SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Reviews of Tikka T3x TAC A1 rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Win. (New shooting results page 8, 22Nov23.)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reviews of Tikka T3x TAC A1 rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Win. (New shooting results page 8, 22Nov23.) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what kind of shooting noobinacan is discussing or considering. These are bolt action long range precision rifles. Can't even imagine some scenario that this issue matters, but of course willing to learn. I've expended thousands of rounds through both platforms but never noticed any difference that I thought was thermal on the barrel.
I'm a TRG addict and have a pretty good 'inventory' in lots of calibers. But having a couple of TAC's at this point (all in 6.5CM if that matters) I can't imagine why anyone would want a TRG. Like none. I'm surprised its still available given all the various better options (that's not a sign I don't love mine, but time really has passed it by). Want a new precision rifle, there are so many better choices with better chassis, caliber changes, etc...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I can't imagine why anyone would want a TRG.

I couldn’t bring myself to be blunt enough to say the same thing, but I must agree unless it’s for reasons that don’t have anything to do with performance.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I cannot give any good advice about which would be more accurate (precise) with heavy use because I (have) never exposed either to that sort of thing. I’ve fired up to 30 rounds or so at one session, but it was always slow fire.

Although my TRGs were excellent performers in my experience, I’m just happier with the features of the T3x TAC. The TRG is a pretty old design and Tikka did a good job (IMO) with the T3x TAC A1.

I wanted a 20 inch barrel for the 308 and that’s part of the reason I let the 26" TRG go even though I had an older T3 Tactical in 20". But in addition the Tikkas have folding stocks, adjustable grips, more easily adjustable stocks, and better, more modern ways of attaching accessories. All those reasons were why I switched from the 6.5 Creedmoor TRG to the Tikka in 6.5, and based on the precision of the rifles even without the other factors, I have no regrets for that change.

thanks for sharing!

Posts: 3 | Location: Charlotte NC | Registered: January 12, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had experience with the new 5 round polymer Tikka mags? Does this work for 6.5 C??

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/...tended-5rd-magazine/

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Tikka magazines are confusing, and the answer to your question depends on which model Tikka.

The one you linked to is, as the listing states, usable with 6.5 Creedmoor, but only with the older T3 rifles and with some of the T3x rifles. That style of polymer magazine does not, however, work with the T3x TAC A1, CTR (“Compact Tactical Rifle”), Arctic, or UPR models. Those four models use a staggered column 10-round steel magazine. And FWIW, Sako TRG mags will also work in those models, but not vice versa. Except for the models that use the 10-round steel mag, I believe magazines for the T3 and T3x are the same.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
New groups at the bottom of the first post.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for keeping this thread going.

Note to those that missed the mag offer and purchased March 2020 or later, it's on again. https://www.tikka.fi/en-us/freemag
I'll be putting in for one, but need to wait until I get my actual receipt.

I just ordered the T3x TACT A1 in lefty (JRTAC482L), supposedly it's on the way to my local shop and yeah I'm pretty stoked to try it out. This is my first with this type of setup, all my others are hunting or varmint wood and composite.

Our youngest has been shooting these in his Savage 110 tactical and getting 1/2 moa. They are considerably less than the Hornady GLD's so I'm wondering if anyone has tried these (Norma below) with the T3x TACT A1 ???

6.5 Creedmoor - 143 Gr - BTHP - Norma Golden Target

I'm thinking I'll start with these as I'll get both my and his brass for reloading and well it's Norma brass so unless they have changed it should be excellent brass. Then reload for the Hornady ELD/A-Tip in 140-153 and see what it likes.

Speaking of reloading, assuming anyone here reloads, what powder do you like for these Hornady bullets or do you simply use what Hornady does in their loaded rounds?

-- Jeff

Posts: 51 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jxb:
Note to those that missed the mag offer and purchased March 2020 or later, it's on again.

Thank you! I did not know that. My second (308) purchase falls in the time period.

