SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Well, I did it.

I finally signed up for some instruction.

2 days, 8 hours per, in SD. Being taught by Jim See. He won the Bushnell Brawl and the Heatstroke, and finished #5 for 2015.

Cost was only $225, and it's less than a day's drive, so I figured I don't have much to lose. Who better to teach me how to do well at matches than a guy already doing well?

Have fun and interested in your AAR when you get home.

RMD

I'll be sure to post one. Class is next weekend, 10/3 & 4, so look for it at some point after that.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I finally signed up for some instruction.

You shot well at our T3 match, so this will just be building on the foundation that already exists. Have fun, and in offgrid's words, "shoot fast and don't miss".

The training I had scheduled with Rifles Only this spring was cancelled when the South Platte River flooded the facility in NE Colorado. I am not shooting in this year's state sporting clays tourney (I don't like the facility in Colorado Springs), which runs over the next four days. As a result, I grabbed the last spot in T3's Designated Marksman course this weekend. This T3 course will focus on long distance AR-15 competition -- probably similar to what Alpine and I saw in the Thunderbeast team challenge match last month.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words. I think that my performance there was more beginners luck than anything, if the next two matches were any indication, anyway...

In any event - I look forward to your AAR from training as well!

We would all do well to follow Offgrid's advice. Wink

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
Got out again this morning with the new .223. Trying to do a little load development by fine tuning the powder charge. I'm very pleased with this rifle and thought I'd share todays target.

I dunno, looks like you have some challenges getting that thing to shoot well. Ship that bad boy poodle shooter to me and I can figure something out over the course of a few years. Really, it's not a burden, it's the least I can do to help. Wink

Thanks Fritz, I'll keep you offer in mind Wink Just opened a big box of Lapua brass and Berger bullets for her. Going to start cranking out some rounds over the next few days.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Went to the range today to verify zero and burn up the last of some ammo loaded for a match that didn't get used. It was the tail end of the powder lot, and I didn't want to go to training this weekend with rounds loaded from 2 different lots.

It still shoots. This is 5 shots @ 100 yards.

Round count 1496. 2867fps, 6.5x47 Lapua.

posted Hide Post
I just returned from the T3 Designated Marksman class, held at the T3 ranch, which is northwest of Fort Morgan, CO. Great class, with a lot of things going on over the two days. I need to collect my thoughts, then put them together for an AAR.

Alpine -- two of this weekend's T3 instructors shot at last month's Thunderbeast Team Challenge. They are great shooters, so with my tail between my legs I asked how they did. <<..drum roll..>>

Dude, we finished 8 positions higher than they did. I didn't have the heart, nor wasn't enough of a dick, to tell them that. We definitely weren't happy with our results, but we still did a some things right.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:

Alpine -- two of this weekend's T3 instructors shot at last month's Thunderbeast Team Challenge. They are great shooters, so with my tail between my legs I asked how they did. <<..drum roll..>>

Dude, we finished 8 positions higher than they did. I didn't have the heart, nor wasn't enough of a dick, to tell them that. We definitely weren't happy with our results, but we still did a some things right.

LOL. I liked that.

Looking forward to a report on what they taught, etc.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gun threads often spend too much bandwidth on equipment and too little on technique, but here's something else on equipment. Well, sorta -- shirts.

For the past year I've shot rifle matches with trusty long sleeved heavy cotton t-shirts, but they are beginning to show some wear. Furthermore, going prone on semi-desert ground means I've dug a bunch of sharp pokey things from my forearms. I like some of the Crye Precision shirts, but not so much their prices. Alpine suggested 5.11's Rapid Assault Shirt ($60) in solid khaki, which I bought a few weeks ago. I have now worn the shirt for 4 shooting days. My thoughts:

- The body is a stretchy poly/cotton/spandex mix. It's a fairly trim fit. I like the feel and it seems to wick sweat very well.

- The sleeves are loose fit poly/cotton ripstop. Honestly, I'd like a little trimmer fit, but with each day in the field I'm having less and less issues with the fit. The Velcro bicep/deltoid pockets are quite nice. Velco closures on the wrist work well and seem burly, and should last a long time. Alpine wore a nice shirt at the Thunderbeast Team Challenge, but stated the Velcro at the wrist was a little wimpy, and thus was a weakness for that brand.

