SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Interesting statistics about the HBO series Deadwood **NSFW** Warning- This thread has a Wu Rating of 9.6/10
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting statistics about the HBO series Deadwood **NSFW** Warning- This thread has a Wu Rating of 9.6/10 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Is this supposed to be entertaining?
Yes, as a matter of fact- immensely entertaining. This is one of my favorite threads in this forum, and in case you missed it, I'm its creator. Regardless of your feelings about profanity, you seem to be missing something that just about everyone else here knows, and that's that I'll post whatever I Goddamned want, whenever I Goddamned please, and if anyone here doesn't like it, well, that's just too Goddamned bad.

Any more Goddamned questions?
quote:
I tried Deadwood. It was stillborn to me.
As an old girlfriend of mine used to say, your taste is in your mouth.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107232 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen an episode, but I absolutely love Westerns; especially now that I find myself playing RedDead2 on XBox.

Still don’t have HBO, but this thread and the discussion about the upcoming movie has me motivated to find this series and watch it post-haste.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12301 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For anyone who might be curious, David Milch explained the rationale for the type and degree of profanity which was used:
quote:
From its debut, Deadwood drew attention for its extensive profanity. It is a deliberate anachronism on the part of the creator with a twofold intent. Milch explained in several interviews that the characters were originally intended to use period slang and swear words. Such words, however, were based heavily on the time's deep religious roots and tended to be more blasphemous than scatological. Instead of being shockingly crude (in keeping with the tone of a frontier mining camp), the results sounded comical. As Geoffrey Nunberg put it "… if you put words like 'goldarn' into the mouths of the characters on Deadwood, they'd all wind up sounding like Yosemite Sam."

Instead, it was decided that the show would use current profanity in order for the words to have the same impact on modern audiences as the blasphemous ones did back in the 1870s. In early episodes, the character of Mr. Wu excessively uses "cocksucker," his favorite derogatory term for those whom he dislikes. Wu is also fond of the Cantonese derogatory term "gweilo" which he applies to the camp's white males.

The other intent in regard to the frequency of the swearing was to signal to the audience the lawlessness of the camp in much the same way that the original inhabitants used it to show that they were living outside the bounds of "civil society."
The dialogue of this series is nothing short of poetry.

Al Swearengen in the last episode of the series, plotting a deception against George Hearst:

"We show united in the prelude when he’s making his entrance and the fucking like. Comes to viewing the body, I stand for virtue alone. The deception failing, I’ll make a pass at him with my blade. In the aftermath, play the lie as mine, knowing I speak of you in heaven. Others owe thought to the future—their thinking straightforward don’t come that naturally to."

Love it. I love it, most dearly. Oh, but for another season of lines like that. So, brief though it may be, I'm grateful for the film upcoming.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I’ve never seen an episode, but I absolutely love Westerns; especially now that I find myself playing RedDead2 on XBox.

Still don’t have HBO, but this thread and the discussion about the upcoming movie has me motivated to find this series and watch it post-haste.

All seasons are on Amazon Prime...it's a ride! (You will never think about bacon in the same way) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

All seasons are on Amazon Prime...it's a ride! (You will never think about bacon in the same way) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I started yesterday and am 3 epps in already! SO GREAT!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12301 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You sir have great taste.

I dearly miss the show.

Still laugh my ass off thinking of when Calamity Jane would wake up from being pissed drunk and shout out "CockSucker!"

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
May 31st...

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Revival of an old favorite

Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
An oldie but a goodie!

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Had forgotten all about this. Thanks for bumping it, para!

Just added to my list on HBO Max.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Revival of an old favorite

Thanks… missed the original.

Agree … fucking poetry in motion; Shakespearean sonnets…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm not a prude and believe there's a definite place for profanity, but I watched Deadwood one time and it was like a bunch of teenage boys who have just discovered the holy grail of profanity. It was like profanity for profanity's sake, not for the movie's sake.

Never watched it again.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I'm not a prude and believe there's a definite place for profanity, but I watched Deadwood one time and it was like a bunch of teenage boys who have just discovered the holy grail of profanity. It was like profanity for profanity's sake, not for the movie's sake.

Never watched it again.

Cool story

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never watched it again.

It's not a John Wayne movie.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was like profanity for profanity's sake, not for the movie's sake.

Nope.

Don't get me wrong: I understand just where you're coming from. The first time my wife and I watched it, I think we got through the first episode and even I, who employs above-average salty language, himself, said "WTH?!?", and passed.

But we kept hearing good things about the series, so, when we could find nothing else to interest us at the time, we decided to see if we could get past the language.

It turned out we could.

Since then I've read some articles about the series. While the exact profanity used in the series isn't period-accurate, the impact on people in our day-and-age is the same impact as the salty language they used back then would've had on people back then. As is, according to historians, the frequency of its use in a place like Deadwood.

See parabellum's post, twelve posts back, for an explanation of why they used the language they did.

quote:
Never watched it again.

If you can't handle the language you can't handle the language. But you're missing a pretty darn good series.

My wife and I watched the movie, last night. We felt they did a really good job of it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
San Francisco Cocksucka has stuck with me for some time! Haha

My wife named her uspsa match gun: Trixie
And she always reminds me that loopy cun7 had more balls than anyone on that show!

Her practice gun is black and is named after the N General Big Grin

I haven’t named my guns yet… maybe swedgin and wu would be fitting

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Now all y’all got me rewatching DW … again. Big Grin

~Robert A. Heinlein

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
True story-
Back when my ex and I first started dating we watched it together.
From episode one, I always called her loopy cunt.
As a term of endearment.
Through the years she called me cocksucker and I called her loopy cunt.
Only in good times.
During disagreements I only called her by name.

Today, I find that I am now using cocksucker in many ways.

Work, mainly.

I watch DW every year.

It will be and always has been a poetic story and I find myself quoting it most often.

It surpassed Tombstone for me.

From the git-go I was never offended.
But I do find myself wishing Wu lived near me....for working reasons of course.

I believe the fee was 5 dollars?

Posts: 5015 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Bump for the new year.

Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
Saw this thread bump and immediately had a mental image of Swidgen trying to explain BUMP to Wu.
Lots of poking the computer screen and they said
cocksucker a lot. Now I need to watch some Deadwood tonight.

Posts: 540 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post