SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SCAR 16. Should I try to buy one? * Bren 2 pg6*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCAR 16. Should I try to buy one? * Bren 2 pg6* Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:

If you expect it to be the best thing ever as someone who plans to shoot it and not much else you will be disappointed. It does not put a bullet on target 3x better than a good AR.

Rustpot is dead on everything, it will need a few upgrades to make it perfect IMO. One thing the Scar does have that ARs don’t: Cool factor. When I get the Scar out everyone want to see it not so much with ARs.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The SCAR16 does nothing for me, but if it interests you go for it. If I remember right, they also don’t play well with some Magpul models. Personally I’d buy lots of interesting guns before the SCAR, or even night vision equipment. The Century imported MP5 clones do have a $200 rebate at the moment…

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing the Scar does have that ARs don’t: Cool factor. When I get the Scar out everyone want to see it not so much with ARs.

Almost all my firearms practice is done solo at a ranch. The cattle sometimes are interested in what I'm doing, but their reactions are a pretty constant "moo" for every gun I own.

When I train with professional instructors, they don't show much interest in students' guns as long as they function properly. The instructors I use focus on course safety, hitting targets, and skills improvement.

When I shoot in matches, the competitors focus on leader board scores. When one is shooting well, the questions are generally "How did you handle the challenges in stage #5?", not "What are you shooting?" The cool factor is shooting well.

There are many personal reasons why people buy guns, cars, houses, clothes, watches, etc. Sometimes those reasons are for function. Sometimes the reasons are akin to showing off a new purse on TikTok.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jerod
posted Hide Post
Own a 16,17 and 20s. Least favorite is the 16. It is still a great rifle. Very durable. Buy one if you can find one. You only live once !

Sig 551
W. German P228
W. German P226
Spec. Conf.P220
Navy MK 25
Non rail P229

Posts: 168 | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My friends aren’t as sophisticated as Fritz’s friends are. Most of them have a shotgun and hunting rifle so when they see something different they get excited. I dread the day I don’t get excited to see certain guns and get to fondle them, but I guess some people are way past that.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I’d say fritz’s experience is probably a little unique compared to most of us. I value his input, though.

Honestly, I wasn’t angling for it, but a lot of what I bring to the range ends up getting attention from other shooters. I buy what interests me.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like this post is for me!

I own the SCAR 16 and 17, the Galil ACE, the Bren 805 AND the Bren 2.

Short answer:

Get the SCAR in .308
Get the Galil in 7.62x39
Get the Bren 2 in 5.56

I run multi-gun matches and training classes with these, they aren't all safe queens. Of them the Bren 2 is my end of the world weapon. The way it shoots, the weight, the ergos...it's just the one. My particular example is a fully Gucci'd out 11" version.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Interesting. You have my attention. You listed what you like about the Bren 2, but I'm curious if you'd be willing to go into more detail about those things. Got pics?

I have to be honest, I don't really know much about it. I know it's relatively new to market (last few years or so anyway), I know CZ makes good stuff, I know it's an improvement on the last design, and that's about it.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JonDaddy, how's the Bren with a can?

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KSGM as a regular that I dialog with I'll help if this is an important issue since this ? is sitting here. I've a couple of Bren 2's and they are certainly not the cats meow of JonDaddy82 IMO. I'd never pick one over a Scar for a suppressor as you simply do not have the gas jet adjustment to help tune things. But in any case if its important I'll slap a surefire muzzle device on one and shoot it. Mini or SB2 would be the options.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The gas plugs on the 16” Bren 2 carbine are different than on the shorter barrel pistols. The second position on the carbine is a suppressed setting, while it’s an adverse setting on the pistols, so you’ll need a different gas plug if you want to suppress a pistol. HBI makes some gas plug mods for the Bren 2.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And CZ simply will not sell you a gas regulator at the moment.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I sent my 12.5" Bren 2 gas plug to HBi for a $60 round trip to have it drilled for suppressed use.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
One thing the Scar does have that ARs don’t: Cool factor. When I get the Scar out everyone want to see it not so much with ARs.

Almost all my firearms practice is done solo at a ranch. The cattle sometimes are interested in what I'm doing, but their reactions are a pretty constant "moo" for every gun I own.

When I train with professional instructors, they don't show much interest in students' guns as long as they function properly. The instructors I use focus on course safety, hitting targets, and skills improvement.

When I shoot in matches, the competitors focus on leader board scores. When one is shooting well, the questions are generally "How did you handle the challenges in stage #5?", not "What are you shooting?" The cool factor is shooting well.

There are many personal reasons why people buy guns, cars, houses, clothes, watches, etc. Sometimes those reasons are for function. Sometimes the reasons are akin to showing off a new purse on TikTok.

Well said.

We often focus on the wrong thing.

New guns are fun and all but I have gravitated towards ammunition and skill building drills as things that pique my interest.

There are certainly some gradients of the types of firearms that allow one to maximize performance.

That sweet spot is rarely with the most expensive option. Nor with the most unique option.

That being said, if you want a gun that is unique or even just a bit unusual/uncommon, go for it.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Starting to feel lectured, here. Look, wanting to help is one thing, but I didn’t ask about training or maximizing performance anywhere and I’d appreciate it if we could just keep it on comparing various modern 5.56 rifles, thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Starting to feel lectured, here. Look, wanting to help is one thing, but I didn’t ask about training or maximizing performance anywhere and I’d appreciate it if we could just keep it on comparing various modern 5.56 rifles, thanks.

Wait a minute. You're the one who said, "Or maybe I'm totally off my nut and maybe I should just "buy a BCM and spend the rest on ammo and training!""

I think you're getting what you asked for.

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rambo:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Wait a minute. You're the one who said, "Or maybe I'm totally off my nut and maybe I should just "buy a BCM and spend the rest on ammo and training!""

I think you're getting what you asked for.

rambo

I’m pretty sure that was a tongue and cheek reference to the same goofy line the peanut gallery makes when you ask about any gun that isn’t an ar. It gets old.

Also, you can enjoy guns and modern ones even without it always having to be some training metric or the like. Particularly ones that are at least equal to the standard fare.

Posts: 267 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ran cross this video. A couple interesting rifles in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSaK1akYWQE

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Having owned two Scar 16S’s and a 17S I can share that once I bought the Scar 17S, the 16S’s became irrelevant to me and I sold/traded them. If I were looking to buy another 5.56 right now, I’d get another AUG NATO and a CZ Bren 2. Already have a AUG NATO and it’s so much better than I expected.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mercedes560:
I’m pretty sure that was a tongue and cheek reference to the same goofy line the peanut gallery makes when you ask about any gun that isn’t an ar. It gets old.

Also, you can enjoy guns and modern ones even without it always having to be some training metric or the like. Particularly ones that are at least equal to the standard fare.

This man gets it. Thank you.