SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Mindhunter on NetFlix
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mindhunter on NetFlix Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That's what I'm talkin about. Attention to detail. This show is great for a lot of reasons!

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
I think the sex, his initial inexperience, and then his fixation with it, and his inappropriateness during it (serial killer talk) is used to show his transition from hayseed in the beginning to someone who is willing

(spoiler alert)

to talk about his preferences of public hair on preteens to trap a killer

It shows his loss of innocence and the establishment of his new reality, and then his loss of connection to and failure in that new reality

Another spoiler

It is no mistake of storytelling that by the final episode he is profiling his girlfriend to figure out they are breaking up and then flies to California where he realizes he has become more intimate (not physically) with a serial killer than he was with his girlfriend (who he just profiled like he does serial killers)

You're right on point about the significance of showing the agent's sex life and transformation from a "Company Man" unlikely to stray from the institutionally prudish outlook on things involving "aberrant" sexual behavior, to someone that's empathetic to the needs (sexual or otherwise) of others, such as his girlfriend or those he deals with professionally. That empathy becomes very important when its time to utilize behavioral analysis based tactics that offenders can relate and respond to, even if those tactics are offensive to more traditional cops.

In all probability, the "pubic hair preference trap" wasn't so much about the interrogator's preference(s), as it was about the cop's belief that the offender felt those things and he (correctly) played into what the murderer would recognize as being empathetic. The murderer believed the investigator understood where he (the offender) was coming from. Its much easier to admit committing an abhorrent crime, if the interrogator relates to you as a person and can provide an "out" that isn't too rough on you psychologically. Its not too often that one sees this displayed so well on the big or small screen. This is how real interrogators can and should do their jobs. The days of the "Third Degree" and just bullying someone into confessing should be long over, and these are some of the techniques which are both effective and recognized by the courts as appropriate.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I read today that it's been picked up for season 2.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that it was approved for Season Two last April, even though Season One didn’t premiere until October.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I dunno. I just saw the headline in a couple of places today.

It's good in either case. Looking forward to it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I’m currently in the process of listening got the unabridged audiobook. It’s good stuff.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Just heard about this series, which is weird, since I live in Pittsburgh.

A friend of mine is "kind of" in the series, his car is used in Season 2, episodes 7 and 8.

I haven't gotten that far yet...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moose201
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Just heard about this series, which is weird, since I live in Pittsburgh.

A friend of mine is "kind of" in the series, his car is used in Season 2, episodes 7 and 8.

I haven't gotten that far yet...

Don’t think Season 2 has been released yet but it should be coming this year.

Posts: 264 | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I’m currently in the process of listening got the unabridged audiobook. It’s good stuff.

I believe the Audio version is of the non-fiction book written by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker. Its a great read, but the Netflix series is a dramatized (and to a degree fictionalized) adaptation. The interviews of the killers are spot on (reality wise), but there's additions to the series to spice it up a bit for dramatic purposes. Don't let that put you off though! It's a great series and very realistic!!!

King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the first season, patiently awaiting the second season...

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm watching now and starting S2.

I understand the language and some topics weren't really appropriate for that era. But when the OPR was challenging the use of such, was it really the trend to prioritize behavior becoming an FBI agent over catching a pedophile rapist and killer? I not one for any means for the ends but 'inappropriate' language is far below the line for excessive means given the ends in this case. Is this real?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I understand the language and some topics weren't really appropriate for that era. But when the OPR was challenging the use of such, was it really the trend to prioritize behavior becoming an FBI agent over catching a pedophile rapist and killer? I not one for any means for the ends but 'inappropriate' language is far below the line for excessive means given the ends in this case. Is this real?

That's how agencies can be when they're run by pogues and squints instead of real criminal investigators. My personal experiences with FBI agents is that their department has a culture that weighs far more importance on image than substance. Management's lack of accountability is legendary, and it wouldn't surprise me one iota that they'd give an investigator all kinds of shit for using these kinds of techniques (not to mention language) to get admissions from an offender that was the subject of this kind of interview.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

That's how agencies can be when they're run by pogues and squints instead of real criminal investigators. My personal experiences with FBI agents is that their department has a culture that weighs far more importance on image than substance. Management's lack of accountability is legendary, and it wouldn't surprise me one iota that they'd give an investigator all kinds of shit for using these kinds of techniques (not to mention language) to get admissions from an offender that was the subject of this kind of interview.

Yep, my experiences with FBI agents matches with pulicords. In a bureaucracy like the FBI or any large Police Department, those who master the art of memos are usually in charge. With just a couple written words, they can destroy careers and end investigations. For most street cops, the most dangerous thing in their world is a house cat (not a cop but an"officer" who has never left the station) who can write well.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post