New
Find
Notify
Tools

Road House 2024 Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Yep, this is what we need. A UFC/Matrixy reboot (see what I did there at all?) of a cult classic. With Jake Gyllenhaal.

Available only by streaming on Prime Video March 21. (Perhaps a good thing.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16778 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm... I didn't see a Sam Elliott character or any ripping out throats. I suppose I'll still watch it, though. Smile

Posts: 5021 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Pass.

Posts: 6706 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The neck tattoo? Does it indicate... Gills? Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16354 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't seem as woke as I anticipated it might be, I'll watch it. But it will never be THE Road House Smile

Posts: 489 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out, looks like some decent action.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9406 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
Doesn't seem as woke as I anticipated it might be, I'll watch it. But it will never be THE Road House Smile

Well, the Tillman character, played by Kevin Tighe in the original, is now portrayed by a black woman.
Can you say "pandering"?

Hard pass. The appeal of the original is that it is campy, The Best Bad Movie to watch (Con Air is another). This new one looks bad period.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17110 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I hope someone calls his momma a whore.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9739 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hollywood is bereft of originality, so, we get stuff like this. Don't bother with it, and damn sure do not pay to see this shit.

Posts: 108898 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Saw the trailer for this earlier this week. Couldn’t believe it, but could if that makes sense. Hollywood is completely void of new ideas. Jake is what I don’t understand. He’s a really good actor. Been in some truly great films and now you stoop to this type of remake bullshit? His career is taking a nosedive.

Swayze has passed on. Let him rest in peace. The original is a legendary Cinemax Saturday night type of film. We all love it. Leave it the fuck alone.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12890 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They could have re-released the original in theatres and made more money. McGregor can probably act about as good as he boxes. Great he's cashing in but it ain't with my money.

Posts: 4315 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Swayze has passed on. Let him rest in peace. The original is a legendary Cinemax Saturday night type of film. We all love it. Leave it the fuck alone.

So has Jeff Healey. Agreed - no interest at all.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3593 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Remakes always have that burden to capture what the original displayed.
Not easy but films like music and just about anything artsie is a manifestation of something else before.
No need to get bent out of shape when someone tries something again.
New audiences, different times so why not try.
In this case it will be interesting to see if they can capture the essence of Swayzee.
Don't know anyone would say don't watch it without seeing it to relay a proper review.
I didn't see anything in the trailer to make me turn away, so will most likely watch once it hits the streaming channels.

Posts: 23162 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
At times a remake is of value.

Seven Samurai became The Magnificent Seven (1960), which was remade under the same title in 2016.

The basic premise of many movies is the same...bad exists, good men strive to overcome bad...good men must do bad to succeed...good men lose good men in the fight...

I think if this movie were to pay true homage to the original, and entertained a new audience well, we would all celebrate it. I hope it does.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5184 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The neck tattoo? Does it indicate... Gills? Roll Eyes

Is it the gay "equality" symbol, I don't think anyone would bw shocked by Woke Roadhouse.

(not watching the trailer, certainly not watching the movie. Seeing the original once was more than enough. lol)

Posts: 21313 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Hard pass, don't need any more bastardizations like red dawn or any other iconic flicks.

Posts: 2188 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace31:
Hard pass, don't need any more bastardizations like red dawn or any other iconic flicks.

I made the mistake of turning on a new remake of the Karate Kid. Essentially the same story of a bullied kid being taken in and trained by the handyman who happens to be a karate expert...but with a little black kid living in China. Roll Eyes

What's next? Fast Times At Ridgemont High?

Posts: 20484 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Have Camera - Will Travel
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted Hide Post
No.

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to prevent bad people from doing bad things to good people.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 3100 | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Now the director is getting uppity about Amazon chucking this straight to Prime instead of theaters:

Posts: 4407 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
This is such a horrible candidate for a remake. Why would they even consider it? Not that many are good candidates...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39159 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post