much.

But, I always home, that others will take away that the folks who experienced all of these "memes/tropes", were real, flesh and blood people, and none of them wanted what was placed in front of them, but almost all, faced and accepted the things that were put there.

And now, as I often do, I invoke Forrest Gump...

Let the story speak for those young men, who never got to tell us all , what life meant and was, for them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43920 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey, I agree completely with your point of view. I am willing to overlook a lot of formulaic details in the plot to reward and encourage filmmakers who conscientiously set out to help people imagine much more vividly than otherwise possible what war was like for those who fought it.

For me, I rely much more on autobiographies such as Eugene Sledge's With the Old Breed for first-hand reports of war. But then, Spielberg used Sledge as one of his characters in The Pacific.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen this much vomit since Team America.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34137 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Article compares BOB and MOTA.

Like many here, I've found MOTA a bit underwhelming. I never really expected it to eclipse BOB and the Pacific given the nature of what is/was portrayed. This article hits the main points of other things concerning then vs know.

BTW, I see no need to include the Tuskegee story- it's been done (one very good movie and one crappy one). They are pandering, IIRC, the Tuskegee groups were in the the 15th not the 8th.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4364 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
After 2 episodes, I'll keep watching, but it's not even remotely in the same wheelhouse as Band of Brothers.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1893 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have not watched it yet. Just wanted to mention that none of us are the target demographic. That would be gen z and the millennials.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12650 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post