SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Wednesday, new show on Netflix
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wednesday, new show on Netflix Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Looks like they nailed Wednesday with the actress choice, but Gomez??

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I just finished binging it yesterday.

If you look at the original Charles Addams cartoons, Luis Guzman looks the part. But John Astin's portrayal is what is stuck in most of our heads.

I thought Zeta-Jones was a horrible Morticia. And while Ortega was a great Wednesday, she looked more like she came from the old TV show than the cartoons.

Fester and Thing were pretty cool, though I wish Lurch had more of a role.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We really liked it. I liked the casting of Morticia better than Gomez but both are lesser parts in this show.

The story was a decent mystery too.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I give them points for casting Guzman. Went in a completely different direction. But, no one can come close to Carolyn Jones' Morticia. I've only seen one episode so far.

Posts: 7520 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I will say, the series is really very good

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
There was a girl doing Adult Wednesday skits on Youtube and although she is too old, she was pretty funny.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is Jericho the same set as the clock tower from Back To The Future? Coffee shop the diner? The quad where MJFox skateboarded around?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are enjoying the heck out of it. Yeah, Gomez and Morticia aren't quite as we remember them, and it'd be nice to hear from Lurch occasionally, but, still a thoroughly enjoyable series Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I never really saw the original series so didn’t know what to expect. I like Wednesday. She’s smart, competent, multi talented, fearless. A little anti social but I guess that’s normal? Don’t like the parents.

Was she the main character in the original series? Or why does this character get its own show?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
We binged this and honestly, I liked it a little more than I probably should have. Jenna Ortega did a great job as Wednesday and her deadpan delivery was hilarious at times. Quirky for the win. Not sure how the cast was able to hold character during her dance scene. That shit was just too damn funny.

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is so good because Tim Burton is behind it. It is amazingly well cast in the lead roles. Good script, good acting, it is good television which seems kind of shocking compared to most of the poorly done content out there.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Is Jericho the same set as the clock tower from Back To The Future? Coffee shop the diner? The quad where MJFox skateboarded around?

It was filmed in Romania where they built the town at a studio.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been watching it. Pretty good.
And there is only one Morticia:
Anjelica Huston.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have been watching it. Pretty good.
And there is only one Morticia:
Anjelica Huston.

She's great, but don't disrespect Carolyn Jones. Each of them were outstanding.

Not all of the originals warrant the same treatment. I'd say Cristina Ricci is the all time Wednesday, with Jenna Ortega #2, ahead of Lisa Loring, for example.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm enjoying it

I like Gomez, he's more like the cartoon Gomez than any of the others

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

It was filmed in Romania where they built the town at a studio.

I see. At least for me, sure does bring to mind Back to the Future though. I expect Biff to walk through the diner / coffee shop double doors any second. Smile

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Been watching too - very enjoyable and Ortega is spectacular in her performance.
Her serious demeanor is priceless. Smile

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ordinarily I wouldn’t like a character like Enid. However here I think the actress playing Enid is doing a great job balancing out the gloom and darkness. Hate the siren, both mom and daughter. I don’t like mom and dad either.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Would it be appropriate for a 7 year old?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Would it be appropriate for a 7 year old?
<thinking...> There's no language, nudity, sexual references--overt or otherwise, no drug use... It's really kind of Harry Potter-ish, but, perhaps, a bit more adult? So he/she may not get all the references?

Tim Burton is the executive producer and directed four of the eight episodes. So, if you know his work it should give you an idea of what to expect.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post