SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Wednesday, new show on Netflix
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wednesday, new show on Netflix Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We’ll sure give it a look, but honestly, I’ve never been a Tim Burton fan.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Tim Burton is the executive producer and directed four of the eight episodes. So, if you know his work it should give you an idea of what to expect.

Well, my girls do love The Nightmare Before Christmas and his Willy Wonka. Perhaps we'll watch a bit. Thanks.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have been watching it. Pretty good.
And there is only one Morticia:
Anjelica Huston.

She's great, but don't disrespect Carolyn Jones. Each of them were outstanding.

Not all of the originals warrant the same treatment. I'd say Cristina Ricci is the all time Wednesday, with Jenna Ortega #2, ahead of Lisa Loring, for example.

Love me some Carolyn Jones, Did you see Cristina Ricci? She is the dorm monitor or supervisor.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
I act as if I don’t care if people dislike me…but deep down…
I secretly enjoy it.

I laughed out loud. That was hilarious and her delivery was perfect.

Pretty fun

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
I act as if I don’t care if people dislike me…but deep down…
I secretly enjoy it.
I laughed out loud. That was hilarious and her delivery was perfect.
There are many great quotes in the series. I think my favorite, so far, is "I find social media to be a soul-sucking void of meaningless affirmation."

Her deadpan delivery of these gems are priceless Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Loved the 1st episode and as an Adams Family watcher in the day, looking forward to the rest. Well done.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Jenna Ortega is awesome. That dance routine. Oh that dance routine. She choreographed it herself. She makes the show.

I normally like Guzman, and thought he was a good choice, but he just comes across a little bland for Gomez. But then again, he's following a scene stealing (and chewing) performance by the all time greal Raul Julia. Tough act to follow.

Catherine Zeta Jones still looks fantastic, but she's what you get when you order Morticia Adams on wishdotcom.

Loved that they got Ricci to do a supporting role. Gwendolyn Christie was really good as well (and the recipient of Morticia's one truly cutting barb...)

I really liked the show overall after it grew on me for an episode or two. Glad to hear it's getting another season.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
In season 2 they need to give Lisa Loring a cameo

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Thing takes the show every episode - Thing deserves an Oscar.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:

Oscars are for movies.

Shows (including streaming shows) get Emmys.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:

Agreed, (for the Emmy!) and interestingly enough, Thing was not CGI. There are some cool videos on YouTube that show how that “green screened” his scenes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
We finished watching it last night and loved it. Ortega's deadpan delivery was uniformly wonderful throughout, with some great lines that were given so seriously but were hilarious as a result. Thing was great, too. The mystery was the only weak link in my mind, but it wasn't high drama and there were enough red herrings that it could have plausibly gone a different way until near the end. We're hoping for a season 2.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I finished it, and while it wasn't totally my cup of tea, it was fairly enjoyable. It's clearly aimed at the same Harry Potter/Percy Jackson/etc. "young adult fantasy fiction" crowd in their tweens/teens, considering it has the exact same underlying premise. (Young outsider who never fit in in the "real world" finds out there's actually a secret world coexisting with their own, and is sent to a special boarding school where they get to explore this strange new subculture and meet all these fantastic new peoples with their magic abilities and finally make friends along the way, while at the same time discovering that they're even more super-duper special themselves and therefore destined to save the world, because the adults are all inept and just don't understand.) This is the exact same thing, just with a slightly darker and more sarcastic heroine than usual.

Overall, I give it a 7/10.

Ortega did a great job as Wednesday. A couple of the supporting actors were pretty good too, including the overly bubbly roommate Enid, and Brienne of Tarth Principal Weems whose frequent microexpressions while constantly trying to keep up her smiling facade were spot-on. The stuntman portraying Thing did a good job bringing Thing to life. The others were just meh, including most of the rest of the main cast. And a few of them were actively bad, including Xavier, Uncle Fester, and the siren girl.

The dialogue, especially for Wednesday, was solid. The plot was just okay, and a bit cliche. The mystery/twist was simplistic and telegraphed early on. But they did a good job with the sets and scenery.

If they do a Season 2, I'll probably get around to watching it eventually.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Entertaining. Wednesday was played well by actress. Light, fluffy watch, but worth it.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Would it be appropriate for a 7 year old?

NO!!!!!! Would not even let my 9 year old watch it. The killing scenes are a bit too graphic for kids in my opinion.
But the things some parents let their kids watch these days completely blow my mind.

We finished it last night and we enjoyed it. Pretty good story line and not fully predictable. Only a little bit of wokeness dropped in there on occasion with some silly one liners from Wednesday usually.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post