SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Best coming of age movies????
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best coming of age movies???? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Stand By Me is the best without a doubt.

The Goonies
The Sandlot
The Breakfast Club

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25335 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Summer of '42

The Last Picture Show

Cinema Paradiso

Captains Courageous

The Black Stallion

Posts: 107227 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A second tier thought - "You're a Big Boy Now".

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8306 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
“A Boy and His Dog”

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The Shootist

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16251 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Lord of the Flies

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
American Graffiti

The Last Picture Show

Stand By Me

Clueless, I know, I know

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Second Hand Lions

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Harry Potter movies.

Posts: 10797 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Old Yeller

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Empire of the Sun (with a very young Christian Bale)

The Black Stallion

The Outsiders

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mud
Lady Bird
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Stand By Me
Kid's

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
As a '70s kid, there are two films from that time period that perfectly capture the ambience of my youth. The first is Michael Ritchie's The Bad News Bears from 1976. I remember thinking that the kids from The Sandlot seemed too "1990s family-movieish" to be realistic. Foul-mouthed Tanner from Bad News Bears was way more like the kids I grew up with.

The second film took me forever to figure out what it was. I saw it on HBO at a friend's house in the 70s, and I never knew what the title was. It wasn't until I was looking through the back catalog of Phantasm director Don Coscarelli on IMDb in the mid-'00s did I stumble on the film from my childhood: Kenny & Company, also from 1976!

Kenny & Company deals with two school pals' daily adventures the week before Halloween and is the best time capsule of my youth I've ever come across. I told Don Coscarelli so when he appeared at a movie showing I went to, and I had him sign my DVD cover. He said he hadn't ever signed any memorabilia from that film before.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The Last Picture Show

American Graffiti

Stand By Me

The Breakfast Club

St. Elmo's Fire

American Pie

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Great post. Thank you! Most of the obvious ones that I can think of were mentioned.

Posts: 11341 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The first two I thought of were the first two on para’s list. I don’t know jack about the other three he listed Frown

Posts: 13155 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
The first two I thought of were the first two on para’s list. I don’t know jack about the other three he listed Frown

I grew up watching The Black Stallion. It was a fantastic movie and probably the first I thought of when I saw the thread title. A great performance by Mickey Rooney and Terri Garr. You can watch it for free here:

https://tubitv.com/movies/312412/the-black-stallion

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you could say Platoon was a 'coming of age' story on an individual level -- Chris -- and society's level as we sort of moved on from the decisive victory of the generation of WW2 military heroes to the moral ambiguity of Vietnam

violent yes but he undeniably was a different young man by the end of the movie -- innocence lost / eyes opened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0IfbNVCoCE

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My favorites:

Superbad
The Breakfast Club
Dazed and Confused
Badlands
Scent of a Woman
Dead Poet Society

And then, while the films based on it aren't great, the book Where the Red Fern Grows is probably my favorite coming of age story.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post