- Especially for a long sleeve shirt, I have stayed pretty comfy in 75 to 90 degree sunny days. The first day out my arms felt a bit hot. I suspect there was some water proofing on the sleeves from the factory. Now that the shirt was been washed a few times, I feel the sleeves breathe a bit better.

- The forearms and elbows have double layers of poly/cotton ripstop fabric. Frickin' brilliant. Definitely one of the best parts of the design. Pokey things don't poke me now.

- The body has a 1/4 zip, with a collar that can lay flat or be zipped up. Very nice for venting, and also for keeping sun off my neck when zipped up.

- The shirt dries quickly after washing. I washed it one evening then hung it to dry in the shower, to see if I could use one shirt on back-to-back training or match days while on the road. It was dry by the middle of the night -- but note that relative humidity was really low here that day.

Honestly, one of the best $60 I've spent related to firearms. I will buy a second shirt just like it by next spring. Kudos to Alpine for the suggestion.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gun threads often spend too much bandwidth on equipment and too little on technique, but here's something else on equipment. Well, sorta -- shirts.

For the past year I've shot rifle matches with trusty long sleeved heavy cotton t-shirts, but they are beginning to show some wear. Furthermore, going prone on semi-desert ground means I've dug a bunch of sharp pokey things from my forearms. I like some of the Crye Precision shirts, but not so much their prices. Alpine suggested 5.11's Rapid Assault Shirt ($60) in solid khaki, which I bought a few weeks ago. I have now worn the shirt for 4 shooting days. My thoughts:

- The body is a stretchy poly/cotton/spandex mix. It's a fairly trim fit. I like the feel and it seems to wick sweat very well.

- The sleeves are loose fit poly/cotton ripstop. Honestly, I'd like a little trimmer fit, but with each day in the field I'm having less and less issues with the fit. The Velcro bicep/deltoid pockets are quite nice. Velco closures on the wrist work well and seem burly, and should last a long time. Alpine wore a nice shirt at the Thunderbeast Team Challenge, but stated the Velcro at the wrist was a little wimpy, and thus was a weakness for that brand.

- Especially for a long sleeve shirt, I have stayed pretty comfy in 75 to 90 degree sunny days. The first day out my arms felt a bit hot. I suspect there was some water proofing on the sleeves from the factory. Now that the shirt was been washed a few times, I feel the sleeves breathe a bit better.

- The forearms and elbows have double layers of poly/cotton ripstop fabric. Frickin' brilliant. Definitely one of the best parts of the design. Pokey things don't poke me now.

- The body has a 1/4 zip, with a collar that can lay flat or be zipped up. Very nice for venting, and also for keeping sun off my neck when zipped up.

- The shirt dries quickly after washing. I washed it one evening then hung it to dry in the shower, to see if I could use one shirt on back-to-back training or match days while on the road. It was dry by the middle of the night -- but note that relative humidity was really low here that day.

Honestly, one of the best $60 I've spent related to firearms. I will buy a second shirt just like it by next spring. Kudos to Alpine for the suggestion.

Sounds almost exactly like how I'd describe the Crye shirts I own - with the exception of the Crye shirts having removable elbow pads - the biggest reason why I bought them.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sounds almost exactly like how I'd describe the Crye shirts I own - with the exception of the Crye shirts having removable elbow pads - the biggest reason why I bought them.

The shirts that I've been wearing at most of the matches are Army Issue Massif Combat Shirts, they are designed to be worn under body armor, thus the thin CoolMax torso section. I was buying them new from returning Afghan U.S. Combat Vets for as little as $25 each. However, with the draw down in Afghanistan, they are getting harder to find at a fair price. Surplus Stores are selling them for $50+. As Fritz said, the velcro on the wrist cuffs are crap, and don't last beyond a few washings. There's a newer version out that is being issued to AF Pararescue and Army SF, but I've yet to see any on the Surplus market. Like the 5-11 commercial market, they have a half-zipper and pull up collar. For the price, the 5-11 shirt is pretty good quality considering it's made in the Far-East.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just returned from the T3 Designated Marksman class, held at the T3 ranch, which is northwest of Fort Morgan, CO. Great class, with a lot of things going on over the two days. I need to collect my thoughts, then put them together for an AAR.

