Tools

Wheel of Time Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I dont recall a Aes Sedai lesbian love affair in the books lol

There was mention of “pillow friends” in the tower.

At this point they seem to be taking other shortcuts and deviations - like the Ways entry

Posts: 17870 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
At this point, it's basically lesbian fan fiction made into a tv series.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This show has no legs.

6 episodes in I bet you still don’t really have a favorite character. I know I don’t. In the books it’s easy. Rand is the story at first. Here it’s Moraine because it is more woke. Woman, lesbian, blah blah blah.

Matt in the books morphs into the best storyline. In this version I can’t stand him.

Perrin is boring in the book and he’s boring here. So a wash. Lol

This could have been competition for GOT but they are butchering it.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
What's with the implication Nyneave is the Dragon? Obviously Logain saw her Channel. He could only have seen that had she Channeled the male half of the power.

Then it was brought up again that she could be the Dragon.

At this point I'm just watching to see what, and how badly, they mangle next.

Total shitshow

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
I've been entertained by this so far. I don't do much TV, but I don't think this horrible.

I don't give a shit about woke ideas or casting. I just want to watch a fucking show and simply watch the idiot box.

No way in hell you get a story so big translated to film and appease the readers.

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I've had it on in the background at work here and there. I just looked over and there's a fight in episode 4, near the end, and it smacks of Sam Raimi. It would NOT have surprised me to see Xena come flying in from off camera. Yikes.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9141 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've started binge watching it. It's entertaining for me. It's a simple sword and sorcery tale without the contrived complexity of GOT and its underwhelming end.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19574 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
The first book in the series. The Eye of the World is a pretty hard rip-off of Lord of the Rings but written well enough to capture you.

The rest of the series takes a hard turn into world-building, heavy foreshadowing, and lore. Of course, you have another 13 or so 1K page books to flesh it all out.

I feel that the first book approach was a lot like A New Hope. A very self-contained story that once it was a hit then you could really bring the vision to life.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I've started binge watching it. It's entertaining for me. It's a simple sword and sorcery tale without the contrived complexity of GOT and its underwhelming end.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I dont recall a Aes Sedai lesbian love affair in the books lol

Uuuuuugh...they screwed up this story so much. All of the characters are completely FUCKED. This is not Robert Jordan's vision. Not even close.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17238 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Uuuuuugh...they screwed up this story so much. All of the characters are completely FUCKED. This is not Robert Jordan's vision. Not even close.

Yeah, well he’s dead. Brandon Sanderson probably gave them his full endorsement, though. Makes me sick.

I’m of the opinion these “adaptations” are simple big budget non-fan-fiction. Not to be compared to the original works.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Yeah, well he’s dead. Brandon Sanderson probably gave them his full endorsement, though. Makes me sick.

I’m of the opinion these “adaptations” are simple big budget non-fan-fiction. Not to be compared to the original works.

Nope.
Sanderson said on his website he's not super pleased with all the decisions they've made on the series.
He says that overall they're doing a good job - but the tone of the statement (reading between the lines)... I'm pretty sure he's just as upset as the rest of us readers.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I’m happy with the season 1 ending. It has the usual victory but it came at a price. What was wonky for me was what happened at the throne room and the horn.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19574 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I have all the books. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to finish this first terrible season and I think I've figured out one of the hundred problems with this show.

The cast always looks like larpers.

Every scene is full of scrawny (diverse) actors that look like they've lived nothing but a life of ease and comfort. They act and move as though the hardest journey they've ever undertaken was to Whole Foods in order to restock their Oat Milk supply. Their clothing is always stainless, stiff, and as far from well-used as one could get. Their hair perfect and clean, and their skin smooth as butter. Their armor is always clean and shiny, and any leather that's ever seen looks as though it was skinned the day before.

This is a show with a cast of larpers.

What a sad, sorry, unserious, politically petty show.

EDIT - Finally finished.

I honestly have no words that could remotely be considered praise for this show. What a nasty bucket of dreck. Every situation is made worse by male involvement and bettered through actions or planning of women. Every central female character has innate strength to just be awesome at everything, and every male sucks at what they're supposed to be good at.

Hell, even the supposed leader at the gap gets a spear directly through the dead center of his chest in the heat of battle through a tiny arrow loop that a trollock somehow managed to pry open (bricks and rock?) with great difficulty, bring his spear to bear, and never once did the godawfully written larper think to dodge anything.

What a pile of shit this show is.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9141 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
So...the last comments were really negative. But I am loving this season and think it has improved quite a bit. Anybody left watching season 2?

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. My buddy hates the version they have made but loves to tell me how much I should watch it. I struggled through the first 2 episodes of season 2 and I can’t take it.

The simple answer is that this will play much much better for those who haven’t read the books or more importantly loved the books. This ain’t the books. Yup, Jordan is dead. And rolling in his grave. Sanderson’s comments have not been positive.

They have taken way too many liberties with the story. Gay warders, Moraine is stilled, the girls could be the Dragon, Liandrin is now a major character, you could list the changes for pages. As a lover of the series I hate this adaptation.

I don’t think it is getting better.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
So I have a history with WOT from the books to now.

I have put aside my (rightfully) earned anger at Jordan for GOTing the series because Sanderson finished them at last(least?). And while I'm not quite done (I'm in the middle of the last book), I'm going to be good with how the written series ended.

I had made a pledge to finish the written books before the end of Season 1 of the Amazon series (this when the series was first announced) and was just beginning the last book when the trailers dropped for WOT. I was excited but one thing lead to another and I was still in the first third of the last book when the series dropped.

So . . . I was less than excited about it. I KNEW it was going to be difficult to put everything from book to TV. I knew MAJOR shortcuts and stuff were going to have to be made. I was okay with that. But Season 1 had tons of compromises and concessions that I didn't like and then, at the end when the end of the Season (to say it politely) did not match the end of the first book, I was . . . sorta pissed? Majorly ambivalent from then on? Something a little less than pissed but something more aggressive than tepid.

Season two has really pissed me off. There is a lot of good things mixed in with some infuriating choices that I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

So, at least for me, I am out. Now my family, who has not read the books at all, they enjoy them and I will do my best to watch and suffer through for them. But this is my prediction: there is no way that this series is going to even closely go the distance. Maybe there will be a jump from book 5 to 14 for endings sake. The fans of the WOT books are not going to watch this complete (and bad) rewrite of their love.

This is no Expanse, which is a similarly huge number of book pages condensed into TV form. But IMO they did this very very well dealing with real world issues and problems as best they could while keeping the spirit of the books alive. Was it changed, absolutely. Did it ruin the watching? Not for me, and it was some of the best (IMO THE BEST) and most realistic space combat on the screen.

So I hope those that enjoy the series read the books and see what a great epic it was (except for books 7-10 which are inexcusable and should have been at best one book and probably just one half of a book).

My $.02

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Expanse, I have read the books once and watched the series 4 times I think. Probably watch it again soon. Going to watch the Babylon 5 remake soon...

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
We just finished Season 2 and I enjoyed it. My wife is a non-book reader and I had to explain a lot of things to her so she could make sense of what was going on.

I started the series in the 90s and reread all of the books before I started A Memory of Light.

There have been a lot of changes but in my mind there will have to be a lot of necessary shortcuts because of the sheer length and density of the material.

I am fine with the series so far.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post