SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Home Defense Shotguns...what are you using?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Defense Shotguns...what are you using? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Primary HD shotgun is 1301. Can be seen in this video.

shotgun ammo carriers

Ignem Feram

Posts: 538 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

I was not able to try the 00 buck federal flight control as I could t get any. We used to use it at the PD, but I don’t have access to it anymore-otherwise I’d use it. It’s the best product on the market for keeping a tight group.

Mike, e-mail on the way.

Posts: 2486 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:

I was not able to try the 00 buck federal flight control as I could t get any. We used to use it at the PD, but I don’t have access to it anymore-otherwise I’d use it. It’s the best product on the market for keeping a tight group.

Mike, e-mail on the way.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I love this place.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11363 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
For semi-suburban environment any thoughts on 00 vs. No. 4 buckshot. Stop the intruder with a minimum risk to nearby houses?

I live in a townhouse, so that was my primary reason for choosing #4 over 00. I said this on the first page but if I run thru the 6 rounds of #4 that I keep in the tube, I have 6 more rounds of 00 on the side saddle to follow up with.

To be perfectly honest tho, if 6 rounds of #4 won’t solve the problem in my home, I really don’t know what else would. At the distances I have to work with, I can’t imagine #4 not being devastating.

Posts: 335 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to use reduced recoil #4 with flite control, but gave all of that to my 80ish year old dad. Now use either Winchester ranger 00 or Hornady TAP 00, both with flite control wads.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Mav 88 with 500 slide action

Posts: 3556 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have an old school wood furniture Remington 870EPM.

It's loaded out with #4, 00 and slug, then buck and ball.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34216 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:

which amounts to using 8 pellets of 00 buck instead of 9 something about that 9th pellet throws the group off. I reload mine.

Mike, e-mail on the way.

Posts: 5624 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Maverick 88 in the RV and a Winchester Defender at home.

Posts: 5710 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Benelli M2,extended Mag and and several mods loaded with buckshot..

Posts: 2318 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keltec KS7 Bullpup 12 gauge, loaded with a bunch of #4 buck in "Federal Shortys", gives me about a 6"pattern at 7 yards.... I tried Aguila Mini shells but they were not 100% reliable for me. ymmv

Posts: 1284 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to add, this is how good Federal flight control is..
15 yds, 18” riot barrel (15 yds bc that’s the longest shot I can take inside my home)

Yes that’s 2 and 7/8”

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11363 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike - I agree with you 1000% related to Flight Control. I was able to pick some up for $1.00 a round and once they arrived I patterned both our Benelli M2 and my Benelli Nova (shop gun) and both patterned very well so it became our home defense round.

Our primary home defense gun is now a Benelli M2 because older adults CAN short stroke a pump shotgun. Now my wife and I both are trained on using the M2 and we practice with this shotgun about every 45-60 days - dry firing and at the range.

Posts: 3256 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Berretta Ultima Patrol. Mossberg 590a1 and a Mossberg Shockwave with a pistol gripped brace

Posts: 7819 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Ithaca Model 37 parked with a bead sight.

Posts: 826 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread reminds me I need to get a good shotgun for home defense. You guys have some nice examples.

Posts: 6948 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Some more love for the Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol

Posts: 1062 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that we have a Stoger 12ga side by side behind the headboard for Mrs. Mike’s use if we have unannounced visitors in the middle of the night.( it’s a cut down to 18” uplander-internal hammers) I recently changed the ammo to the federal reduced recoil LE flight controlled 00buck that Dennis was very kind to send me.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I have an old 870P that is probably 25 years old. I did the serial number lookup and a few years ago and I think that age is really close to what I recall. It still had the name tag on it when it was turned in by some Florida PD.

It's awfully smooth. I had it refinished and add some accessories to make it better for me. I also built a 20 gauge 870 that was turned into a P model and it's a mini clone of the 870P. It's fun to shoot and I've taken a few classes with it. 12" Hogue stock on both.

FC ammo is simply the best stuff around for distance. Too bad it isn't available in 20 gauge.

Posts: 4123 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

8" Mossberg • AOW • 12 ga. "Snake Bait"

Posts: 4073 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post