SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Gilligan's Island
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gilligan's Island Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
I found it kind of silly - but enjoyable - even as a kid, and still do as a "seasoned citizen" adult. But I have developed a new appreciation for it, in the form of the props. Whoever made them was a genius. I often wish I could even think up, let alone do stuff like that. They looked exactly as you'd expect for something cobbled together out of native materials. Some, like the pedal-powered water delivery systems, were practical; others, like the dentist's drill and the Geiger counter, you really have to suspend your disbelief for. Big Grin

My favorite was the one where the Skipper heard on the radio that he was being blamed for the Minnow's wreck. To retrace their steps and recreate the incident, the Professor constructed a mockup of the boat, which was mounted on some sort of gimbal and pulled with ropes to simulate the pitching and rolling of the deck. For further realism, to simulate wind, Ginger pedaled a giant fan (whose "blades" were made from palm tree branches); to simulate rain, Mary Ann threw buckets of water on them. The methodology was sound. The Skipper, it was revealed later, was exonerated because he had relied on a weather report that was found to be bogus.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I was a big fan as a kid and I swear I saw every episode at least twice. My family used to kid me that I knew all the lines.

As for the wreck episode, I remember it well and all the details you mention.

Haven't seen it in years now.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38683 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Haven't seen it in years now.
If you get the Sundance TV channel, they run "blocks" or "marathons" on Tuesday mornings. IFC also has - or had - it. For some episodes both networks have disclaimers to the effect of "this program contains outdated cultural references" or some shit. One of these was the one where a native king (white actors playing Pacific Islanders!) was looking to acquire a "white goddess" (Gilligan in drag!) for his wife.

Another one had a Japanese sailor (played by Vito Scotti, a white guy!), who didn't know World War II was over, taking the castaways captive. This was a real thing in the 1960s. Some of these "holdouts" did so well into the 1970s. The last one, c. 1974, didn't surrender until they brought his former CO to come tell him in person.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I remember both those. Big Grin

I'll have to check to see if I can get those channels. Would be a fun way to waste some time. Smile

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38683 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw a short story about Dawn Wells. Everyone else in the cast was paid a set fee per episode. Wells worked a deal which gave her residual income which has kept her well off for decades.
Ginger or Mary Ann? Mary Ann for the $$$!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Just saw a short story about Dawn Wells. Everyone else in the cast was paid a set fee per episode. Wells worked a deal which gave her residual income which has kept her well off for decades.

Unfortunately, I think that one is a (persistent) myth. Wells encountered significant financial duress in her later years, especially due to health issues (a Gofundme was even set up in her name).

Snopes (yeah, I know)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Very creative prop makers. One of my favorite shows as a kid and I still watch reruns when I stumble across them.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
When I was in college we would play a drinking game for the pledges during hell week.

Every time they said Gilligan's name they had to drink.

Naturally we played the episode where Gilligan got lost and everyone was running around the island yelling his name...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3485 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
When I was in college we would play a drinking game for the pledges during hell week.

Every time they said Gilligan's name they had to drink.

Naturally we played the episode where Gilligan got lost and everyone was running around the island yelling his name...

Back in college, some friends had a party and had a whole keg of beer left over. So a few of us gathered there to help them drink it on a Sunday afternoon. Gilligan's Island came on the TV so someone suggested playing the Gilligan Game. Their version was to take a drink every time they said Gilligan's name and you had to chug what you had in your Red Solo cup whenever the Skipper called out, "Little Buddy."

The first episode was normal but you can guess which episode aired next. Yep, Gilligan lost/hiding on the other side of the island. We had to keep a running total of how may times things had been said because we couldn't refill our cups fast enough!

Crazy days, long ago.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's one the great classics that is appreciated more today than when it originally aired.
So many of those old classic sitcoms that surpass the ones of today by a mile.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Mary Ann or Ginger ?

Ginger is “high maintenance arm candy”, while Mary Ann is the girl you introduce to your Mama as the feature mother of her grand babies.

Mary Ann, all the way.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Mary Ann or Ginger ?

Ginger is “high maintenance arm candy”, while Mary Ann is the girl you introduce to your Mama as the feature mother of her grand babies.

Mary Ann, all the way.

Ginger or Mary Ann? Naw, Bailey Quarters

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I go with Ginger.
No learning curve or the emotional outbreak from it.
A professional model that knows the ropes and is built to last.

Posts: 4630 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Mary Ann in a heartbeat!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
agreed on Bailey,

and with my luck I would be stuck on the island and Ginger and Mary Ann would be lesbians,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure if they ever do a remake of the show that will be one of the major changes....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post

What more can be said?

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Ginger or Mary Ann? Yes.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In the opening credits of the first, black & white season, Mary Ann and the Professor were "and the rest." Later they got upgraded to "with." IIRC this was at the insistence of Bob Denver.