New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cowboy Bebop Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finished.
Interesting take on the finale. Looks like S2 will be somewhat from the CB movie, with the reference to the next bounty.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Started it a couple days ago, looks good, just stretching out the binge I guess.

No idea how the original anime got by me in the late 90s since this is just the sort of thing I've always thought was fun.

Should I try to find the original series and watch it first, or does it not matter much?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We watched episode six, last night. Really enjoying it Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Should I try to find the original series and watch it first, or does it not matter much?

I don't think it matters much. The live action borrows from the anime, but it's not a copy of it.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

I don't think it matters much. The live action borrows from the anime, but it's not a copy of it.

The original anime is on Netflix as well. If you enjoyed the live adaptation, give the anime a shot.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Barely made it through episode one and bailed.

Just not into it, I guess.

Liked the original way back when, though.

Oh well.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Watched the whole live action series on Netflix and LOVED IT !!! Wink Will try the anime version soon but I doubt it could top it. Thanks everybody for recommending this. 90% of the suggestions I get here are spot on.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
Will try the anime version soon but I doubt it could top it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
Will try the anime version soon but I doubt it could top it.

Big Grin
The original anime is much better, IMO.
The live adaptation was good, but didn't truly capture the spark of the original.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Finished the live action Bebop. Enjoyed it and looking forward to season 2. I had only watched a couple episodes of the Anime before starting the live action. Going back to watch the anime this weekend. I will say it seemed on my limited knowledge, that the music took a back seat in the live action. The music in the anime seemed to be an intricate part of the story.

SPOILER ALERT< DO NOT READ FURTHER!!!!!!!!!

I thought the casting was good, no major complaints. I thought Julia was perfect with the "so damn pretty she is hot" look. She reminded me of an ex girlfriend with the whole "Damsel in Distress but really an Apex Predator". I had to take a couple shots of Angel Envy Bourbon with my whiskey silver bullet stones (chilled really brings out the wine cask finish for that bourbon) due to the PTSD flashbacks from that relationship. Spike, I feel your pain.....and have similar scars, at least the mental, emotional, and spiritual ones. Wink

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.

I started with the anime. A little over the top but likeable. Not finished yet though.

But peeked as episode one of the live action. Start/stopped twice. I'm not liking the casting - they seem off and not really exuding the feel of their anime versions.

I may have liked the live action more if I started there first. The execution seems decent, just the cast and characters don't match the images I have created by the anime version.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've been alternating episodes between the old anime and new human series. My biggest takeaway is that the later tries almost too hard to be cute with double entendres.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The series has been cancelled less than a month after it was released due to low reviews.

https://www.hollywoodreporter....-netflix-1235060256/

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That's too bad. My wife and I loved it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bummer, it wasn't great (compared to the anime) but I enjoyed it.

A bit better casting & a bit less quirky dialog/innuendo, and it could've been great.
Vicious was probably my least favorite casting, don't know much on the actor, but he just didn't fit in the role, to me.

Wasn't sure how they were going to go about a 2nd season, apart from using the CB Movie as source material. Bummer we only got about 90 seconds of Ed.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Its cancelation probably had a lot to do with the main actress attacking the fans of the original series when she went on a rant on her Instagram calling them trolls and making fun of their reactions to the first look images that revealed she looked nothing like her character, Faye Valentine. She did this before the series was even released which no doubt turned off a huge swash of viewers who otherwise likely would've watched.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Its cancelation probably had a lot to do with the main actress attacking the fans of the original series when she went on a rant on her Instagram calling them trolls and making fun of their reactions to the first look images that revealed she looked nothing like her character, Faye Valentine. She did this before the series was even released which no doubt turned off a huge swash of viewers who otherwise likely would've watched.

I’m sure that didn’t help.

The live action show didn’t hold a candle to the original. As I predicted, the writers didn’t understand Faye or Faye’s purpose. They didn’t understand the mood of the original and how melancholy the themes were.

“You’re gonna carry that weight…”

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The preview looks good, but with the next season being cancelled is this still worth watching? Do they leave the season open or on a cliff hanger? I don't want to watch it if the season doesn't wrap itself up.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
The preview looks good, but with the next season being cancelled is this still worth watching? Do they leave the season open or on a cliff hanger? I don't want to watch it if the season doesn't wrap itself up.

They tie up the major arc of the season, there’s a tease for what would have been a season 2 but I wouldn’t call it a cliffhanger.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post