SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
AAR - Continued.

Second day, as previously mentioned, you were pretty much shooting at the same targets at each stage as the day before. However, they made it more difficult because of the positions shooting off of rocks, and rock outcroppings. The only stages the same were the metal barricade, the long distance targets, and the hangmans noose. They did not allow the use of a tripod the second day with the hangmans noose, and my shooting sticks were too short as you were pretty much in a standing position.

Well, I managed to make it through this fast paced match without zeroing a stage. I made plenty of mistakes, mostly poor planning on how to approch a stage, for example. Twice I planned on, and deployed my shooting sticks, and wasted time finding out they wouldn't work as planned. I also caught myself rushing shots so I didn't time out, but made numerous misses, where I should have taken the time for quality shots which would equate to more hits and less misses, even though I may have timed-out.

Day one I fired 83 out 100 rounds possible, day two I fired 78 out of 100 rounds possible. Bonus, I was able to recover every piece of brass during the match, which is amazing considering all the brass falling through the cracks in the rocks, many out of reach of human hands.

In the end I placed 44th out of a 100. I felt I could have done much better, but looking back, I finished ahead of many well known, and usually better shooters than me. At the awards ceremony, it was humbling to be with such a large group of great shooters, many before this point known only by name.

Had a great time, and look forward to the next NRL match in April at Gunsite Academy (Arizona).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alpine,

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I saw pics of the shoot through the noose stage.

Looks like that about sucked...

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
FYI - Registration goes live April 1st (No Fooling) for the Mile High Shootout 21-23 July at www.nationalrifleleague.org

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alpine, interesting & challenging match. Time limits sound pretty tight -- no lollygagging on this one.

The noose stage didn't look like much fun. Same for the tubular barricade thingie. I don't think I've seen hay bales stations set up like that before. Definitely not a belly bench rest match.

Well done.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
There was also a Caracal sponsored side match, where you had 10-rounds (9mm) to engage five steel plates at 15 to 20-yards. Fastest shooter to hit all five plates (at least once) won the pistol.

So....1st place wins a Caracal pistol.
2nd place wins two Caracal pistols.... Big Grin
quote:
This is were I discover my ultra smooth feeding Magpul PMAG AC magazines aren't so smooth, and the bolt hits and stops at the back of the feedlips when there is pressure on the mag from the bag under the forearm, or while resting the mag on the hay bail.

I have one Magpul AC mag -- I won't buy another, and will stick with my metal AICS mags. In both the Fort Carson and Pueblo matches this year, I chambered an empty round roughly half way through the mag. The bolt just didn't strip the next round from the magazine. << click >> Mentioned it to offgrid after the matches, and he asked if I short stroked the bolt. Made me think, however I've never short stroked either of my bolt rifles while using AICS mags.

Last month while practicing, the PMAG failed to load one round for both my 6.5 and 308, again roughly in the middle of the magazine, and I know I cycled the bolt properly. I haven't shot the PMAG with pressure on it like you state.

PMAGs load easily and cycle smoothly, but my one mag is now banished to a storage box in the basement.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
There was also a Caracal sponsored side match, where you had 10-rounds (9mm) to engage five steel plates at 15 to 20-yards. Fastest shooter to hit all five plates (at least once) won the pistol.

So....1st place wins a Caracal pistol.
2nd place wins two Caracal pistols.... Big Grin

Travis Gibson, MGM Targets and 3-Gun champion had the fastet time. He gave the pistol to another shooter at the awards ceremony.

George Carlin

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Offgrid, Fritz, and myself shot the monthly Sporting Rifle Match in Raton, and although we had a cold morning start, with some mud to contend with, the day turned out awesome. Crowd that showed was small because of the weather forecast predicting a Winter Apocalypse. As usuall, the wind was it's normal tricky self, switching, dropping, etc., most of the time it was hovering around 5-mph. I had one shot caught and carried by what I calculate as a 30-mph wind gust. Congrats to Offgrid with a strong Second Place (tie) Finish with a score of 52. I managed to score a 51, putting me in Fourth Place. Always a fun match, no matter the outcome.

George Carlin

posted Hide Post
Yeah, offgrid and Alpine shot well. Me, not so much. Alpine -- I feel for your suckfest pain last month, as it was my turn yesterday. Consistently shooting high over target after target after target wasn't fun.

I pretty much figure that I didn't setup up my new NF scope correctly. The scope's centerline is .2" higher than my other rifle, so I just assumed adding a couple of shims under the stock pad would get me to the same check weld and eye position. I also figured the 20 rounds I shot a few weeks ago while zeroing the scope would have to do, since weather ixnayed shooting last weekend. Not so much.

