SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anyone playing Starfield yet?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone playing Starfield yet? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
I got the Razorleaf, but, when I got the Eagle I was floored. Complete the Freestar Rangers quest for that one.

Enjoying the game.
I have joined 6 factions, but delaying the pirate missions as I haven't decided to join or destroy them.

I am not using any exploits, or hacks, I find it isn't necessary.

Playing on the X console.

Orguss, to get the Razorleaf, watch your notes for a slate called Secret Outpost.

You can unlock this mission during The Old Neighborhood while fighting Crimson Fleet pirates. You can pick up the note on their corpses, starting the quest instantly.

I think the Secret Outpost note is a random drop, not specific to The Old Neighborhood quest. I never found the note when I played through The Old Neighborhood, and I looted all the bodies that I could. I found the note a bit later, when I was exploring a planet for a later questline, and went to an unknown location on the scanner and found an abandoned base filled with Spacers. Actually found two copies of the note while clearing that out.

Did get the Mantis, and it is better than the first ship, but found it frustrating to try to upgrade. Could never update the shields, which was a problem when fighting multiple ships. Just got the Star Eagle, and it’s definitely a step up from the Mantis (except no shielded cargo hold).

As a note, I don’t think Star Eagle is a Class C ship. You need full Piloting rank 4 to be able to pilot a Class C, and I got it at Rank 2. It also only has a Class A reactor. It does come with some higher level weapons that you can’t upgrade unless you’re at a higher level, but think it’s still a Class A ship as far as piloting requirement goes.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I got it free when I bought a new GPU for my DCS rig. I loved FO3 and NV, never played FO4, so the crafting and outpost stuff is new to me.

I like it so far, thought the main quest is getting kind "meh". I started as a Freestar Collective and I think so far that's the only faction I've joined. Got the Mantis/Razorleaf which I'm also "meh" about. Also have the Star Eagle. "Liberated" some Ecliptic and pirate ships but sold them. Helping SysDef right now. Once that's done I'll see about building up an outpost, exploring, and designing ships.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Question for et al

Some people I know are doing a full court press to push just the main quests to get to game plus, then rinse and repeat. Is anyone doing that?

I didn't want to do that, I am enjoying the game, but damn, I did a little more of the main quest and hosed myself into having to just do game+ now. I will start over there, and play through all the side quests, as when you do game+ you lose EVERYTHING.

Careful if you don't want to go game+ so soon, because if like me, you had one hard save that would lose 5 hours of gameplay and I am NOT going that far back.
Save early, save often. The auto saves are frequent and if you want to go back, well, you may not be able to.

Learn from my mistake.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just started playing, any advice or tips would be appreciated.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3536 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does Sam Cole ever shut up? Are any of the other companions quieter? Seems like every 5 minutes he wants to talk to me and tell me his life story. I don’t care, Sam!

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I think they all do, except maybe Vasco. All can be "romanced" like in Mass Effect, so they'll start spilling their guts about family drama. I've gotten 'flirt' reply options with all but Vasco, Stroud, Vladimir and the religious kid, and I think the last two won't really follow you as companions.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Does Sam Cole ever shut up? Are any of the other companions quieter? Seems like every 5 minutes he wants to talk to me and tell me his life story. I don’t care, Sam!

Next playthrough, I'm going with the Introvert trait and leaving all companions on the ship. I'm so tired of Sam's chatter.

quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I just started playing, any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Lots of helpful videos on YouTube and plenty of info on Reddit.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I like to take Andreja as my companion. She does not talk as much as Sam or Sarah, but this could just be my perception.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I just found Andreja so I'm looking forward to her joining my crew.

After getting my Class C certification and buying a pretty badass ship, I was disappointed when I found the Razorleaf and was awarded the Freestar Ranger Star Eagle, as neither of them compare to the Class C ship.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I'll probably pick it up the first time it goes on sale, not interested in paying $70 to be a gamma tester.

I'm onboard with this too. Besides BG3 though hard is proving to be an incredible game and has stripped me away from my beloved Div2

First In Last Out

Posts: 4790 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I just found Andreja so I'm looking forward to her joining my crew.

Definitely less annoying than Sam or Sara. But wait til you get to know her better and she starts opening up.

There is supposedly a woman, can't recall her name....Betsy?....demo expert. You meet her in a random encounter and if you bring her on your crew and give her one grenade....she's like Annie Oakley with GLs. Big Grin Can't wait to find her.

quote:
After getting my Class C certification and buying a pretty badass ship, I was disappointed when I found the Razorleaf and was awarded the Freestar Ranger Star Eagle, as neither of them compare to the Class C ship.

