SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Metallica Single
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Metallica Single Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I am not a drummer but do hang out with one…he thinks Lars has been taking lessons because his drumming seems significantly tighter on this song.

Also not a drummer, but I agree with your friend. On my first listen, I actually had the thought "Wow, Lars is finally on the beat instead of behind it!"

quote:
Also, someone already did the “Justice for All’ treatment on the new song…pretty damn good actually.

Actually... I like that better. Big Grin

I'm one of those who actually thinks Justice was their best album. It was THE album that made me want to play guitar. Yes, you can barely hear the bass, the mix is all guitars forward with a bass drum that's detuned to the point where it sounds like a half-inflated soccer ball, and it's a total riff salad, but dammit, I like it. Wink

Posts: 17046 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I think it's more of a case of Lars giving a shit instead of getting drumming lessons. Right around St. Anger, the entire band sounded like shit and not even their live stuff was any good. It took them a while but they're back sounding great live and seem to be enjoying themselves.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I think it's more of a case of Lars giving a shit instead of getting drumming lessons. Right around St. Anger, the entire band sounded like shit and not even their live stuff was any good. It took them a while but they're back sounding great live and seem to be enjoying themselves.

There is a LOT of truth to this. Their Hardwired tour left me very unimpressive.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12302 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
They were great when they hit KC in 2019 and I would have loved to have seen either S&M 2 show live.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, this drumming style suits Lars’s ability quite well. That fast paced double bass sounds right at home with 80s Metallica.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
So, I'll add to my diatribe...

If I was just a tad bit crazier, as the guy sat in his car blasting that shit all over the neighborhood I would have opened the side door of my work van removed my Sig P239 chambered in 357 Sig and walked over and killed his stereo... no one would have even heard the shot.

You can have your metal music...just don't think I want to share it with you.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Mind your manners. Show consideration for your fellow forum members. Be quiet unless you have something to contribute to this thread other than your pissing and moaning. Cut it out. If I have to revisit this thread, you have my word that you will not like it.

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hardwired To Self Destruct was awesome, and this song gives some really good Motorhead vibes. Full album comes out in April. They’re also doing a world tour doing 2 shows in each city. No repeats and the first night their opening act is Pantera and the 2nd night is Five Finger Death Punch.

Yep! They're coming to St. Louis. My brother and I got our tickets for both nights, front row.

Excited to see FFDP as well.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm just glad they got rid of the snare drum from St. Anger. Boing boing boing.

But seriously, this one is really good. I pretty much wrote them off after And Justice for All because they just weren't living up to Master of Puppets in writing or production. It's good to see them be great again.

I agree that Lars has really upped his game. Much tighter.

Posts: 45324 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I agree that Lars has really upped his game.

Well, it would've been hard for him to get any worse... Wink

Posts: 32412 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I am surprised.

I am of the ilk that Justice was THE album for them.
But this song gave me hope.
I haven't seen them live since the Black album.

But with the lineup they have, I am going next year.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Something I did find out odd that it's Pantera with Zakk Wylde on guitar. I'll be passing this year as I don't want to drive out to St. Louis for the weekend.

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Well, no one can duplicate Dimebag, but Zakk will certainly make it a go....

Posts: 5015 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There is a LOT of truth to this. Their Hardwired tour left me very unimpressive.

Well, St. Anger wasn't great admittedly. But I saw the Hardwired tour here and enjoyed it, along with that album as well.

I know there are lots of purists who don't consider anything after the Black Album as real Metallica, and even purer purists who don't consider anything after "Justice" as real Metallica. Then a select few who refuse to even count "Justice."

I enjoyed even "Load" and "Reload" and some of my favorite songs are off those records as well.

St. Anger and Death Magnetic are probably my least favorites, with St. Anger being my absolute least, but even they have SOME redeeming qualities.

Meh, whatever. To each their own. I'm going to this tour, since for some miracle, of the 22 cities they chose for this tour, St. Louis was included (no idea why). We already got our tickets, and I'm gonna have to work 5 overtime shifts to pay for the front row tickets. Worth it. Will be my 5th Metallica show, but I'm also excited to see FFDP, as that will be my first time.

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing it's one of the Midwest stadiums that has a dome since they're coming in November if I remember right.

St. Anger isn't awful, and a group of guys did a "remastered" version of the entire album if it wasn't recorded in the bathroom down the hall from the recording studio:

Metallica also did a new riff of Frantic and St. Anger on their Hardwired tour that was pretty good:

That Manchester show was awesome as it was pissing rain for most of the night and these grandpas kept going where other pussies would have called off.

And this one from S&M 2:

King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I’ve listen to this now a few times. I love the song overall, the music is great, but the lyrics just really aren’t doing it for me anymore with Metallica like they used to. I will still buy the album anyway.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38583 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Another new song released.

Posts: 4980 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Damn that new single sounds good. I think I’m going to like this album. Technically I never bought the full album of Death Magnetic or Hardwired to Self-Destruct, but maybe I’ll shore up my collection.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
That was much more impressive than Lux Aerterna.