SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Started Pappy 20 tonight

Pretty damn good, alot of depth. Ive now had the 15, 20, 23. Really tough to say which I like best. I know the 15 was the prize here but i still have fond memories of the 23. Naturally the 20 is a lil bit of both. Verdict is still out.

Switched to 4 roses small batch limited edition. Pretty good for a 12 yr mix of two OEs and an OB

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Stitzel-Weller/Pappy 20 is very, very good. I still prefer the 15 and Rye, but not by much.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Stitzel-Weller PVW20 is great, if you can find any more. Of the "newer" vintages of Pappy, I'm enjoying PVW15s a lot more lately. But give me my WLWs every time - better all around and kinda' available (I'd rather be lucky than good!). "First World" problems are tough, eh? Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Drinking a vat of WSR & OGD114, 1:1. Delicious stuff - much better than the two parts on their own! A wonderful way to end two (2) solid bottles when they get low. Just sayin'. . . . . Big Grin

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ew.

Smile

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
just got a call from my local b&m that my name was drawn in the raffle and I get to go pick something out from the special case. Hoping there's a pappy in there.

Edit: No luck on PVW and the only BTAC product they had was Handy but I just don't care for rye. So what else on derby day but an Old Forester Birthday Bourbon... cheers!

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Virginia is getting 10 bottles of the special 25 year ORVW at $1800 each. Be interesting to see how many folks actually enter when it involves paying that much for a single bottle of bourbon and knowing ABC will be just waiting for someone to try to flip it. There were 25K entries for 96 bottles of the 15, but that was only $100/bottle. I figure some of the folks who entered on a lark and win won't show up to fork over the cash.

Link to article

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw an offer to buy that stupid Van Winkle 25 for $9k. Mad flippz.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
the only BTAC product they had was Handy but I just don't care for rye.

Noooooooooooooo

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I snagged a EH Taylor 4 grain.

Ya bad move on dumping the BTAC handy, stuff is good. However 2016 OFBB might have been one of the best bottles i got last year.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I knew you guys would cry. Sorry. Nobuse buying an expensive bottle of whisky just because other people really like it. And I'm not interested in trying to flip it.

What does the Handy usually go for anyways? (Raffle is just for the chance to buy.) The OFBB was $90 after tax.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's about right, but I generally only pay retail so I don't know what the flippers get.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
flippers for handy probably 3-400 on thousandcorks or wine searcher. I dont flip either, however you may have been able to score a trade for Handy for something you wanted. retail this year was 90 bucks.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Birthday Bourbon also kinda special bc we just had our 2nd son a week ago. With how seldom Im drinking at home these days, it'll probably last me til he goes to kindergarten.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Birthday Bourbon also kinda special bc we just had our 2nd son a week ago. With how seldom Im drinking at home these days, it'll probably last me til he goes to kindergarten.

very cool. I tried that once! was only going to drink it on my Bday. man it didnt last.

posted Hide Post
Anyone seen Hancock's Reserve or know where I might find some?

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Finally broke open the OFBB. It has a very nice range of flavor. I usually drop a cube of ice in, but just went with a splash of water. I uncorked and let the bottle sit for 15-20 minutes before pouring, but I imagine it will get better with a little more air.

Has a sweet nose, woody at first, some caramel and fruits (citrus and banana mostly) and vanilla, then the rye spice hits fairly hard and the finish is somewhat abrupt and citrusy. It really fits a nice niche in my cabinet as I don't stock many high-rye bourbons. (72% corn, 18% rye, 10% barley.)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biggsig:

https://1000corks.com/search?st=Hancock%27s+Reserve

HiTime will ship to you if your state is on their ship list.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Hey berto,

Did you catch the pics of the ORVW25 on SB.com? Yikes - wicked pissah expensive! Eek

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:
Originally posted by biggsig:

https://1000corks.com/search?st=Hancock%27s+Reserve

Thanks Berto. Never ordered from them but will give them a try
HiTime will ship to you if your state is on their ship list.

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post