New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheel of Time Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted
F*@k Game of Thrones, this series is finished and great.

Who's going to watch with me??

Wheel of Time

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm in.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I keep seeing it listed but I turn away each time I read the overview. Maybe I'll give it shot.

What do you like about it?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I started reading the books back in the early/mid 90s
Books 1-6 were very good.
Then Jordan seemed to kind of fall apart and lose track of where it all was going.
Then he died.
Then they hired some guy I’d never heard of to complete the series using Jordan’s notes.
Best decision ever!
Sanderson breathed new life into the books and finished them off with a bang.

Since then I’ve become a bit of a Sanderson fanboy.
Dude writes some really great stuff!

I’m hoping that hollywood doesn’t PC/woke the series to death.
Leave it as it is. A quality fantasy story.
Don’t pull politics into it and destroy it.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
Then Jordan seemed to kind of fall apart and lose track of where it all was going.
Then he died.
Then they hired some guy I’d never heard of to complete the series using Jordan’s notes.
Best decision ever!

The last three books were amazing, and the last book is probably one of the best I've ever read, but certainly can't be read without the rest of the series. Also the series that I skipped more whole chapters than any other series I've ever read. In fact, maybe the only series where I've skipped any chapters period. I gloss over some paragraphs sometimes but some of Wheel of time dragged on so much I could probably have just skipped whole books and not felt bad.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Planning on it. I think I made it to book 8 or so. I have the audiobooks but they were getting old by that book. I may start back up if the tv show renews my interest.

Posts: 17870 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I am in.

I read the original series starting whenever book 1 came out. As the gap between books being published grew my friends and I joked that Jordan would die before finishing the series. He did indeed die but in my opinion, the series was given a proper finish.

A lot of people complain about the pacing of the books post book 6 or so. The year before the final book came out I did a re-read of the entire series and in my opinion, the story flowed really well even in the later books when you did not have to wait 2 years between volumes.

I really hope this new series does justice to Jordan's story. There are going to be a ton of comparisons to Game of Thrones. WOT is much more of the traditional fantasy journey. Less dark and more magic-heavy than GOT. Willing to give it a shot.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then he died.
Best decision ever!

I agree. I read all except for the last 2. life seemed to get in the way. I may need to dust them off and read them.

Sanderson was more than a hired gun. I think they like one another

WHEEL OF TIME FAQ
QUESTION: WHAT IS A MEMORY OF LIGHT
“A Memory of Light” is the tentative title for Book Twelve of The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Mr. Jordan passed away in 2007, and was unable to finish this final volume of his fantasy epic.

QUESTION: I HEARD THAT YOU WOULD BE WRITING THE WHEEL OF TIME BOOK 12. IS THIS TRUE?
Yes, it is true. You can read the official announcement of my involvement in this project on this Press Release.

Note that while I’ll be writing the words of the book, the novel was outlined by Mr. Jordan before his death. His wife, who was also his editor, will be heavily involved as well. I am writing this book, but it is not my book. It is Mr. Jordan’s book, and our goal will be to make it fulfill his vision for the series as much as possible.

QUESTION: WHY DID THEY PICK YOU?
I wish with all I can give that I weren’t the one doing this book. I wish it were Robert Jordan himself, as I am a long time fan of the series and his works. I think his death is a tragedy for the fantasy community, one we will be feeling for many years to come.

However, he made it clear that he wanted this book written. After his death, his wife read through novels by several authors whom Tom Doherty (the C.E.O. of Tor) and others had suggested. She enjoyed my books, and choose me—partially because of my novels, and partially because she had read my eulogy of Mr. Jordan and knew that I was a big fan and follower of the series.

QUESTION: DID YOU SEEK TO BE INVOLVED IN THIS PROJECT.
No. I had no idea I was even being considered until I was called by Harriet.

QUESTION: HOW DID YOU BECOME INVOLVED?
In October of 2007 received a call from Harriet, Robert Jordan’s wife, asking if I was interested in the project. I was stunned, to be honest. A few weeks earlier, I’d written an essay on my website discussing what Robert Jordan and his books had meant to me. Apparently, this drew some attention at Tor, and someone forwarded the link to Harriet.

When she called me, I said that I would certainly be interested in working on this book. A month or so passed as she considered. In late November, I received a call officially offering me the chance to complete the book.

QUESTION: WHAT WAS YOUR REACTION TO BEING ASKED?
I felt honored and overwhelmed at the same. While I didn’t ask for this, the truth is that I’m extremely excited to be involved. I love this series, and I want to see Book Twelve written as much as any other fan. For a writer like me, the next best thing to having Mr. Jordan write the novel is being able to work on it myself.

