SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    120 Pound Piston
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

120 Pound Piston Login/Join 
Picture of WERA49
posted
Many years ago a friend game me a piston from an old locomotive. It is 9" diameter, 13" long and has a 3.5" diameter wrist pin.

It was a 16 cylinder engine. The stroke was 4 ft. long and the connecting rods were 8 ft. long.

With this section of connecting rod, it weighs 121.5 pounds!

Rob
NRA Life Member

Posts: 545 | Location: OH | Registered: March 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
And I thought the spinning Doritos in my 13B were heavy. Eek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WERA49:
Many years ago a friend game me a piston from an old locomotive. It is 9" diameter, 13" long and has a 3.5" diameter wrist pin.

It was a 16 cylinder engine. The stroke was 4 ft. long and the connecting rods were 8 ft. long.

With this section of connecting rod, it weighs 121.5 pounds!

I used to service some equipment at the EMD engine plant in LaGrange Il. Everything was really big to say the least. Really neat to see the machining and assembly process.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I had to look this up. From what I found on a quick search, the doritos weigh in from around 9 to 12 lbs. or so.
I did not know this.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I had to look this up. From what I found on a quick search, the doritos weigh in from around 9 to 12 lbs. or so.
I did not know this.

I'm pretty confident mine's a 13B S4 (early 2nd generation RX7).
Rotors on those are usually around 12 lbs. I think that RX8 rotors were lighter & higher compression.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Here's a piston from a 2 stroke slow speed Sulzer I worked on.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It’s not the size of your piston……..Frown. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
It’s the Stroke!

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post