SIGforum
A Man Called Otto (movie trailer)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/2640014794

December 30, 2022, 03:08 AM
Modern Day Savage
A Man Called Otto (movie trailer)
Might be good. Just based on the trailer, it kinda reminds me of Grumpy Old Men.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYUX9l-m5I

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_j0h65ZhDM4
December 30, 2022, 05:31 AM
Gustofer
A kinder gentler Gran Torino?

I'll watch.

December 30, 2022, 06:10 AM
Modern Day Savage
^^^
I'm glad you picked up on the GT vibe too. I kinda hate to compare Tom Hanks to Clint Eastwood... but I did notice that also.
December 30, 2022, 07:29 AM
Humbug
Remake of "A Man Called Ove". A recent movie from Sweden.
December 30, 2022, 02:16 PM
Russ59
I saw the Swedish version. It was pretty good. I'd imagine Hanks will do a good job. I don't recall the original being too woke.

P229
December 30, 2022, 04:37 PM
kho
The book "A man called Ove" is a bit offbeat but outstanding. The author Fredrick Backman also has several other books - Anxious People, Britt-Marie Was Here and a "Beartown" trilogy about a small remote town in northern Sweden obsessed with ice hockey that also are all a bit off beat but all excellent.
December 31, 2022, 07:12 AM
r0gue
Looks kind of funny. "It's alright, it's a hybrid".

January 01, 2023, 09:38 AM
redstone
The original movie (based on the book as KHO mentioned) is pretty good. I really enjoyed it and I hope that Tom does not hollywoke it.

I believe you can watch the original on Amazon Prime. It is well worth it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson
January 09, 2023, 04:30 PM
kho
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I believe you can watch the original on Amazon Prime. It is well worth it.

You can and it is. Although I am not a fan of subtitles.

I am looking forward to Otto, will even go to a theatre for the first time in a long time. Tom Hanks is a very good actor and well suited to this role.

Some time ago I posted about A Man Called Ove in the what are you reading now thread. Doubt anyone took me up on it. I still highly recommend it.
January 09, 2023, 07:26 PM
4MUL8R
My read on the character is Forrest Gump meets Sullenberger. He seems to have intellect and simplicity with the childlike purity that commands attention.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
January 10, 2023, 06:26 AM
Alyron
kho-

quote:
Some time ago I posted about A Man Called Ove in the what are you reading now thread. Doubt anyone took me up on it. I still highly recommend it.

I bought the book after your recommendation, just been busy and haven't read it yet- but i will before seeing both movie versions
January 10, 2023, 07:40 AM
kho
Oh good, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It was a nice break from my usual Vince Flynn, Brad Thor,Tom Clancy etc reads. If you like the author's style which is kind of unique, then I also recommend Backman's other books - Beartown series, Anxious People, Britt Marie Was Here.
January 10, 2023, 04:48 PM
at-home-daddy
I read the novel as well, and really enjoyed it. I've tried three other books of his and wasn't as taken by them, unfortunately. But A MAN CALLED OVE was terrific.
January 12, 2023, 05:39 PM
OttoSig
If one more SOB at work says they thought of me when they saw this trailer…

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!
January 12, 2023, 05:44 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

lololololololololololololololololololol

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
January 12, 2023, 06:25 PM
Modern Day Savage
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

Gotta admit, when I first saw this trailer and decided to post it on the forum, you came to mind instantly. I thought about going for the low hanging fruit, but decided against it. Wink

I'm sure several of us are going to be thinking of you when we get around to seeing this flick... so you might as well get used to what's coming, right now. Big Grin
January 12, 2023, 08:30 PM
Riley
I’m now listening to the audio book of A Man Called Ove.

I’m enjoying it but I’m extra hesitant to see the Tom Hanks version now.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
January 17, 2023, 01:00 AM
gw3971
Saw it last night. Never read the book. It was plenty woke. They shoe horned in the Transgender virtue signaling minute. In my eyes it was unnecessary and contributed nothing to a movie that could have been cute. Virtue signaling points were achieved! That's all that matters in Hollywood of 2023. I give it a thumbs down.
May 11, 2023, 03:48 PM
RogueJSK
This is available on Netflix now. I watched it last night, and enjoyed it.

Very well-acted, especially by the little neighbor lady. Tom Hanks is outstanding as usual. And it's a pretty touching story. It's a "comedy-drama", and while it's not laugh-out-loud funny, it's humorously charming in spots.

quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
They shoe horned in the Transgender virtue signaling minute.

Luckily, it's just one scene. So if you can bring yourself to get over that scene (involving Otto reluctantly allowing the paper delivery kid to crash on his couch after they tell him their Dad kicked them out of the house for being trans), it's an enjoyable film.

If it helps, it balances out the obligatory "wokeness" of that one scene with several scenes demonstrating how the "real men" of previous generations are superior to the useless wimpy hipster men of the modern generation.

So in terms of overall wokeness, it's a wash, and therefore not anywhere near overtly woke.

There's even an appearance by a pretty sweet shorter-barreled coach gun.

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
A kinder gentler Gran Torino?

Pretty much.
May 11, 2023, 04:04 PM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug:
Remake of "A Man Called Ove". A recent movie from Sweden.

And a big seller novel.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.