I can’t do the job that Mr. Jordan could have. Nobody can. But I will do the best I possibly can, and am confident in the quality of my work. This will be a fantastic book. His vision and foresight will make certain of that.

QUESTION: WHAT OF YOUR OTHER BOOKS? WILL THEY BE DELAYED?
My readers shouldn’t notice much of a delay. Mistborn 3 is done and turned in. Warbreaker—the stand alone book I’m doing after the Mistborn books—is on its last few drafts. As I work on Book Twelve in 20008, I should have time to do a few minor revisions and copyedits for Warbreaker, and it is planned for a mid-2009 release. For my kid’s series, I have the next two books done as well, and they are in similar states of editing.

After spending 2008 A MEMORY OF LIGHT, I’ll have to work hard in 2009 to get my next book done (the one that will come out in 2010) but I am certain I can do that. I should continue to release one Tor book and one Scholastic book a year, as I have been doing. I think that part of the reason I was considered for this project is because I work ahead on my contracts and am good at meeting, and exceeding, deadlines.

That said, I have no idea how much work Book Twelve will take, as I’ve never undertaken a project such as this one before. I could be wrong, and it could delay my books following Warbreaker. However, I think the chances of that are slim.

QUESTION: SO WHEN WILL A MEMORY OF LIGHT BE OUT?
I can’t say, honestly. As I mentioned above, I’ve never done something like this before, and I can’t really project how long it will take to go through the notes and outline material, let alone how long it will take to write and draft. I would say, tentatively, that we’ll see the book in stores 2009, but that’s really just a guess.

QUESTION: WILL YOU BE WRITING OTHER BOOKS IN THE WHEEL OF TIME WORLD?
I honestly can’t say. Everyone is focused on Book Twelve right now. Harriet feels a great urgency to get this novel done, and I can understand why. We have all been waiting to read it for many, many years.

I can say that none of us working on this project feel the same urgency about the other books Mr. Jordan was planning. (Those include the two prequels, the outrigger novels, and a new series called THE INFINITY OF HEAVEN.) This isn’t because we think they would have been bad books, but because we’re not certain Mr. Jordan would have wanted them written in his absence.

Book Twelve needs to be done. The others don’t need to be done. I know that many fans have strong feelings about those unwritten books, and I know that a lot of you want to see them. However, I ask that you please respect Harriet’s ability to decide their fate. If she feels that Mr. Jordan wouldn’t have wanted them done or if she feels that there aren’t enough notes or materials to complete them in a way that would have made him proud, then the books should not be written.

None of us want to simply exploit Mr. Jordan’s name or series for quick cash. We’d rather leave his legacy as it stands than have bad books attached to his name. Beyond that, I personally am working on this project more in respect toward Mr. Jordan’s name than for any other reason. I got into writing because I wanted to write the stories in my heart, not because I was looking to make large amounts of money.

Working on Book Twelve is an honor that I don’t think could have been matched by anything else in my professional career, but I have no intention of turning the Wheel of Time into my career. That isn’t to say that I’d turn down other Wheel of Time books if Harriet decided she wanted to do them, but it is to say that you shouldn’t expect to see Wheel of Time novels being released frequently or regularly. If we decide to do any of the other projects, it will be years from now, and only after careful thought and deliberation.

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then he died.
Best decision ever!

Get out of my head!!! Anyway, this ^^^. In spades.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Well the show dropped today at 7pm EST.
(first 3 episodes anyway)

===========SPOILER ALERT===========

Right out the gate it pissed me off.
Perrin is married.
Mat is a thief.
Abelle Cauthon is a womanizer.
They went slightly woke - they stated that the dragon could be reborn as female so Egwene is in the list of possibles.
Everyone in EF instantly recognized Morraine as Aes Sedai.
Rand's trip through the night with his wounded father is completely skipped.
Perrin accidentally kills his wife during Winternight (why even give him a wife if they're going to kill her off immediately? Now it's just this plot point (his guilt) that's hanging there for no reason.
Padan Fain is very obviously (too obviously) a villain.
Nynaeve is kidnapped by trollocs but is able to escape.
No stop at Baerlon; no Min Farshaw.
Thom Merrilin doesn't get introduced until episode 3 (after Shadar Logoth).
No mention of Elyas Machera at all.
Whitecloaks had an Aes Sedai held prisoner. Their method for not letting her channel? Cut off her hands. Because that totally makes sense.

