SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Picture of Alnamvet68
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm in. I'm in Virginia, so I'll just pick it up. Email me your address. Big Grin

I Don't Abide by Professional Throne Sniffers, Toilet Slaves, or Obsequious Servile Sycophants

Posts: 705 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Was in a nice restaurant saturday evening having a pre-dinner woodford and noticed a few bottle of pappy. I said to the bartender "I see you have the Pappy 15 back there" and smiled. He smiled back and said "Sixty six." I said, "tell me that's at least for a double..."

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
And, another.

Not technically Bourbon, but still....

Thy also had Breaker and Bibb and Tucker, but I passed on those.... for now.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I bought a bottle of 1792 Small Batch. I'm confused as to what this bourbon really is. I've heard of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve but I'd never seen this and now on 1792's website there is no trace of Ridgemont Reserve.

Anyways, it's an 8 year blend, heavy on the rye. These bottles were supposedly hand selected by the guy from my local shop. It was only $24 I think.

They had a bottle of Cask Strength Makers behind the counter when I asked about it. They seemed reluctant to sell it and it was $70 so I passed as I had a few other things already. Will check again next time I'm in there.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
that's pretty high for the Makers Barrel Strength, I pay around $40/350ml in CO.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I bought a bottle of 1792 Small Batch. I'm confused as to what this bourbon really is. I've heard of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve but I'd never seen this and now on 1792's website there is no trace of Ridgemont Reserve.

Anyways, it's an 8 year blend, heavy on the rye. These bottles were supposedly hand selected by the guy from my local shop. It was only $24 I think.

They had a bottle of Cask Strength Makers behind the counter when I asked about it. They seemed reluctant to sell it and it was $70 so I passed as I had a few other things already. Will check again next time I'm in there.

They repackaged the 1792 Ridgemont a bit. They went to a slicker more modern look, which is against the grain for most current bourbon marketing, but I suspect they are trying to stand out a bit more at a crowded price point, and it doesn't change the fact the 1792 is really quite nice, IMO.

When bottles are hand selected, that usually means selected and purchased a single barrel, as I understand it. So, your bottle of 1792 is probably a single barrel, not a small batch like standard production. I picked up a bottle of hand selected Buffalo Trace like that, and much better than the standard off the shelf BT. They bought the entire barrel, and had it bottled for them. Some stores cooperate and buy a barrel to split between them. 46and2 will correct me if I am wrong on this.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
1792 one of my top picks!! Ya its the ridgemont reserve. Just repackaged.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
right, "Hand Selected" usually just means the retailer bought an entire Barrel, and someone (usually at the Distillery) picked which Barrel. years ago I participated in a Barrel buy of Elmer T Lee and some from our group actually went to Buffalo Trace and taste tested a few Barrels before picking it themselves - but that's the exception I believe.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
The store I frequent the owner is a big Bourban drinker he has gone to the distiller and selected barrels for a store purchase. The Four Roses he selected was very good.

I am working through the open bottles I had from this past winter / spring. I often have 5-7 bottles open. I just finished up my Elijah Craig BP (glad I have another to open in the fall). I have a few others to finish up then I can open up those I have bought but havent yet opened.

Waiting on deck ETL, Orphan Barrel Forged Oak, ECBP, Stagg Jr, and a few other favorites.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
The store I frequent the owner is a big Bourban drinker he has gone to the distiller and selected barrels for a store purchase. The Four Roses he selected was very good.

I am working through the open bottles I had from this past winter / spring. I often have 5-7 bottles open. I just finished up my Elijah Craig BP (glad I have another to open in the fall). I have a few others to finish up then I can open up those I have bought but havent yet opened.

Waiting on deck ETL, Orphan Barrel Forged Oak, ECBP, Stagg Jr, and a few other favorites.

Hey Gator, be sure to let us know what you think of the Forged Oak. I snagged a bottle of Barterhouse a few weeks ago which I enjoy, but missed out on the Lost Prophet.

If that's the 4th release of Stagg Jr., you're in for a real flavor bomb, just beware of the alcohol up front. It will melt you esophagus if you don't take it slow. 4th release was 132.1 proof, 3rd release was 132.2 and very good as well as I hear it. One of my favorites so far.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I cracked open the Forged Oak. My first impression is it is very good. It smells of Carmel, w/ hint of oak.

My first glass is neat it really doesn't need any water. Very thick syrupy mouth feel similar to a barrel proof. Very little heat for a 90 proof.

Tastes of Carmel (those light tan chewy kind), a little rye spice with oak on the finish.

Smooth as a freshly washed hippie.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
And, another.

Not technically Bourbon, but still....

Thy also had Breaker and Bibb and Tucker, but I passed on those.... for now.

found a bottle of this at the ABC store on Main, near Meadow,

good stuff, liking it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Can't find any Elmer T in my vicinity. Will be headed up to Lex in a few weeks and hope to score a few bottles in the visit. Till then, it's Noah's Mills for me...

Posts: 13795 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Just replenished my 4 roses single barrel Smile

More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

Yep good stuff but I can't drink the 100 proof stuff like this on a regular basis. Too harsh on my throat the next day. 90 proof on a daily basis is ok for me.

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ian111:
quote:

Yep good stuff but I can't drink the 100 proof stuff like this on a regular basis. Too harsh on my throat the next day. 90 proof on a daily basis is ok for me.

add a little water, and like magic: 90proof.

Smile

More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian111:
quote:

add a little water, and like magic: 90proof.

Smile

If I add enough water for it to be easier on my throat Poof! much of the charms of the FRSB is gone for me. I thought it would hold up to a bit more water than usual for me but it doesn't. And so it's a once or twice a week treat for me appreciated the way it should be. The rest of the week 90 proof bourbon drunk neat or don't fall a part with a little water (BT, Bulleit, EC12, MM)

Maybe it's about time I try the FR Small Batch.

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Small batch is good. Im a fan.

Hell even the yellow label i can drink on da rocks.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I only even buy the Single Barrel when it's both Barrel Proof and a mash I like.

otherwise, when regular Four Roses Single Barrel is all that's available - I prefer the Small Batch. It's a lighter expression, to me, with more in common with the Yellow (which I like) than the Single Barrel. very easy to drink, to me.

most of the time, though - the Barrel Strength Single Barrel is what I prefer.

I've never had a Four Roses expression I didn't like.

More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
I just had some FRSB again last night. Every time I'm impressed. I hope Jim Rutledge's retirement won't mean a change in quality.

Something I did and which was recommended to me. Take a sip of ice water before and halfway through your dram. Cleans out your palate allowing more flavor and subtleties to go through.