SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
mmmmm, Weller..... Blanton's is good, just not $110 good. That OGD 114 is superb value, as is the Henry McKenna BIB. P-220, your taste in bourbon is excellent.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see that you purchased some Tin Cup bourbon. What are your thoughts on it?? I have yet to try any.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Snagged an ORVW 82.99$

Agree on big level. So bad. Midwinters act 7 bad too. Constellation fucked it up i suspect.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the compliments.

I do like the OGD 14, especially for the $29.99 price.

I am still so new to the whole bourbon hunting game. Been at it since earlier this year.

Prior to the hunt, I might have one bottle of bourbon in the house, and typically it was Tin Cup.

I have been drinking Tin Cup (26.99) for a few years and have the tin cups to prove it. It is smooth, with no bite. although I really enjoy it, I now think there are better options out there for the price, ie... Weller Special Reserve can be bought locally for $22.99 and Buffalo Trace can be had for $25.49. I can almost always find BT or Weller SR, if not, I know I can buy the Tin Cup. I have only tried one bottle of the tin Cup 10 year. I did like the 10 year better, but it is more expensive. I am anxious to try it next to Eagle Rare, Russell's Reserve 10 and Henry McKenna.

Sad to hear another not so great review of Big Level. I still plan to give it a try.

Here is a sample of the Weller and Buffalo Trace I have purchased for my Son and his friends for Christmas. I was able to purchase these over the past eight months, sometimes just one bottle at a time.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have been purchasing the ET BiB recently. Excellent value, I suspect that BT bought the brand to shut out the competition. EW 1783 is good too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
I have been purchasing the ET BiB recently. Excellent value, I suspect that BT bought the brand to shut out the competition. EW 1783 is good too.

Ive still got a steady supply for ET BiB. Really enjoy it!

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
If I can ever SEE a bottle of Antique 107 in my area it's a miracle and you've got 14.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There has been NO Wellers in my area for years!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
For those of you who do not see Weller, what do you see?

I stand in line on Mondays in Pisgah with a guy who returned from a road trip in Utah. he found three bottles of Blanton's on the shelf in a a store and asked the owner how many he could buy. The Owner said I only have three, so I guess that is all you can buy. Here in Ohio, there are often limits on the number of allocated bottles you can buy. However, the State of Ohio sets the price, so there is no gouging at the stores.

As I posted previously, if you want Weller Special Reserve or Antique 107, come to SW, Ohio, there is generally plenty. I have stood in line with guys from Louisville and Lexington , who have come to Cincy to buy Weller. One guy lives 5 miles from Buffalo Trace and cannot get it.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The only reliable Buffalo Trace dram in Kansas City IS Buffalo Trace. Everything else from Weller, Stagg Jr, E.H. Taylor is "blink and you miss it" availability. On occasion, even Buffalo Trace goes into "1 bottle per customer."

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The large Total Wine and More store here got in 1(one) case(12) of Buffalo Trace this YEAR. Limit.....one bottle/customer.

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
So this past week one of the guys at work and I decided we would like to buy a barrel from BT and give the bottles to our clients in 2021.

As luck would have it, Wednesday was the Single Barrel Select lottery for BT. There were several barrels available, but our focus was on BT, Eagle Rare, Blanton's and Weller offering.

We both signed up and entered the site at 11:30, for the noon kick-off.

Entering the site early did nothing to enhance your chances.

At noon everyone was given a random number and then they begin the process of allowing those with the lowest numbers to make their selection.

Having never been involved in this process before, I was fairly confident we would score a barrel.

My number was 2300 and my buddy was 5302.

What the Hell?

Well, by the time they wen through the first 300 people, every barrel was sold. I hung in until 1:00, hoping for a miracle, which was not to be.

Did anyone else enter this lottery? If so, what number did you draw?

We will definitely enter again next year.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Buying barrels has become the 'in thing' in the bourbon community / secondary market.

So I opened the Shenks its really good. It's labeled Ky sour mash and is a good balance between bourbon and rye. This is from Michter's distillery and is one of their limited releases.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We were trying to think of something for our customers and we have both recently joined in the bourbon hunt. It seemed like a good idea to pursue a barrel.

We had no idea how many people would also be pursuing a barrel.

We may look at other distilleries, but the pricing for the BT offerings sure seemed reasonable.

Please tell me more about the Shenk's. It looks like a really limited release.

What would you compare it to?

Thanks!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Just grabbed 4 bottles of Blantons at my local BJ`s at 51.00 each. I've never seen hat price here ins MA.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
Just grabbed 4 bottles of Blantons at my local BJ`s at 51.00 each. I've never seen hat price here ins MA.

Score of the week, IMO.

I have NEVER seen 4 bottles of Blanton's in an of the local stores. And $51.00 each? Christmas came early!!!

The only bottle I have came from the distillery and I cannot buy another (there) until January 3, 2021.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Just got back from The Party Source in Newport, KY. They had Eagle Rare, but you had to go to the Cask Central desk and ask for it. Limit 1 per person $36.00 per bottle (not too hateful)

They also had Blanton's, but it was in a gift set with a minimum of $130, and they were out of the $130 offerings. I believe the least expensive gift basket (which was stupid, in my opinion), was $179.00.

Sorry, but I will do without before I spend that for Blanton's.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Been seeing a lot of Makers Mark 101 lately. I bought a bottle but haven't cracked it yet. Also have two different stores' Private Selects and a 2020 Limited Release.

As you can see, I love Maker's Mark.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10469 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I used Maker's Mark today, preparing my annual Bourbon Slush. It is quite an honor to be used in my annual bourbon slush.

B/C of Covid, I have prepared bourbon slush for each family who will be at my Parents this Christmas Eve. We will sing Christmas Carols from their courtyard, to avoid being too close to them this year.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried Cedar Ridge Rye yet? I picked up a bottle today and just tried some and it is really good. Low proof at 86% but tasty and smooth.

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post