SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Springfield Hellion - new bullpup .223 rifle from Croatia
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Hellion - new bullpup .223 rifle from Croatia Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
Springfield has started importing the Croatian service rifle. A bullpup .223 that takes AR15 magazines. They call it the VHS, UHF, or VHF, or VCR, or betta max or something over there. Springfield apparently will call it the Hellion Roll Eyes

MSRP is $1999

https://www.springfield-armory...ries/hellion-rifles/

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Keltec and a FAMAS had a baby.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, the VHS- it has three modes of fire: SP, LP and SLP. Don't forget to rewind.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Those are a nice presentations of a very interesting rifle; thanks for posting them.

The range report after the two gun match will be a must see. I wonder how the trigger feels.

The Kel Tec RDB has a pretty nice-for-a-bullpup trigger, and can also be shot from either shoulder without modification.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
That is one ugly rifle, and I’m a SIG SG510 enjoyer.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its cool, I guess. But it aint 2K worth of cool.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

How much are AUGs and Tavors going for these days? In any case, once the initial rush dies out, the street price will drop some.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Going rate for bullpups that aren't a Keltec is $1500-$2500. If you're into bullpups, you're paying those prices. If not, then you have a lot more affordable options.

I dunno. I'll have to look into it. Unfortunately, I've become a bullpup fan. The uglier, the better, seems like. Roll Eyes

*Edit - Actually, looks like the going rate for an FS2000 is closer to three grand. It's the only other military bullpup one can get that's fully ambidextrous and won't throw brass in your face if you switch from right shoulder to left without swapping parts parts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

*Edit - Actually, looks like the going rate for an FS2000 is closer to three grand. It's the only other military bullpup one can get that's fully ambidextrous and won't throw brass in your face if you switch from right shoulder to left without swapping parts parts.

The FS2000 has been OOP for a number of years, so that’s likely why it’s so expensive. I wouldn’t call the FS2000 fully ambidextrous since the changing handle is only on one side. The Keltec RDB is fully ambidextrous and you can swap the charging handle between sides. The FN PS90 is fully ambidextrous, and comes with charging handles on both sides.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
i noticed a whole slew of youtube vidoes popped up about the same time.

I was strongly considering getting a Tavor X95 since it's been proven but balked since the IDF is switching away from it.

I saw this and liked the features. I may wait a couple of years for any kinks to get worked out in the US market and any improvements.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I may wait a couple of years for any kinks to get worked out

This isn't a new rifle. Just newly imported to the US civilian market.

Plus, this is the 2nd version of the VHS rifle, designed to address some ergonomic deficiencies with the 1st version.

The VHS-1 version was designed in the 1990s and introduced in 2003, and this updated VHS-2 version has been in production and military use since 2013.

So a couple years on the US civilian market is unlikely to uncover any kinks that haven't already been found and addressed in the prior couple decades of its use.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ True, but the rifles are to be sent to the US and have US-compliant parts added (922r, I'm guessing). If there's one thing Century Arms has taught us, it's to wait and see what happens when the rifles actually get to consumers and see some use.

And no, I don't think the price tag is going to act as some sort of guarantee that there won't be a problem. I've been bitching for years that every time a relatively new-to-us EBR gets imported, some mindless jackass arbitrarily assumes $2,000 is a "normal, perfectly reasonable" going price for it.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Plus, this is the 2nd version of the VHS rifle, designed to address some ergonomic deficiencies with the 1st version.
Yes, the VHS-2, also known as "Super VHS"

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^ True, but the rifles are to be sent to the US and have US-compliant parts added (922r, I'm guessing).

922r compliance parts are generally non-operational external stuff like grips, stocks, handguards, and muzzle devices, because those are the quickest and easiest to retrofit. Magazines parts are also counted towards 922r compliance, so with these rifles being supplied with PMAGs, that right there counts as 3 compliance parts (body, floorplate, and follower). In the case of the Hellion, for sure the BCM grip, MLOK handguard, and flash hider are US-made, though it's still unclear which other parts (if any) may be different for the US market for 922r compliance.

(Total US-made parts required differs from rifle to rifle, based on the specific design of the gun. So between the grip, handguard, muzzle device, and the 3 PMAG parts, they may not have needed any additional 922r compliance parts.)

I'd be very surprised if 922r compliance resulted in any internal changes that were so drastically different that it would cause issues.

My point is that, as Ian points out in the video posted by Para, you don't really need to worry about being a "beta tester" for this rifle, since it's already been well-proven for years.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, the VHS-2, also known as "Super VHS"

Big Grin

Consider the acronym VHS stands for "Višenamjenska Hrvatska Strojnica", Croatian for Multifunctional Croatian Machine Gun...

Super Multifunctional Croatian Machine Gun actually kinda works.

"Hey Mr. Gun Store Owner... Do ya'll have any of them new Springfield Smeckmegs? Yeah, the SMCMG."

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
If there's one thing Century Arms has taught us..

..it's don't buy things built by Century Arms.

I won't say it's Apples and Oranges, but comparing Springfield Armory and Century Arms is like comparing the two most dissimilar apples in the world. Big Grin

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
..it's don't buy things built by Century Arms.

While that's very true for nearly all of their guns, there are a few "Century" guns that are good quality, like the Vz. 2008s.

(I say "Century" because while Century's name is on them, Century subcontracted out those Vz. 2008 builds, and that other shop actually did them right.)

Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Where's the "Grip Zone"?

Posts: 353 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jerod
posted Hide Post
Well known "Century ARMS" is don't buy anything they build but if they just import it you are good to go! Street price on the VHS will be $1600 to $1700 after the hype dies down.

Sig 551
W. German P228
W. German P226
Spec. Conf.P220
Navy MK 25
Non rail P229

Posts: 168 | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
Looks like a Keltec and a FAMAS had a baby.

this^^^

and I am feeling old now ,, since I get all the VHS (SP/LP / SLP ) and rewind jokes,,,,, Cool

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it. Kind of a G36 + Tavor. The fully ambi controls and sling points with easy changes to ejection direction is brilliant. I will probably get one if the trigger doesn't suck too bad.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post