SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Mandalorian and Grogu
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Mandalorian and Grogu Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
I’m the only one in the theater at the moment and it starts in 15 minutes. My son and his buddy are looking at the movie posters for sale.
 
Posts: 14922 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'll be taking the kids this weekend. We all dug the series. It's been one of the only Star Wars things Disney has put out that hasn't been trash.


________________________________________

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
 
Posts: 18838 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There wound up being about 15 people including us. I liked the series, but have nothing good to say about the movie.

My two word summary: recycled garbage.
 
Posts: 14922 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Well SHIT.


________________________________________

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
 
Posts: 18838 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Disney killed Star Wars. Other than Andor it was sad to see what they did to my favorite childhood franchise.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
 
Posts: 21637 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
... it was sad to see what they did to my favorite childhood franchise.


For me, it's Star Trek. Same pattern, modern political correctness and identity politics eroded it away until there was nothing left.

As for Mango and Grok, I'll give it a pass.




I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker
 
Posts: 694 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Disney will never change as long as people still give them their money. Film, or their streaming service. Once the coffers dry up they’ll be forced to change.



What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
 
Posts: 14251 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Putting Disney Star Wars down would be a mercy killing.



Not minority enough!
 
Posts: 8805 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Disney killed Star Wars. Other than Andor it was sad to see what they did to my favorite childhood franchise.


was 14 when Star Wars came out
saw it 7 times in the theater,

caught the next 2 in the theater as well, then got the VHS,

would argue that the next set, pre Disney I am pretty sure, (as in episodes 1/2/3) ruined it

then 7/8/9 were as bad,

the disney stuff is crap,


jmho of course



https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/
 
Posts: 11557 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Disney killed Star Wars. Other than Andor it was sad to see what they did to my favorite childhood franchise.


was 14 when Star Wars came out
saw it 7 times in the theater,

caught the next 2 in the theater as well, then got the VHS,

would argue that the next set, pre Disney I am pretty sure, (as in episodes 1/2/3) ruined it

then 7/8/9 were as bad,

the disney stuff is crap,


jmho of course




The prequels were disappointing. The Disney era was a huge middle finger to fans over and over and over and I think it was intentional to a degree.

I don’t think George Lucas set in to destroy the franchise with episode 1-3. With Disney to a degree they intentionally destroyed beloved characters from the beginning of the franchise. In my eyes there is a stark difference. The Lucas stuff was clumsy and lazy the Disney stuff was just fucking awful.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
 
Posts: 21637 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Disney killed Star Wars. Other than Andor it was sad to see what they did to my favorite childhood franchise.


The new Maul animated series actually turned out pretty good.


--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844
 
Posts: 2633 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Sorry, OP. I hoped you knew this would degrade into a Disney hating thread.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC:

It was meh, like a 2.5 hour long episode, but less creative. It was pretty much the same recycled stuff. I wasn’t a huge fan of the Hutt’s voice. It was too human. The kids were entertained, so...


________________________________________

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
 
Posts: 18838 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Uncreative, unimaginative, unoriginal, uninspired…

Oh it’s Top Gun, Blade Runner, Close Encounters, Godzilla, the video game Need for Speed. Emo the Hutt, “I am not my Father” wah, wah, wah. The Star Wars deck of cards has an Ace of Spades?

Halfway though, I wanted to touch the screen or hit a button on the remote to see how much time was left. I almost walked out from shear boredom. It would have been the second time in my life I called it quits on a movie. The first time was some movie with Penelope Cruz and the theater worker was kind enough to give me a pass for another movie.

Oh well.
 
Posts: 14922 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
This is out on Disney+/Hulu now and I finally got a chance to watch it.

quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
It was meh, like a 2.5 hour long episode, but less creative.


I didn't think it was bad. It's basically just an extra long Mandalorian episode, and is about as good as the average Mandalorian episode, though not as good as the best episodes.

I wouldn't have paid full price to see it in theater, but if you liked the TV series and already have a subscription, it's worth watching.

The stars warred, and they mandalorianed and grogued. Not sure what else you're expecting.

On the plus side, some of the battle/fight scenes and creatures were a step up from the series, likely due to the higher budget. And it had a lot of easter eggs and references for fans of the universe, especially the Clone Wars and Rebels animated shows.

On the negative side, it feels at times like a Mandalorian episode that is stretched out a bit too long in places, and likely would have worked better as a tighter couple episodes in the next season of The Mandalorian. (Which is what it started out as before Disney shifted it to a feature film.) And I agree that Rotta the Hutt's voice acting was terrible. Jeremy Allen White is a good actor, as displayed in stuff like The Bear, but I don't think his voice acting career specifically is going very far. I can't tell if he genuinely just sucked, or if it was something more like he was purposely phoning it in because he didn't want to do it but was contractually obligated.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The Star Wars deck of cards has an Ace of Spades?


Ace of Staves. I confirmed with the subtitles.

Sabacc cards in Star Wars have four suits: Flasks, Coins, Sabers, and Staves. (Modeled off the tarot deck.)
 
Posts: 35511 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The movie is already on Disney+.
 
Posts: 1858 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Ace of Staves. I confirmed with the subtitles.

Sabacc cards in Star Wars have four suits: Flasks, Coins, Sabers, and Staves. (Modeled off the tarot deck.)

Well that makes more sense. I had no idea what the Star Wars suits were when I saw it in the theater so when I heard Spades it struck me as completely wrong.

My wife was gone for 4 days so I was able to watch movies at theater volume for a change. I gave this one another shot, but turned it off about 15 minutes in and watched Raiders of the Lost Ark for the 17th time. Of course that reminded me of another element the Mando/Grogu movie is missing: John Williams.
 
Posts: 14922 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Finally watched this piece of excrement last night. My wife and I BOTH said we were glad we didn't waste theater ticket money on this.

It was just a story that never needed to be told (like SW: Solo, SW: Obi Wan, SW: Book of Boba Fett, etc).

Bad writing, boring pacing, absolutely no real interest in it at all. I really liked the first two seasons of Mando, but they jumped the shark in Season 3. Just stopped being interesting.

So, yes, it's like a 2+ hr long episode, but a BORING episode. The whole Hutt thing was dumb - giant worm with ripped abbs and upper body. Just dumb. The fight scenes were all over the top and cheesy. Lost track of how many mooks Mando simply one-shotted without even thinking about it. Like, he's a level 50 expert playing a group of kindergarten kids. . .

I watched it out of idle curiosity, but I plan to never watch any of it again.

Disney really destroyed an amazing franchise. . .



Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
 
Posts: 22137 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It was on loop for our last cruise, so I've seen it. It's fine; the big water snake is cool. That's about it. No one has an arc; the characters are exactly the same as when we first met them, and everything feels completely lacking in consequence. So, a bad movie, but I didn't have high expectations.
 
Posts: 3286 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I am an easy audience. I like Star Wars. i also think Solo is underrated.

M&G was fine for a Star Wars fix. I don't need every movie to have galaxy shattering consequences.

The movie was fine. I thought watching the Hutts fight was cool, never saw that before.
 
Posts: 2776 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Mandalorian and Grogu

© SIGforum 2026