Yeah, I was aware of our standing compared to theirs, but again I knew at leat one of the two it was his first Match ever. Before that, all his experience has been real-world combat.

Speaking of T3, last match of the season registration is up.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
A friendly reminder to re-check your loads when switching powder lots.

I took 10 rounds loaded with the old lot with. All rounds were shot at the same time, rifle and chrono in the same position, same time of day, etc etc. I didn't shoot for groups, or any of that - I already know what velocity the rifle likes, so I was just trying to see where I would land with the new lot, and adjust my charge accordingly.

My old lot of H4350, at 40.5 grains, averaged 2769 on the chrono, with an SD of 3.

The new lot, I loaded up 5 each at 40, 40.2, 40.5, and 40.7.

40 averaged 2791.

40.2 averaged 2790.

40.5 averaged 2814.

I didn't shoot 40.7.

Now, I don't BELIEVE that those numbers are my ACTUAL velocity, but, what I do believe is that the chrono is consistent. Meaning, when it tells me that one charge weight is faster or slower than another, in relation to each other, I believe that much is correct. My ACTUAL speed (the one entered for dope charts), I let Applied Ballistics figure out for me based on observed data in field conditions. That's the only one that matters. The bullet doesn't lie, right? For the record, with 40.5 of the old lot, and observed drop data to 1020 yards at the last shoot, Applied Ballistics says I'm at 2867.

So, given the information I have above, I'm going to lower my charge weight to 39.8 and call it good. I have.. *ahem*.. Several.. 8# jugs of this lot, so I don't anticipate having to repeat this exercise at all in the near future.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
I guess I got lucky, I transistioned to another lot of H4350, and saw no change in velocity. I was worried at first, because I had about 75-rounds left over from the Cup, which was going to force me to change Dope in the middle of a match, and when I checked, there was no change.

George Carlin

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
I guess I got lucky, I transistioned to another lot of H4350, and saw no change in velocity. I was worried at first, because I had about 75-rounds left over from the Cup, which was going to force me to change Dope in the middle of a match, and when I checked, there was no change.

If only.

Though I'll tell you this - observed dope today, out to 1203, 52 degrees, da 1500, applied ballistics came up with 2767. ??

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Ordered an Impact Precision action yesterday from TS Customs.

Thinking about having it chambered in 6BRX. Haven't decided yet. I have a few months to wait.

According to Travis, these actions will have tolerances tight enough to allow for mail-order barrels, just like an AI. No shipping to a smith (as long as you have action/barrel wrenches to do the swap).

posted Hide Post
exx1976 see this.

http://www.precisionrifleserie...-october-9-2015.html

Plan right now, Sin City Precision, Shoot for the Green, Battle of Breakneck, Rifleman's Roundup. Cup? Depending where it's at, how big of a circus.

Disappointing no match in Albuquerque next year.

BRX vs Dasher? Like the longer neck of the Dasher, run out out of neck with throat movement with the BRX? Guessing the BRX might feed just a tad better because of the shoulder angle? Doubt we could shoot the difference between them. The Dashers chambered around me are silly accurate.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I did see that.

And unless you're already registered for the SCP match, forget about it. It's full. Registration was on 9/30 from 1800-1900 PST.

I wasn't happy when I found that out.

I'm considering Shoot for the Green.

I'm already registered for Battle of Breakneck.

Probably do the cup. Not sure what other one, but I'd like to do 3 or 4 actual PRS matches.

I'm shooting a cash match in Wall this weekend.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Well, as luck would have it, a slot for the 2015 GAP Grind just opened up, so I'll be there.

Anyone else from here going?

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
About to head out to shoot another match here in a few minutes. This one is in Wall, SD.

Get back late Sunday night, reload a crap-ton, then head out again next Wednesday night or Thursday morning for TN for the Grind.

AND I still owe an AAR from training. Man, I'm going to owe a lot of AARs by the time I'm finished with this. LOL

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
About to head out to shoot another match here in a few minutes. This one is in Wall, SD.

Get back late Sunday night, reload a crap-ton, then head out again next Wednesday night or Thursday morning for TN for the Grind.

AND I still owe an AAR from training. Man, I'm going to owe a lot of AARs by the time I'm finished with this. LOL

Yes, Yes you will. Pictures, don't forget the pictures for those who didn't get to go.

Have fun and shoot straight you puke!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post