The whole thing seems very rushed overall.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Well...uhhh...Okay...That was interesting.

If you've never read the books you'll probably like this as a well done adventure story.

If you've read the books but aren't too concerned about an overly accurate visual retelling of the story as written by Robert Jordan you'll probably like this as a well done adventure story.

If you've read the books and were expecting a visual representation of the story as written by Robert Jordan you'll probably be very disappointed.

The visual effects are amazing. I really liked how they showed The One Power being used. The Fade was spot on as were the Trollocs.

It's not what I was truly hoping for. I really wanted to see Jordan's story brought to life visually-to really see his world outside of my own imagination. This is not that. Having said that I will continue watch as I do think it was well done for what it is-an adventure story set in the fantasy genre that simply borrows a Title and some names from an existing work.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
EDIT - I should have read the list of grievances posted above. What a pile of shit this thing is.

Good grief.

**** POSSIBLE SPOILER ****

WTF. The first two sentences blames the breaking on MEN. It was effing BOTH men and women that opened the bore. The whole point of the bore was it was using both to get to the "true source" which was a lie to begin with.

Aaand they've just tossed Egwene into a river, and since she lived she's a woman now or something.

Good lord. I have to watch more?

Okay Sam Raimi's "The Legend of the Seeker" did more justice to Terry Goodkind's novels than this is doing to Robert Jordan's. Holy smokes this is so bad.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9141 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Got through 3 episodes. Kept my interest; not great but sufficient intriguing. Has a kind of LOTR vibe. Seems more targeted towards teens. Questions abound. Like what was that black stuff that powdered the horse. Sentient? Commanded by the dark one? Or just generally antibiotic?

I’ll continue to watch if i remember but not really hooked in yet.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Like what was that black stuff that powdered the horse. Sentient? Commanded by the dark one? Or just generally antibiotic?

That was Mashadar.
It's supposed to be a mist that creeps around the city.
In here it was.... well... not a mist.

The Dark One and the evil in Shadar Logoth are very VERY different things.
They're both evil as can be - but they're also not friendly to each other.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
No one looks like they do in my mind - based on the few book illustrations.

Posts: 17870 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well the show dropped today at 7pm EST.
(first 3 episodes anyway)

Right out the gate it pissed me off.
Perrin is married.
Mat is a thief.
Abelle Cauthon is a womanizer.
They went slightly woke - they stated that the dragon could be reborn as female so Egwene is in the list of possibles.
Everyone in EF instantly recognized Morraine as Aes Sedai.
Rand's trip through the night with his wounded father is completely skipped.
Perrin accidentally kills his wife during Winternight (why even give him a wife if they're going to kill her off immediately? Now it's just this plot point (his guilt) that's hanging there for no reason.
Padan Fain is very obviously (too obviously) a villain.
Nynaeve is kidnapped by trollocs but is able to escape.
No stop at Baerlon; no Min Farshaw.
Thom Merrilin doesn't get introduced until episode 3 (after Shadar Logoth).
No mention of Elyas Machera at all.
Whitecloaks had an Aes Sedai held prisoner. Their method for not letting her channel? Cut off her hands. Because that totally makes sense.

The whole thing seems very rushed overall.
[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Wokeness fail of epic prportions. The dragon can only be male. They even say it multiple times in the 3 episodes.
Male side of the power is corrupted. Etc etc
Kind of the whole basis of the series

Posts: 1037 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In just re-started the books (on #3) again so I will wait until I finish.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Haven't read the books but am aware of it all and its popularity and the story of the writers, and a few of my close friends have read them all, etc.

Started the show on Prime today, and am realizing right away that I'm apparently pretty worn out on Fantasy, surely after GoT, and am finding it hard to care about "new" magic and places and cultures, too similar-but-not to all other Fantasy, quasi ancient culture, old clothes, some magic, archery and swords, yadda yadda.

I'm going to ignore it for a while and come back later, maybe appreciate it more then. I don't think I'll watch past episode 2 for now.. too DejaVu for me.

Enjoy.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
In just re-started the books (on #3) again so I will wait until I finish.

Only 11 more 1000+ page books to go Smile

Posts: 1037 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I guess that without having read the books, the series would be OK.

I think the biggest issue(s) is/are not the the changes themselves, but the fact that almost all of the changes were completely unnecessary.

I like the grim and serious tone, but am left scratching my head as to why they changed things around so unnecessarily.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post