SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Best coming of age movies????
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best coming of age movies???? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
IT (Both the original and remake)

And Harry Potter, which was mentioned. These answers are going to be "generational", no doubt.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
It's so hard to choose the "best" of anything. It implies one but the title of the thread allows for multiple suggestions. I'll nominate 'Rushmore'.

Bill Murray isn't one of the first actors I think of when I'm asked who my favorite actor is, but he should be because when I consider the list movies I like a lot, many of his movies are on it. Rushmore may be my favorite Murray movie. It's more appropriate to consider it a Wes Anderson movie that Bill Murray is in.

For honorable mention, 'Harold and Maude'.

I love the soundtrack of both movies.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Stealing Home

Summer School

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
All-right-all-right-all-right it has to be Dazed and Confused.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Breaking Away

(Yes, I went to Indiana University.)

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1589 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Rushmore

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it fits depending on the "coming of age" timeframe but The Graduate, sort of coming of age for those leaving academia and entering the real world...

Coo, coo, ca-choo, Mrs. Robinson

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
One I always liked and don't see mentioned is Say Anything with John Cusack.

Posts: 671 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Not sure if it fits depending on the "coming of age" timeframe but The Graduate, sort of coming of age for those leaving academia and entering the real world...

Coo, coo, ca-choo, Mrs. Robinson

My Dad took me to that one when I was 16, I remember it well. He also took me to A Clockwork Orange, hardly remember that one, other than it was weird!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Repo Man.

And for my personal coming of age, the music of my youth. Urgh! A Music War…

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Some great films listed, but I can't believe nobody has mentioned Porky's yet. Sheesh. Roll Eyes

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Some great films listed, but I can't believe nobody has mentioned Porky's yet. Sheesh. Roll Eyes

I debated on having Porky’s, The Hollywood Knights, and American Pie in my list but they are all just silly comedies (does not mean they aren’t enjoyable because they are) outside the true realm of actuality I did not include them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My favorite coming of age (teen angst) film. Not a comedy.

...and my second favorite:

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Having mentioned 400 Blows (above), I must add that as a young man I was very fond of two of the sequels, Stolen Kisses and Bed and Board. It may have had something to do with Claude Jade, who plays Daniel's romantic interest, Christine.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Hey, page two and no one has mentioned Red Sky at Morning

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
Red Sky at Morning
I hven't seen that film since the early 1970s. You know what I remember? The silly scene about Richard Thomas being dared to touch cow and knocking himself out in the process.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
One could argue that Red Dawn (1984) is a 'coming of age movie', as is (to a lesser degree), Platoon.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Why not Wall Street, or The Mechanic?

How about The Matrix?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Why not Wall Street, or The Mechanic?

How about The Matrix?

Well, do they revolve around teenagers growing up?

'Red Dawn' certainly does, learning about survival, leadership, death, and bonding with a group of young friends to do so.

'Platoon' is centered around a new, impressionable teenager learning to survive in a group of other young men of a similar age and realizing things ain't all drive ins and burger joints any more.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Well, do they revolve around teenagers growing up?
I don't know. I've never seen those films.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023