SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Walking Dead Season 9, anyone in?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Walking Dead Season 9, anyone in? Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Let's be real, there is no good explanation that works for someone to be seriously overweight in the world of TWD, just like there's no reason to expect a deaf person in a small group in the wild would have survived.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought the entire fight between he and Daryl was bad. Daryl firing one arrow right at a door, then drops his crossbow for some unknown reason. Daryl gets a kill with a formidable axe...then drops the axe. He and beta fight with 4 huge knives, yet nobody gets a significant cut, I don't think. Then the thing with the knife and Beta's chest, and finally, Beta falls down the shaft, but Daryl doesn't confirm the kill.

I initially had many of the same thoughts, but upon further reflection came up with *possible* explanations...

•Daryl dropping his crossbow: with opponents so close and closing, he had absolutely no chance of reloading, and holding an empty two-handed weapon would just tie up his hands. Daryl immediately sized up the situation, and knowing he had to fall to close-quarter weapons, dropped the crossbow with prejudice.

•Letting go of the axe: in "real" combat, weapons could be firmly embedded in an opponent's body, requiring some real effort to dislodge. Again, Daryl did not have the luxury of time, so simply released his hold without hesitation.

•Lack of cut wounds in a knifefight: this probably is a valid reservation, though I guess technically possible. First rule of knife-fighting, everybody gets cut.

•Not confirming the kill: it probably would have been the best move, but remember Daryl was fighting in self defense, where the goal is not necessarily to kill the opponent, but simply to survive the fight. However, given how Beta is looming as a serious threat, finishing him off may have been more prudent.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I honestly do think the series is getting better.

Last night's episode was pretty good.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I was dozing off during the middle but caught most of the episode. During the flashback, was the other groups purpose of branding the hostages an attempt to harden the kids or did I miss something?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I just caught up. Maybe I missed something, but I don’t understand where all the guns went in the time lapse. I mean, they had all the guns from the Saviors battle, and knowledge/time/equipment to make ammunition, so why did everything go back to basic weaponry? I guess since Slipknot doesn’t seem to have anything but bladed weapons it would make for a short season, but seems like lazy writing to just pretend like they weren’t well-armed groups.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whisp:
I just caught up. Maybe I missed something, but I don’t understand where all the guns went in the time lapse. I mean, they had all the guns from the Saviors battle, and knowledge/time/equipment to make ammunition, so why did everything go back to basic weaponry? I guess since Slipknot doesn’t seem to have anything but bladed weapons it would make for a short season, but seems like lazy writing to just pretend like they weren’t well-armed groups.

Nothing has been said, but I have two theories on this. One, they have run out of ammunition and out of the raw resources for ammunition. Two, they have a finite of amount of remaining ammunition and they are saving it for another Savior type situation. Dispatching the walkers can be easily done with melee weapons at this point.

Posts: 1693 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm also a bit confused about the X branding thing. What would the plan be, if not to kill them, and if that's the plan what purpose does the X have?

I guess I might have been perusing the Sigforum during the episode a bit much, but I struggled at times to keep up with current Michone (white shirt?) vs flashback Michone (preggo) depending on the shot, etc. I got there eventually, but felt I shouldn't have to work that hard to keep up with the storyline. Again, I might have been reading about wait times on suppression devices a bit more than I should've.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I'm also a bit confused about the X branding thing. What would the plan be, if not to kill them, and if that's the plan what purpose does the X have?

I guess I might have been perusing the Sigforum during the episode a bit much, but I struggled at times to keep up with current Michone (white shirt?) vs flashback Michone (preggo) depending on the shot, etc. I got there eventually, but felt I shouldn't have to work that hard to keep up with the storyline. Again, I might have been reading about wait times on suppression devices a bit more than I should've.

The X thing was discussed on Talking Dead, some sort of blather about toughening up the heinous kids, making them better prepared to survive. It wasn't convincing, the branding seemed like it should represent something more tangible.

And yeah, the time shifting is really annoying, contrived and overused. You're right, still watching should be enough conviction on the viewer's part, quit playing games.

The after show constantly refers to "easter eggs", like you're not a real fan if you didn't pick up on them. None of this stuff actually makes the show smart, just stop it.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whisp:

The writers made the conscious decision that hand-to-hand fighting would become more prominent this season, from a visually dramatic perspective.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Gotta say this episode was pretty much a snoozer for me...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
They drew it out but they finally explained Michonne's isolationist beliefs that were so prevalent this season.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I agree that the back and forth in time thing got confusing. I had no clue who the little girl standing in the trailer was at first. I shouldn't have to work that hard.

I like this year much better than last year.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
They drew it out but they finally explained Michonne's isolationist beliefs that were so prevalent this season.

It was drawn out, alright. This could've been explained in about 10 minutes and then we could've moved on to other stuff; like the Highway Men or the Whisperers or Beta and his gang or whatever else. And I'm just about tired of Michonne's hair covering half her face and seeing her have to peek out from underneath the weave with her left eye. I just might be growing cynical of this whole show...

Let's see what episode is up next on my second binge-watch of Game of Thrones... Cool

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Dang

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I guess we know how next season is going to go now.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Dang

As in that's a lot of dead people? Wait, which dead people, those or those?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Carol is going to go full Negan on Alpha’s ass!!!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Dang

As in that's a lot of dead people? Wait, which dead people, those or those?

Little bit of both, but I was talking about the border "wall".

NRA Life Member

Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:
Carol is going to go full Negan on Alpha’s ass!!!
I think this is where they bring Negan out of the cell to pit him against Alpha. But yeah, I think Carol is going to go dark after this.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
About time that Carl Part II got nailed. It sucked that the Highwaymen bought it, though.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post