SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Mindhunter on NetFlix
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mindhunter on NetFlix Login/Join 
posted
Anyone watching?

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I binged watched this weekend. I thought it was excellent & it definitely kept me watching. Can't wait for the second season.

Also I've read the book on which it is based (Mindhunter by John Douglas & Mark Olshaker). The series does take some liberties with the book.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Only 4 episodes in and I do enjoy it.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Netflix original shows are pretty good, I have this one in the line up.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Mrbill and I share the same hobbies. I liked it a lot.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I guess we posted simultaneously on this subject! I deleted my original post and have copied it here:

I just finished bingewatching the ten part Netflix series "Mindhunters", a drama based upon the non-fiction book by FBI Criminal Profiler John Douglas and Mark Olshaker. The series is basically a look at how behavioral analysis came to be used as a tool in criminal investigations by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other law enforcement agencies. The first episode focuses on an FBI hostage negotiator and seemed a bit melodramatic, but stick with this series through episodes 2 and 3, and you will be hooked! Like peeling off the layers of an onion, what at first seems as a typical "procedural cop show", reveals itself as something very different.

The hostage negotiator is paired with another agent for the purpose of providing training to police departments across the country, when an opportunity arises to interview a convicted serial killer (the phrase hasn't been invented yet), that is housed in a California prison. That sociopath is Edmond Kemper, a real person who was later used as the model for the villain "Hannibal Lechter" in the book "Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris. Kemper's portrayal is far more realistic, intriguing, and frightening than what Anthony Hopkins brought to the screen.

The agents decide that exploring the personalities of murderers like Kemper, Richard Speck, and others can enable investigators to develop protocols which will ultimately lead to more successful investigative strategies and prosecutions. Along the way, the two cops enlist the assistance of a university professor in psychology, who joins in their quest, but is motivated more by her background in academia and a vague desire to prevent crimes like these from occurring. This "practical vs academic" theme will become more and more important as the series progresses, and will drive the viewers to questions about the justice system, ethics, and related issues not usually addressed by cop shows.

I'm not about to give any spoilers, but IMHO this series is something very special. Its great drama, but provides a historical perspective of evolving police practices that go beyond the advantages of technology. Using empathy not just as a tool for understanding the criminal mind, but as a tactical weapon for prosecutions creates some ethical questions worthy of discussion. Watch this show!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Mindhunter is why I signed up for Netflix. I also read the book, and the series does not disappoint.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are enjoying it thoroughly. Through episode 4 as of last night with plans to watch number 5 tonight.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I love it. The acting, individual storylines and the scenes of both Quantico and those small rust belt towns.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terra:
Wife and I love it. The acting, individual storylines and the scenes of both Quantico and those small rust belt towns.

It was filmed around Pittsburgh and Washington, PA.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm really enjoying it. I'm glad I read this thread the other day because I never would have given it a glanced just based on the title.

The odd this is I'd already seen a clip of this show, it was strange watching the scene again... "Wait, I've seen this!?" I had to stop it and check to see the date it came out. I must have cought a clip on a television show which is odd since I don't watch TV shows that would do that kind of thing.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife and I gave it a look last night. We both enjoyed it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the first episode last night. Looking forward to more.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Finished season 1 last night. I enjoyed it, including the historical perspective.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I got to episode 5 but noticed somewhere around episode 3 I was paying more attention to freecell then watching the show.

I'll visit it again some other time when I'm bored. Same thing happen to me with justified, and the third time trying to watch justified I thought it was great, not so much the first two times.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched episode 1 last night and will definitely finish it. I worked doing something along these lines (my job was to help profile people that were already caught, not to catch them) but a lot of what we did and were trained to do finds it’s genesis this show. One of the main guys that trained us was a former BAU guy. I will almost always give a show with this as it’s subject matter a shot

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google Edmund Kemper and look at his real life picture. The similarity of the actor is amazing.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this, I had no idea this series was on. I will say, Netflix has stepped up their game and is worth every penny they charge. They have excellent produced movies and series. I'll be watching this soon.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
We finished it today. Excellent show, and it's great to see quality shows available.

Can't wait for season 2.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Yep. One of their best.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post