SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Interesting statistics about the HBO series Deadwood **NSFW** Warning- This thread has a Wu Rating of 9.6/10
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting statistics about the HBO series Deadwood **NSFW** Warning- This thread has a Wu Rating of 9.6/10 Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I can remember watching the series, hearing the Fuck's, and wondering if that word was even invented yet???

I remember reading something about the profanity and found this:

quote:

I read that back in the days of the "real" Deadwood of the 1870s, people were very foul-mouthed, especially Jane - but the words they used were very tame by modern standards. Apparently they shot some scenes using more authentic words from the period and it was laughable, so they opted to use modern swear words to convey to the "modern" audience how foul-mouthed the people were back then.

Deadwood - what's with all the f***ing swearing???

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wu: Bak Wai Lo Me... Cocksucka.
Al Swearengen: Yeah, glad I taught you that fuckin' word.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We just finished this series this weekend. Miss it already. Very Shakespearean-like.

I also wonder how many times they said "Swedgin" in the course of this show?

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those cocksuckers from Yankton need to give Al his own prequel spinoff.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
Is there a separate breakdown for "San Fran-Cis-Co Cocksucka" or are all cocksuckas lumped in as one?

Posts: 2117 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So I never got around to watching Deadwood and I am just gettting around to it.

Now I can weave a tapestry of profanity second to few.....but HOLY SHIT!!! This show brings profanity to a new level. There was an episode where CU .... next Tuesday was said like 5 times in 18 seconds.

I am four episodes in and all I have to say is .... well ... fuck. Smile

Great actors, all. Enjoying it so far and I really like Ian McShane and he is a masterpiece as Al Swearengen. Would have liked more Timothy Olmundson as I like him, too bad he takes a face plant so early.

Brad Dourf is GREAT as the doctor.

Anyway, I will let you cocksuckers get back to the fucking thread at hand. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
btt, for the useful information contained in this thread.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:
Is there a separate breakdown for "San Fran-Cis-Co Cocksucka" or are all cocksuckas lumped in as one?

there are a few variations!

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
As it stands now, all the cocksuckers are just lumped together.

In order to study this further, a government grant would be required.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
And remarkably, it has a ZFG of -1,127.

As a series, well fuck... fucking great, great fucking, filled with fucks not giving fucks about fuckers fucking awesome fucking performances.

Well, fuck me! I fucking could have been a fucking writer for fucking Deadwood!

In truth, the profanity was off putting at first, but the early performances of Robin Weigert, John Hawkes (one of the most under recognized actors on the series), and Jim Beaver sucked me into the series.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31378 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
Redneck Shakespeare at its finest, and that by no means is an insult.

HBO should have let them finish out the show.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I ran across John Wick 2 last night while the wife and I were watching TV and Ian McShane is in it. I said look, it's Swedgin! I do miss that show.

Sometimes I'll laugh to myself when I hear someone ask who? I'll start running through that classic scene in my head.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
BTT in preparation for the new Deadwood movie.

Free fuckin' gratis for all you cocksuckers!

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Ellsworth was my favorite non lead guy

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wu set the standard.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Ellsworth was my favorite non lead guy
Yeah, he was solid. That clip is from the pilot episode. I love the dialogue.

Ellsworth: (To Al) Now, with that Limey damn accent of yours, are these rumors true that you're descended from the British nobility?

Al: I'm descended from all them cocksuckers.

Ellsworth: (Raises his glass to Al) Well here's to you, your majesty. I'll tell you what. I may a fucked my life up flatter than hammered shit, but I stand here before you today beholden to no human cocksucker. And workin' a payin' fuckin' gold claim. And not the U.S. government sayin' I'm tresspassin' or the savage fuckin' red man himself or any of these limber dick cocksuckers passin' themselves off as prospectors had better try and stop me.

Al: They better not try it in here.

Ellsworth: Goddamn it, Swearengen, I don't trust you as far as I can throw ya, but I enjoy the way you lie.

Al: Thank you, my good man.

Ellsworth: You're welcome! You conniving, heavy thumbed motherfucker!

Big Grin

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
As it stands now, all the cocksuckers are just lumped together.

In order to study this further, a government grant would be required.

They'd just fuck it up, buncha pansy cocksuckers...

Posts: 23239 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry. Is this supposed to be entertaining? I Find excessive profanity to be a marked lack of creative dialog and story telling.

I'm not a prude, but when cussing becomes the raison d'etre for a show, it's already lost me as a viewer.

I tried Deadwood. It was stillborn to me.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
No cussing in 1876 during the Black Hills gold rush?

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I'm sorry. Is this supposed to be entertaining? I Find excessive profanity to be a marked lack of creative dialog and story telling.

I'm not a prude, but when cussing becomes the raison d'etre for a show, it's already lost me as a viewer.

I tried Deadwood. It was stillborn to me.

Well ya know what they say, in life you have to do a lot of things you don’t fucking want to do. Many times, that’s what the fuck life is… one vile fucking task after another.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post