This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/1020038134

October 16, 2017, 07:54 AM
Bulldog7972
Mindhunter on NetFlix
Anyone watching?
October 16, 2017, 10:34 AM
mrbill345
I binged watched this weekend. I thought it was excellent & it definitely kept me watching. Can't wait for the second season.

Also I've read the book on which it is based (Mindhunter by John Douglas & Mark Olshaker). The series does take some liberties with the book.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”
October 16, 2017, 01:33 PM
k5blazer
Only 4 episodes in and I do enjoy it.
October 16, 2017, 01:59 PM
David W
Netflix original shows are pretty good, I have this one in the line up.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles
October 16, 2017, 02:28 PM
AllenInAR
Mrbill and I share the same hobbies. I liked it a lot.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV
October 16, 2017, 03:09 PM
pulicords
I guess we posted simultaneously on this subject! I deleted my original post and have copied it here:

I just finished bingewatching the ten part Netflix series "Mindhunters", a drama based upon the non-fiction book by FBI Criminal Profiler John Douglas and Mark Olshaker. The series is basically a look at how behavioral analysis came to be used as a tool in criminal investigations by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other law enforcement agencies. The first episode focuses on an FBI hostage negotiator and seemed a bit melodramatic, but stick with this series through episodes 2 and 3, and you will be hooked! Like peeling off the layers of an onion, what at first seems as a typical "procedural cop show", reveals itself as something very different.

The hostage negotiator is paired with another agent for the purpose of providing training to police departments across the country, when an opportunity arises to interview a convicted serial killer (the phrase hasn't been invented yet), that is housed in a California prison. That sociopath is Edmond Kemper, a real person who was later used as the model for the villain "Hannibal Lechter" in the book "Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris. Kemper's portrayal is far more realistic, intriguing, and frightening than what Anthony Hopkins brought to the screen.

The agents decide that exploring the personalities of murderers like Kemper, Richard Speck, and others can enable investigators to develop protocols which will ultimately lead to more successful investigative strategies and prosecutions. Along the way, the two cops enlist the assistance of a university professor in psychology, who joins in their quest, but is motivated more by her background in academia and a vague desire to prevent crimes like these from occurring. This "practical vs academic" theme will become more and more important as the series progresses, and will drive the viewers to questions about the justice system, ethics, and related issues not usually addressed by cop shows.

I'm not about to give any spoilers, but IMHO this series is something very special. Its great drama, but provides a historical perspective of evolving police practices that go beyond the advantages of technology. Using empathy not just as a tool for understanding the criminal mind, but as a tactical weapon for prosecutions creates some ethical questions worthy of discussion. Watch this show!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
October 16, 2017, 03:51 PM
badcopnodonut!!
Mindhunter is why I signed up for Netflix. I also read the book, and the series does not disappoint.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.
October 16, 2017, 05:26 PM
Batty67
My wife and I are enjoying it thoroughly. Through episode 4 as of last night with plans to watch number 5 tonight.
October 16, 2017, 06:02 PM
terra
Wife and I love it. The acting, individual storylines and the scenes of both Quantico and those small rust belt towns.
October 16, 2017, 08:31 PM
mrbill345
quote:
Originally posted by terra:
Wife and I love it. The acting, individual storylines and the scenes of both Quantico and those small rust belt towns.

It was filmed around Pittsburgh and Washington, PA.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”
October 19, 2017, 06:33 AM
cas
I'm really enjoying it. I'm glad I read this thread the other day because I never would have given it a glanced just based on the title.

The odd this is I'd already seen a clip of this show, it was strange watching the scene again... "Wait, I've seen this!?" I had to stop it and check to see the date it came out. I must have cought a clip on a television show which is odd since I don't watch TV shows that would do that kind of thing.

October 19, 2017, 09:05 AM
ensigmatic
My wife and I gave it a look last night. We both enjoyed it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
October 19, 2017, 10:52 AM
Rebel-22
Watched the first episode last night. Looking forward to more.
October 19, 2017, 11:32 AM
46and2
Finished season 1 last night. I enjoyed it, including the historical perspective.
October 19, 2017, 03:53 PM
Nickelsig229
I got to episode 5 but noticed somewhere around episode 3 I was paying more attention to freecell then watching the show.

I'll visit it again some other time when I'm bored. Same thing happen to me with justified, and the third time trying to watch justified I thought it was great, not so much the first two times.

First In Last Out
October 19, 2017, 06:23 PM
Kevbo
My wife and I watched episode 1 last night and will definitely finish it. I worked doing something along these lines (my job was to help profile people that were already caught, not to catch them) but a lot of what we did and were trained to do finds it’s genesis this show. One of the main guys that trained us was a former BAU guy. I will almost always give a show with this as it’s subject matter a shot

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?
October 19, 2017, 09:49 PM
bustabuddy
Google Edmund Kemper and look at his real life picture. The similarity of the actor is amazing.
October 20, 2017, 08:04 AM
njauto
Thanks for posting this, I had no idea this series was on. I will say, Netflix has stepped up their game and is worth every penny they charge. They have excellent produced movies and series. I'll be watching this soon.
October 20, 2017, 08:14 PM
AUTiger89
We finished it today. Excellent show, and it's great to see quality shows available.

Can't wait for season 2.

Phone's ringing, Dude.
October 21, 2017, 05:05 PM
smithnsig
Yep. One of their best.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...