I got the Kepler R, which I proceeded to upgun with a quartet of turrets. Haven't had a chance to take on anyone yet. I like the Eagle though. I'm just looking forward to build something all my own.

posted Hide Post
I’ve been downloading it from Steam for 2 weeks now. I bought the 5 day early package with the extra perks and expansion content. Where I live I have 45-60kb/sec download speed with my dial-up. According to the download estimate, I still have another 7 days before I can play. I have a 2 year old desktop and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 graphics card. So it’s up to date system just an antiquated internet here in rural Caldwell county. I hope to be playing by next weekend Smile

Posts: 588 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Finishing up a personal quest for Sam, where he invites me to have a private chat overlooking the statue of Solomon Coe, and these two show up and just start staring at us. Uh, excuse us, please!

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
installed on xbox.

spent WAAAAAAY too much time shooting at a blue marker on a rock from “a safe distance “ and was getting ready to uninstall when i accidentally got closer and noticed the artifact. THEN, the game started…..

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’m playing it now. Still in the very early phases. It’s solid, but I’m playing right after finishing Baldurs Gate 3 which is probably the best game I ever played, so it’s hard to be fair in judging it.

2 big gripes. Stealth sucks. You can’t sneak up on anyone. Bethesda has always done stealthy. Characters well, so this is a surprise. MUCH bigger gripe is the lack of maps for the cities. Sure Bethesda, I can remember where every little nook and cranny in a gigantic city are and how to get there. I’m playing it with a player made map of New Atlantis pulled up on my second monitor…

Did you like Skyrim? If yes, you’ll probably like this one, especially after a round or two of patches.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
installed on xbox.

spent WAAAAAAY too much time shooting at a blue marker on a rock from “a safe distance “ and was getting ready to uninstall when i accidentally got closer and noticed the artifact. THEN, the game started…..
0-0

How long did it take you to figure out you had to turn your scanner off to collect water and noble gasses? I must have stood over a neon deposit cooking myself for a good ten minutes.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Have barely stepped into the ship and already overwhelmed by all the management involved.
Guess this is too complicated for me.

Can’t remember playing many RPG but i vaguely remember playing Wizardry and another one (Bard’s Tale?) in the late 80’s

Guess my short attention span has gottent to miserable status.

Trying to get into this game without turning into a game technician first.

Any tips appreciated.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Have barely stepped into the ship and already overwhelmed by all the management involved.
Guess this is too complicated for me.

Can’t remember playing many RPG but i vaguely remember playing Wizardry and another one (Bard’s Tale?) in the late 80’s

Guess my short attention span has gottent to miserable status.

Trying to get into this game without turning into a game technician first.

Any tips appreciated.

0-0

You don’t have to do everything in the game and can play just fine without getting too deep into a lot of the management. You don’t have to build any outposts or deal with resource management if you don’t want to. You don’t have to get deep into shipbuilding or build your own ships.

I haven’t built a single outpost or boarded a single enemy ship when destroying them in space combat is an option. All of my ships so far were free from following the quest lines (Mantis, and more recently Star Eagle), and I’ve done minimal upgrades. The only resource gathering I’ve done is finding what’s needed for weapons upgrades. Speaking of weapons, I’ve found plenty of rare and epic weapons from drops, or in safes and locked rooms, that I rarely need to buy better weapons from vendors.

Regarding the skills tree, focus on what you want based on your playstyle, and ignore the others.

The game can be a lot, and there are a lot of people who like doing all the things, but you really don’t need to for progression.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
^^ I've done a lot in the game but I've yet to build an outpost. That's just not something I really want to get into.

Single best tip I can think of is that once you join Constellation and have access to the Lodge, go into the basement where all the crafting tables are located and start dumping all your crafting resources into the storage container sitting on the table behind the Research Lab station. It's an unlimited capacity storage container, so you can constantly unload into it to keep your personal inventory light. And since it's centrally located to all the crafting tables, you don't have to exert yourself
carrying resources to use.

For free ships, I've gotten the Razorleaf, Star Eagle, and Kepler R. I haven't even bothered trying to fly any of them, though. My Class C Dullahan III is the only ship I need.

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I know this is weird. but I have played a lot of Fallout 4 and Fallout 76. I didnt realize how tired I was of the apocalypse. I am enjoying the story lines and even some of the 'side quests' are very rewarding. I am doing one right now on terramorphs, and having a hoot.
I have not built a ship, but did do the simulator to level my piloting skill up. So now I am cruising around in a class C ranger ship. The main quest made me mad at one point and I put the game down for a few days (IYKYK). But I am over it and having fun doing the various quests.

Hell I was finishing a quest up and the NPC and I were having a fairly deep conversation about can knowledge be good or evil? Or is it just man and the application of knowledge. Pretty heavy for a game. I am having fun so I guess that is the point.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post