SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A Man Called Otto (movie trailer)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Man Called Otto (movie trailer) Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
Might be good. Just based on the trailer, it kinda reminds me of Grumpy Old Men.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYUX9l-m5I

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_j0h65ZhDM4

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A kinder gentler Gran Torino?

I'll watch.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
^^^
I'm glad you picked up on the GT vibe too. I kinda hate to compare Tom Hanks to Clint Eastwood... but I did notice that also.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remake of "A Man Called Ove". A recent movie from Sweden.

Posts: 974 | Location: Confluence of Mississippi & Ohio Rivers | Registered: October 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the Swedish version. It was pretty good. I'd imagine Hanks will do a good job. I don't recall the original being too woke.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The book "A man called Ove" is a bit offbeat but outstanding. The author Fredrick Backman also has several other books - Anxious People, Britt-Marie Was Here and a "Beartown" trilogy about a small remote town in northern Sweden obsessed with ice hockey that also are all a bit off beat but all excellent.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Looks kind of funny. "It's alright, it's a hybrid".

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
The original movie (based on the book as KHO mentioned) is pretty good. I really enjoyed it and I hope that Tom does not hollywoke it.

I believe you can watch the original on Amazon Prime. It is well worth it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I believe you can watch the original on Amazon Prime. It is well worth it.

You can and it is. Although I am not a fan of subtitles.

I am looking forward to Otto, will even go to a theatre for the first time in a long time. Tom Hanks is a very good actor and well suited to this role.

Some time ago I posted about A Man Called Ove in the what are you reading now thread. Doubt anyone took me up on it. I still highly recommend it.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My read on the character is Forrest Gump meets Sullenberger. He seems to have intellect and simplicity with the childlike purity that commands attention.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kho-

quote:
Some time ago I posted about A Man Called Ove in the what are you reading now thread. Doubt anyone took me up on it. I still highly recommend it.

I bought the book after your recommendation, just been busy and haven't read it yet- but i will before seeing both movie versions

Posts: 334 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh good, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It was a nice break from my usual Vince Flynn, Brad Thor,Tom Clancy etc reads. If you like the author's style which is kind of unique, then I also recommend Backman's other books - Beartown series, Anxious People, Britt Marie Was Here.

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I read the novel as well, and really enjoyed it. I've tried three other books of his and wasn't as taken by them, unfortunately. But A MAN CALLED OVE was terrific.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
If one more SOB at work says they thought of me when they saw this trailer…

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

lololololololololololololololololololol

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

Gotta admit, when I first saw this trailer and decided to post it on the forum, you came to mind instantly. I thought about going for the low hanging fruit, but decided against it. Wink

I'm sure several of us are going to be thinking of you when we get around to seeing this flick... so you might as well get used to what's coming, right now. Big Grin

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’m now listening to the audio book of A Man Called Ove.

I’m enjoying it but I’m extra hesitant to see the Tom Hanks version now.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night. Never read the book. It was plenty woke. They shoe horned in the Transgender virtue signaling minute. In my eyes it was unnecessary and contributed nothing to a movie that could have been cute. Virtue signaling points were achieved! That's all that matters in Hollywood of 2023. I give it a thumbs down.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
This is available on Netflix now. I watched it last night, and enjoyed it.

Very well-acted, especially by the little neighbor lady. Tom Hanks is outstanding as usual. And it's a pretty touching story. It's a "comedy-drama", and while it's not laugh-out-loud funny, it's humorously charming in spots.

quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
They shoe horned in the Transgender virtue signaling minute.

Luckily, it's just one scene. So if you can bring yourself to get over that scene (involving Otto reluctantly allowing the paper delivery kid to crash on his couch after they tell him their Dad kicked them out of the house for being trans), it's an enjoyable film.

If it helps, it balances out the obligatory "wokeness" of that one scene with several scenes demonstrating how the "real men" of previous generations are superior to the useless wimpy hipster men of the modern generation.

So in terms of overall wokeness, it's a wash, and therefore not anywhere near overtly woke.

There's even an appearance by a pretty sweet shorter-barreled coach gun.

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
A kinder gentler Gran Torino?

Pretty much.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug:
Remake of "A Man Called Ove". A recent movie from Sweden.

And a big seller novel.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post