SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Trek the Original Series - it still has it
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek the Original Series - it still has it Login/Join 
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted
I've been a Star Trek fan as long as I remember, and I've seen the episodes many times. My wife however, has not. There happened to be an episode playing the other day and it sucked her right in.
"This side of Paradise" - it was never one of my favorites, but I watched it with renewed interest and noted that Jill Ireland gave a great performance where you felt the heartache of her loss.
But its also the writing, sets, and music - the original music composed has to be some of the best ever for a TV series. Cool

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
we ditched cable a few months ago and have been watching 'free tv' as in Samsung channels, and Pluto,

pluto TV has one channel that runs TOS or TNG, and another that runs Voyager,

a few commercials, but they are also the updated versions of TOS where they redid the SFx

my wife rolls her eyes, she is a fan but not as much as I am,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I remember watching Star Trek in its original run in the late 60s, I really didn't understand it, I guess I was 7 years old at the time. I was more into Gomer Pyle, I Dream of Jennie and Bonanza. But in later years my brother and I watched it everyday when it was in syndication in the 70s, we have watched each episode many times over.

It has been a long time since I have watched an episode, but the most impressive aspect of the series was the casting, very good chemistry in regards to the principals.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Check out a podcast called Enterprise Incidents. Two fans do deep dives on each individual episode if your willing to get into the weeds. Each episode had a budget of around 175,000 dollars, and its interesting to learn how many anomalies came to be because of budget concerns. For example the transporter was created from a budget concern. External shuttle craft shots were way more expensive. The cloaking device was another special effect cost cutting invention.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goose5,

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'd love to re-watch ST TOS, but, the picture and audio quality are so poor, compared to what we've been watching for so many years, it's difficult to watch.

I wish they'd re-master it, cleaning up the PQ and audio--leaving it in the original 4:3 aspect ratio, of course. Not likely, but, it'd be cool if they did.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'd love to re-watch ST TOS, but, the picture and audio quality are so poor, compared to what we've been watching for so many years, it's difficult to watch.

I wish they'd re-master it, cleaning up the PQ and audio--leaving it in the original 4:3 aspect ratio, of course. Not likely, but, it'd be cool if they did.

*edited to say look below, but for those that always wanted more of the original Trek, the following has been out there for a while and is considered essentially cannon:

Star Trek Continues

Having seen it end-to-end I still highly recommend it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apprentice,

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I have the original DVD collection, but FWIW, they've re-issued the whole lot on Blu-Ray. Whether they cleaned it up or if the upscale helps I do not know.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
So: your lips, my command etc:

"On 31 August 2006, CBS Paramount Television announced that, in celebration of its 40th anniversary, Star Trek: The Original Series would return to broadcast syndication for the first time in sixteen years. Beginning with "Balance of Terror", each of the series' 79 episodes were digitally remastered to 1080p HD video, and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 Surround audio standards, [10] with all newly (re-)created visual effects and music. The refurbished episodes were converted from the original film to a high-definition format similar to that used on Star Trek: Enterprise. The opening theme was re-recorded in digital stereo with new vocals by Elin Carlson, and William Shatner's opening monologue was remastered from the original elements. Most notably, though, many of the visual effects were recreated using CGI by CBS Digital. The opening credits sequence was revamped, several matte paintings received a CGI face-lift, and spaceship exteriors including the Romulan Bird-of-Prey and the Klingon battle cruiser were recreated using state-of-the-art digital effects. However, for some reason, the credits at the end of the episode were not remastered and digitally enhanced. The new CGI Enterprise was based on the exact measurements, originally taken by Gary Kerr, of the original model, which is on display in the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC."

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
So: your lips, my command etc:

"On 31 August 2006, CBS Paramount Television announced that, in celebration of its 40th anniversary, Star Trek: The Original Series would return to broadcast syndication for the first time in sixteen years. Beginning with "Balance of Terror", each of the series' 79 episodes were digitally remastered to 1080p HD video, and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 Surround audio standards, [10] with all newly (re-)created visual effects and music. The refurbished episodes were converted from the original film to a high-definition format similar to that used on Star Trek: Enterprise. The opening theme was re-recorded in digital stereo with new vocals by Elin Carlson, and William Shatner's opening monologue was remastered from the original elements. Most notably, though, many of the visual effects were recreated using CGI by CBS Digital. The opening credits sequence was revamped, several matte paintings received a CGI face-lift, and spaceship exteriors including the Romulan Bird-of-Prey and the Klingon battle cruiser were recreated using state-of-the-art digital effects. However, for some reason, the credits at the end of the episode were not remastered and digitally enhanced. The new CGI Enterprise was based on the exact measurements, originally taken by Gary Kerr, of the original model, which is on display in the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC."

this,

I first noticed or heard about the upgrades when it was on Amazonm

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I purchased the Blu Ray remastered and enhanced box set. Very much a bargain, getting 79 episodes and many hours of extras for $82.

The color and clarity is greatly improved... the details on the various Federation uniform insignia are fantastic... but it's not like you can get full HDR detail out of the original film stock, even with upscaling. You can really pick out the stuntman doubles in fight sequences!

The CGI additions are smart...when ships explode or a phaser is fired... it looks similar to what one would expect from 80's technology. Somewhere between the campiness of the '60s effects and today's CGI. Just right, imho.

The audio balance is annoying... the credits and action sequences are more than a few decibels above the in-episode dialog ues. Have to keep the remote handy when the audio suddenly blasts.

They've also edited a few scenes...or so I have read. Some sequences don't seem to be the same as I remember from over-the-air broadcasts. Like the above posters, I've seen every episode many, many times.

If you're a Trekkie... these Blu Rays will be your plomeek soup!

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1589 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I dimly remember reading something about the audio for the original series. The producers were very aware that the shows would be watched on a tube TV with a small 4-inch or so speaker from across the living room. Therefore the special effects (especially the doors opening and closing) were cranked up to make sure they could be heard. Don't know if they balanced the audio out with the re-masterings but it was interesting to know that the producers knew how challenging a sci-fi show on old-school TVs was going to be.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
If you do get the Blu Rays, you also get the original episodes remastered with no CG upgrades. It's a 2 for 1 deal.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Apparently both the original and remastered versions are available on Paramount+?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always liked the comradery of the characters in the original. Jim and Spock, of course, always seemed like off-screen to be close friends, as it turns out they were.The mannerisms of the captain were entertaining as well.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My dad loved that show and he was not a TV watcher. I love the show too. It still holds up.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Apparently both the original and remastered versions are available on Paramount+?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The book 'The Making of Star Trek' by Stephen Whitfield and Gene Roddenberry talks much about the people, relationships, and struggles. Reading about that turned out to be much more interesting than expected, so I'd recommend the book if you can find a copy.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
The book 'The Making of Star Trek' by Stephen Whitfield and Gene Roddenberry talks much about the people, relationships, and struggles. Reading about that turned out to be much more interesting than expected, so I'd recommend the book if you can find a copy.

This book is available to borrow on archive.org.

https://archive.org/details/ma...rtrek00whit/mode/2up

Let's see if this embed works.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
One of many great scenes from "The Doomsday Machine."

I wish they'd handled the remastering of this one better. The battle scenes with the titular machine just didn't look right.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
One of many great scenes from "The Doomsday Machine."

One of the best episodes IMO. William Windom is great!
I read on one of the Star Trek websites that there were further stories in the ST books I think, and that there was more than one Doomsday Machine - apparently they were created to fight the Borg.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post