SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Just snagged 1 bottle each of Sazerac Rye, Eagle Rare, and Old Forester 1920. Also have a bottle of Stagg Jr that I’m saving until election night 2020.

Posts: 2825 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Just scored my first Pappy Van Winkle...at MSRP of course. This will be saved for quite some time. I don’t anticipate scoring like this in a long time.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, down in Little League, I just tried my first Woodford Reserve last night. It was good. I like it, Elijah Craig, and Evan Williams Single Barrel best so far. Yeah, I know... cheap seats. Wink

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Meanwhile, down in Little League

Have you tried Old Forester Signature yet?

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meanwhile, down in Little League, I just tried my first Woodford Reserve last night. It was good. I like it, Elijah Craig, and Evan Williams Single Barrel best so far. Yeah, I know... cheap seats. Wink

Most of may favorites are under $40

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried the Old Forester yet. Heard good things about OF 1920, Classic 86, and Signature. But so far, been moving slowly. That, and I've kinda consumed one "test" bottle before the next was bought (mostly). Also hear 1792 Small Batch is pretty solid.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
OF 1920 is a bit peppery to me but still tasty though I think I prefer Elijah Craig barrel proof more, though I am still on the neck of the bottle so it may yet improve.

Posts: 2825 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I always hated the "if you could only have one gun" threads so I'll phrase it differently.

What do you think is your absolute favorite bourbon(s) on the market in terms of quality, availability, value (not price), and how often you drink.

For me, Maker's Mark Cask Strength and Eagle Rare. If I drank a little more I'd say Eagle Rare. Quality for the money ($28) is excellent and I really enjoy it. 10 yr aged, only wish it was a bit higher proof.

MMCS is a great value, imo, even at $50 a bottle here in GA... a full proof (usually around 112) wheater is right in my wheelhouse. I don't drink enough to cry about the price tag and it's always on the shelf.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. Also hear 1792 Small Batch is pretty solid.

I believe that you will find 1782 to be a very nice, drinkable bourbon. I don't consider Elijah Craig bourbon to be the "cheap stuff"......I like it also.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also hear 1792 Small Batch is pretty solid.

1792 is good.I am on a quest to find my favorite in the 30.00 range Smile.Lots of good ones to be had in my opinion.If you are just starting and not sure you might try a Rye like Old Forester rye or Knob Creek Rye.Both are 100 proof and have what I consider a sweet side with a fuller mouth feel kind of like drinking a Lite beer vs a Dark beer. Plus both are under 30.00.I will add I drink mine neat-no ice or water.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
What do you think is your absolute favorite bourbon(s) on the market in terms of quality, availability, value (not price), and how often you drink.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof and E H Taylor, hands down although they're not available here in VA as often as they need to be (when I have extra cash hanging around Wink)

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
quote:
Also hear 1792 Small Batch is pretty solid.

1792 is good.I am on a quest to find my favorite in the 30.00 range Smile.Lots of good ones to be had in my opinion.If you are just starting and not sure you might try a Rye like Old Forester rye or Knob Creek Rye.Both are 100 proof and have what I consider a sweet side with a fuller mouth feel kind of like drinking a Lite beer vs a Dark beer. Plus both are under 30.00.I will add I drink mine neat-no ice or water.

Typing without my eyeglasses again. Took me 3 re-reads to figure out what y'all were referencing, then the last time with eyeglasses.... Eek Smile

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
1792 Full Proof is superb bourbon at any price. Seriously. I hate that people have discovered it. It’s about to be as unobtainable.

I just picked up a local store’s barrel pick of Knob Creek Single Barrel and its pretty nice stuff. I highly recommend checking local stores to see if they do barrel selections. You can get some truly outstanding stuff that way some times.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I've only started recently to drink bourbon and scotch, or any hard liquor for that matter. What I've settled on so far as my two favorites are:

Knob Creek single barrel 120 proof and Bulleit Bourbon cask strength, 124 proof.

I did not like Jack Daniels single barrel at all. It burned all the way down and left a horrid afterburn.

The Knob Creek single barrel and the Bulleit Bourbon cask strength have been smooth and pleasant. I'll have to try some of that 1792.

I go through a bottle in about 10 to 14 days at this rate.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My neophyte palate leans more toward the sweeter varieties, like Elijah Craig, Woodford Reserve, and even the Evan Williams Single Barrel. The Knob is good, but has a spicier taste to me, and the Larceny also has more initial bite to it.

Guess I need to sneak by and buy a bottle of the 1972 stuff soon. Wink

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I picked up a bottle of 1792 small batch and it was very pleasant on the lips. I now have three go-to bourbons; Knob Creek single barrel, Bulleit Bourbon Cask Strength and now 1792.

Didn't see the 1972 on the shelf though, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Wink

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Is Woodford Double Oaked a good bourbon?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Is Woodford Double Oaked a good bourbon?

If you like the regular Woodford Reserve you will love the Double Oaked. I prefer it over the regular Woodford Reserve.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
If anyone would happen to run across a bottle or two of Blanton's dumped on 6/2/20, I'd be interested in picking one up. That is my granddaughter's birthday, and I'd like to save a bottle for her wedding day.

According to Buffalo Trace, they dumped on that day, and bottles were shipped to Detroit, Columbia S.C., various cities in New York, and various cities in Wisconsin.

I've hit up several FB pages where people trade for various dates. So far it's been no joy, so I thought the almighty Sigforum group might come through for me.

Para and/or mods, I hope this post does not fly in the face of the no buying/selling outside the classifieds. If so, I will delete or move.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The price of Weller Antique 107, and Weller 12 is now about $50 retail. I passed on both. The Antique was at Costco in Austin. I did buy a handle of WSR for $40. Specs discounted a Lonach bottling of Caperdonich 23 Yr from $149 to $63 so I bought that as YOLO try.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post