SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Home Defense Shotguns...what are you using?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Defense Shotguns...what are you using? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have 3x shotguns in defensive setups currently, all in 12 gauge.

2x are Remington 870s. One with 20" rifle sighted barrel, mag extension, factory stock, and Inforce WML. The other with 18" bead sighted barrel, mag extension, Magpul stock, and Surefire forend with Malkoff replacement flashlight.

The third is a Beretta 1201FP (basically a Benelli M1) with Mesa Tactical stock and Inforce WML.

The 18" 870 would be my primary choice for defensive use.

Posts: 32645 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Using it is kind of a gray area as I have yet to actually shoot it, but I own a Benelli Nova Tactical for this purpose.

Posts: 28128 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Rem 870 Marine Magnum.

Posts: 23019 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
870 with a shorty Magpul stock, Surefire forend, Choate +2 mag extension, 18" barrel with a XS big dot front sight, and a Blue Force CAS sling. The only thing still in the works is a velcro-type sidesaddle.

Posts: 7304 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
While I don't keep it loaded for HD, 590A1 20". 8+1 rounds of FUCK YOU.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17392 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it's not the main go to gun at the house, I would use my Benelli Nova with extended mag tube.

Posts: 283 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Mossberg 590 7 Shot in 20 gauge loaded with Federal #3 Buckshot, both I and my wife can shoot it. 18.5" barrel, it works well. I replaced the safety switch with an enhanced metal one. Also have a 20 gauge Shockwave hidden in a cubbyhole in another part of the house for backup.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16818 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ithaca DSPS 87. It's 20" barrel isn't as handy as the 18.5" Winchester 1200, but I like the "slam-fire" ability.

Ammunition preference is 8-shot OO buck.

Additionally, I have the same bandolier as smschulz as well as a couple of these from Olangapo Outfitters:

https://olongapooutfitters.com...shotgun-grab-and-go/

He doesn't often have them in stock so if it interests you I'd recommend getting one. The two I have are olive green but it looks like he only has the mulit-cam available at the moment.

Posts: 4999 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mossberg Maverick 18” 12ga with ammo cards Velcroed to the receiver, more on a vest. Just put a romeo5 red dot on it.And I’m using a short length(juvenile) Hogue stock.

#4Buckshsot & 2 slugs on the card

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11363 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by josp:
While it's not the main go to gun at the house, I would use my Benelli Nova with extended mag tube.
Where do you find this? The one thing that gave me pause when choosing mine was the 4-round magazine.

Posts: 28128 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
I have a few 1301's throughout the house. May add an A300 to the basement since operation is identical

Posts: 798 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
14" Mossberg 590 Marinecote loaded with 8 mini shells sits near bed.

The AOW now wears a green laser

If I am on the other side of the house my coach gun is easily reachable

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5198 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I am a shotgun nerd.

870P, 14" bbl, Hogue short stock, Scattergun sights & +1 extension. It's a clone of what I carried pre-retirement.

The chest rig goes where the 870 goes.

Posts: 2486 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
Mossberg 590A1 Compact... I'll get around to SBS'ing it one o'these days..

Posts: 2685 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
My youth shotgun was and still is a Winchester 1200 pump which has the safety forward of the trigger.

So in the 90's I bought 3 - Winchester 1300 Defenders which are 8+1 from the factory. Two were pistol grips and one was full length composite stock. The pistol grips while compact were very odd feeling and just really different feeling so I replaced the pistol grips with composite factory stocks which have the lower sling loop so I bought factory mag tube caps with the sling swivels and all are the same and the same exact function memory of my 1200. Have never had an issue with using a pump Winchester and all these years later basic memory use and function are just as fresh as when I was young.

I own Browning and Remington semi-auto's but the Winchesters are whats gets used when bird hunting or self defense.

Posts: 18080 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
For semi-suburban environment any thoughts on 00 vs. No. 4 buckshot. Stop the intruder with a minimum risk to nearby houses?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1578 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by josp:
Where do you find this? The one thing that gave me pause when choosing mine was the 4-round magazine.

Nordic Components makes them. Very reliable and quality, but not cheap

Posts: 283 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
M4, modded with ti extension tube, surefire rail, mesa stock. Ghost load so 9 in it. Side saddle on the receiver for +6, and another one on the stock for a total of 21 shells of pain. I keep going back and forth on selling it. I’m using the Scorpion around the house more and more as it’s just smaller and I’m good with 9mm inside the house.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12735 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
For semi-suburban environment any thoughts on 00 vs. No. 4 buckshot. Stop the intruder with a minimum risk to nearby houses?

I use #4buck v 00 bc it shoots better out of my barrel at 15yds and in (house distances). I patterned both.

I was not able to try the 00 buck federal flight control as I could t get any. We used to use it at the PD, but I don’t have access to it anymore-otherwise I’d use it. It’s the best product on the market for keeping a tight group.

I’m using a18” riot barrel

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11363 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MikeinNY,

Stick with #4 buck...your better off. It's still 25 caliber vice 33 caliber. You're in good shape. Especially indoors.

I run my entry gun with #4 buck or slugs, as required.

Wes

Posts: 2443 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post