And congratulations on your purchase. Let us know how you like it.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
You're welcome, just remember to follow their instructions exactly. Based on what people say about the process that's what is needed to actually get it.

I'll be sure to update on the rig once I get it and a run through at the range.

Posts: 51 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're welcome, just remember to follow their instructions exactly.

We shall see. The odd thing I experienced was in entering the purchase date.

When I filled out the form originally there was no problem with the date. I then uploaded the receipt, but before submitting decided to go back and highlight the serial number. I couldn’t, though, change what had been uploaded, so I closed the page and then started over. Every time I tried to enter the purchase date after that it kept changing to a different date. I tried several different times, including after closing the page and going back, but it kept doing the same thing. The date that was automatically entered was still within the proper period so I finally just left it, but it doesn’t match the date on the receipt. I suppose that could cause the request to be rejected. Time will tell.

But thanks again. It would be nice to have a spare magazine for free.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention they are also offering warranty extension of additional year. Details here! https://www.tikka.fi/support/warranty-activation

Basically if you are still within the 2yr warranty you can get it extended another year for 3 total.

As for your mag purchase date issue, I'd contact the web page administrator and let them know of the issue and what browser you were using.

In case of any questions, please contact: info@sako.fi
e-mail addr was found at this URL which is an interesting read:
https://www.tikka.fi/privacy-policy
I didn't realize that "Beretta Holding Group" owns Sako (which own Sako and Tikka). I really need to get out more...

I normally use duckduckgo or Firefox, but sometimes I need to use Chrome for forms to work correctly. This is mostly because my normal browsers are locked down pretty tight and I leave Chrome default, only using it when I must. Hazards of being a Unix/Linux SA for a living I guess, most of the old timers are pretty security aware. lol

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Just ordered Tikka CTR in .308 stainless steel
Will probably drop it into a KRG chassis
I really need to stop reading these threads......

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1299 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
Just ordered Tikka CTR in .308 stainless steel.

Let us know how you like it. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Just ordered Tikka CTR in .308 stainless steel.

Let us know how you like it. Smile

Thinking of dropping this in a McRees Precision G10 chassis
DYI, drop in, your thoughts?
Target and critter control

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1299 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thinking of dropping this in a McRees Precision G10 chassis

That looks good.

I had the original Tikka “tactical” stocks on rifles for several years, but I much prefer a chassis system now because of the greater flexibility they provide in terms of options and adjustments. FWIW, I have also become a fan of the Arca rail system for mounting the rifle on bipods and tripods. There are often extra expenses involved, such as the rail itself, and then sometimes adapters to go from one type to another, but again I like the flexibility it offers.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
quote:
T3x TACT A1 in lefty (JRTAC482L)
6.5 Creedmoor - 143 Gr - BTHP - Norma Golden Target

I had mine out for first site in the other day, shot sub MOA right out of the box. I'm pretty sure once I get more used to it those will be sub 1/2 MOA as most of the holes were touching.

I guess I like it :-)

-- Jeff

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I like it :-)

Smile

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
New 308 group at the end of the first post.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

posted Hide Post
Looks like a winner.

On my 6.5, if my can ever gets out of jail I'll be using it on this as well as my 7mag Cooper. It's a Thunderbeast ultra 9 gen 2 30cal. I checked the threads on this A1 ans 5/8×24 so I'm all set.

Thanks for posting the blurb about the shift without vs with can. I knew there would be some but didn't realize so much. Will be interesting to see what mine do. I'm still hoping to get the notification this year, Time will tell.

The 6.5 is so easy to shoot I haven't put the CB30 on it yet, but i was really surprised how much the CB30 reduced recoil on my 7mag, seems more like 308 now.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I knew there would be some but didn't realize so much.

Nearly “off the paper” was significant, but in this case not as much as we usually might think. I dialed 0.6 mils or about 2.2 inches right to move the POI to where the pictured group ended up. I usually shoot other loads with that rifle.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy