SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anyone playing Starfield yet?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone playing Starfield yet? Login/Join 
Picture of PakRatJR
posted
I didn't really have any plans to get it but my curiosity won out I guess lol.

Grabbed it late last week. I don't have a whole ton of time into it yet but even tho it did kinda start a bit slow it's kinda starting to grow on me.

I'm coming from the Fallout games and so far I'm somewhat hesitantly wanting to compare it to Fallout 4. Basically sort of feeling like 4 but in space, with a space ship and planets to explore instead of just "wandering the wasteland" as it were.

It's kinda neat how you actually get some of the side stuff just by wandering around places and "overhearing" conversations. Things will just start popping up in your list. It also does make for a bit of a head scratcher tho being I'm not entirely sure where some of them actually came from Razz

Haven't had a chance to get into the outpost building side of it yet, I don't think I'm even really able to yet, but I have been dabbling in the ship building and that's kinda fun so far. I can definitely see this being a game that will burn a lot more time than Fallout did with all the exploring and such that you can do. Not to mention me having to already google where the starting city was because I have spent more time doing some of the side quest stuff so far that I legit completely forgot where it was Big Grin

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been playing it for a little less than a week. Had to upgrade my PC to add a SSD since it’s required. I’ve also played Fallout 3,4, and New Vegas, and a lot of stuff is very familiar. The ground combat is very similar to the Fallout games, but they deleted VATS for ground combat.

Not really liking the space combat, though. It’s pretty difficult, especially since many of the engagements are multiple ships against you. Usually it’s one higher level ship and a couple of lower level ships, but when you concentrate on the biggest threat, you get chopped up by the lower level ships. Also, the ship build/upgrade screens are some of the most incomprehensible and obtuse in any game. I’ve tried multiple times to upgrade my weapons, shields, and engines, but keep getting errors, especially for ship mass.

Never liked settlement building in Fallout 4, so I’m probably going to avoid building any outposts unless I’m required to. At least there’s no Preston Garvey constantly telling you that a settlement needs your help.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm currently going through the questline started by signing up with UC Vanguard, then joining UC SysDef in order to infiltrate the Crimson Fleet and take down their leader. So far, I've had a lot of fun.

I've also managed to upgrade to Tier B ships. Oh. My. God. I bought a Deimos Aegis and it's so much better than using the Frontier. I can't wait to see what Tier C ships are like.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Its free on Game Pass so ill give it a shot.

Lots of mixed reviews. Personally I'm very excited about Baldur's Gate coming to Xbox, but I am a Bethesda fan so maybe ill check this out while I wait.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I’m playing on game pass, it’s meh. But I’ve never really liked any of the fallout games either. I’m probably 3-4 hours in and will probably play a few more before I decide if I will give up or keep going.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I'll probably pick it up the first time it goes on sale, not interested in paying $70 to be a gamma tester.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
SR205 that was my initial thoughts also. But with me being a fan of the Fallout games I figured i would give it a chance.
It is definitely a game that takes a bit to get into, but for me anyway again comparing to Fallout at least, the exploring and side quests and whatnot is what I enjoy and what makes it fun.

Orguss yup the ships are defiantly a interesting part. Still on A class but I found a free ship that was a bit more beefed up already and did a few upgrades. Still looking forward to being able to move to the next class tho Cool I'm working on the Vanguard line as well right now....sort of lol. Like most things I started it and ended up getting distracted on my way to one of the checkpoints....again Big Grin

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be honest, so far I’m more interested in the side quests than the main quest. Getting the first artifact really turned me off in getting any more because I don’t like that stupid temple mini-game. Plus, I can’t figure out how to use the first artifact power. Not sure what it actually does, and half of the time it doesn’t seem to work when the button is pressed.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PakRatJR:
... I found a free ship that was a bit more beefed up already and did a few upgrades.

Is that the Razorleaf? I'm still trying to get the quest started but I'm having difficulty finding spacers to kill.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I got the Razorleaf, but, when I got the Eagle I was floored. Complete the Freestar Rangers quest for that one.

Enjoying the game.
I have joined 6 factions, but delaying the pirate missions as I haven't decided to join or destroy them.

I am not using any exploits, or hacks, I find it isn't necessary.

Playing on the X console.

Orguss, to get the Razorleaf, watch your notes for a slate called Secret Outpost.

You can unlock this mission during The Old Neighborhood while fighting Crimson Fleet pirates. You can pick up the note on their corpses, starting the quest instantly.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So assuming I enjoyed all the Fallout single player games including FO4, and that I usually prefer the free world exploration and side stories I should enjoy Starfield, correct?

I also had a blast outpost building later in / after the main quest in FO4. So I am guessing ship building will be fun.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
CS-
Yes you should enjoy it.
Imagine a mashup of Fallout, Skyrim, and Mass Effect.

No micro-transactions, no added cost.

My only gripe would be I wish it were co-op.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
For those of you who are fans of Razorfist, he did a livestream playing Starfield last week. Here's a few minutes of the best bugs he ran into. Hilarious stuff, if profanity laced.

I particularly like the part where he grenades a woman back to life.

Personally, I'll wait until the price comes down and some of the bugs are worked out.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 646 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I have been playing Starfield since it launched. I am really enjoying it. It inspires some of the hey what's that over there ADD that I used to experience in Skyrim.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by PakRatJR:
... I found a free ship that was a bit more beefed up already and did a few upgrades.

Is that the Razorleaf? I'm still trying to get the quest started but I'm having difficulty finding spacers to kill.

Here’s a tip, when you join the Vanguard at the beginning when Sarah takes you to meet them, in the application process you have to make it through 3 tiers of ship combat in the simulator. All those kills count toward piloting certification level requirements. After taking Piloting 1, you need 5 ship kills to be able to unlock 2, 15 for level 3, and 30 for level 4. Great thing is once you finish that and join the Vanguard you can return to the simulator at any time by taking the elevator and the kills in there always count toward piloting.

Star Eagle as a free ship is a big upgrade from the Frontier you start with. Do the Free Rangers quest line (its 8 quests long) on Akila after helping with the hostage situation at the bank.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Been playing a bit too much, had one of those, "Oh crap, it's what time? I have to be up in 4 hours" last night.

It does take a bit to get into it, but once you have the basics down and realize you don't have to sit down in the pilot's seat and take off every time you want to go somewhere, it gets better.

One thing I've heard is that you should try and complete the Main Quest as it will actually aid you in the end game stuff. Still find myself doing about a 60/40 split on side & main quest action. My "sneak around, reach out and touch someone if diplomacy doesn't work" build is just starting to be real effective.

One thing I do hate is because of the completionist in me. Ran around for about 3 hours last night surveying a planet and scanning like 10 animal types, 8 plants and 3 planet traits.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'll probably play it at some point. But I have a hard time shelling out $70 for it at this point.

But only get a few hours a week to really game on the high side. So Game pass doesn't really make sense either.

If it drops into the $40-$50 range i might grab it.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Orguss yup the Razorleaf. I was actually able to get it fairly early on when I found the "Secret Outpost" note on one of my random "what's over here" moments.

As swampdog mentioned, definitely take full advantage of the Vanguard flight sim. You can use it as often as you want after the initial test and use it to get all the ship kills you need to advance the piloting skill and you don't have to worry about wrecking your own ship.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
I got the Razorleaf, but, when I got the Eagle I was floored. Complete the Freestar Rangers quest for that one.

I have to join the Rangers. I've also heard about the ship you get from completing that questline. It's a Class C ship but I'm only 5 ship kills away from that and I'm about to complete the Vanguard questline, which involves space combat as the final step.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Not on PS5, so no. Frown

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post