I dry fired back and forth between the two rifles for an hour last night. I think the cheek piece on the new scope still needs to be raised .2", as the shims I added aren't doing squat. Fore/aft on the new scope is probably OK, even though I thought that was the issue yesterday.

I was pretty much the sheep dip for the day.

It took some time with the garden hose to clean the mud off my shooting mat and Goretex pants & jacket last night.

posted Hide Post
As always good shooting with Alpine and fritz. Fun time!

Last two matches seems like I can't catch a break with that pesky wind. This match twice the wind switch 180 degrees on me while shooting a stage, over cast skies, no mirage, no leaves in the trees yet.... Oh well, maybe the wind God's will give me a break at the next match! Oh, just for the record sole 2nd place based on the tie-breaker stage (shooting off of a tripod) I cleaned Big Grin Couldn't be happier with how the Dasher shot, such a sweet caliber. On the practice range, 240-690yds, I go for the bolts holding the targets!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm somewhat disappointed that Alpine hasn't posted a picture of the Official Chicano Rap Tour bus -- while it was "touring" from the parking lot of the Raton grocery store to that of the nearby discount retailer.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
FYI - Registration goes live April 1st (No Fooling) for the Mile High Shootout 21-23 July at www.nationalrifleleague.org

According to Travis, it opens 4/10?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people think that the NRA Whittington Center makes Raton what it is. No way Jose. It's the cultural diversity of Raton that makes Whittington the epitome of places to shoot. Outside of Radio City Music Hall, one just can't find better music.

Dave's not here.....

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

According to Travis, it opens 4/10?

It was going to, until Travis had his laptop stolen. Thus the delay.

George Carlin

posted Hide Post
Another report from the Dasher channel. Shot 130rds yesterday practicing for a upcoming "Special Olympics" LR steel match. Alpine came up with that term. This barrel now has 1700rds on it, shooting great. Chrono'd it around 1200rds, same velocity. Haven't changed anything, charge, seating depth.... One of the many things I like about this caliber, so easy to tune! Always silly low ES with very little effort w/o all the fuss. Low ES shows itself at distance, not much vertical.

5 Shots at 500yds. Paper set up next to a piece steel, put a couple rounds on the steel to confirm wind. Bang out 5rds holding the same wind.

5 Shots through the Magneto Big Grin

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Another report from the Dasher channel. Shot 130rds yesterday practicing for a upcoming "Special Olympics" LR steel match. Alpine came up with that term. This barrel now has 1700rds on it, shooting great. Chrono'd it around 1200rds, same velocity. Haven't changed anything, charge, seating depth.... One of the many things I like about this caliber, so easy to tune! Always silly low ES with very little effort w/o all the fuss. Low ES shows itself at distance, not much vertical.

5 Shots at 500yds. Paper set up next to a piece steel, put a couple rounds on the steel to confirm wind. Bang out 5rds holding the same wind.

5 Shots through the Magneto Big Grin

That's about the same speed SWMBO gets from her Dasher. Can't recall if we discussed this or not, but.. What's your load? Her's is 33gn Varget with a 107SMK.

posted Hide Post
32.6/Varget/Hybrids/CCI450/26"

Low ES/node go hand in hand, seeing the same?

Sent jelrod1 a loaded Dtac dummy round, he'll throat the chamber to match. Next barrel 7.5 twist/28", another Kreiger 4 groove/.237 bore.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sent jelrod1 a loaded Dtac dummy round, he'll throat the chamber to match. Next barrel 7.5 twist/28", another Kreiger 4 groove/.237 bore.

Dunno. I gave up on chrono's and chasing numbers a long time ago.

Load development at 600 yards, pick the tightest vertical, play with seating depth, then shoot at distance to get observed dope. Use said dope and banded GCs in Applied Ballistics to generate drop chart.

She's made first-round hits at 1880 with it, so.. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

Dunno. I gave up on chrono's and chasing numbers a long time ago.

Load development at 600 yards, pick the tightest vertical, play with seating depth, then shoot at distance to get observed dope. Use said dope and banded GCs in Applied Ballistics to generate drop chart.

She's made first-round hits at 1880 with it, so.. Smile

Great way to go about it! I'm shooting at 100yds here, pick a couple loads, drive a hour and half, shoot those loads at distance...... Not chasing numbers, just happens.

posted Hide Post
fritz and this little fish jumped in a big pond, shot a PRS match in Albuquerque this weekend.

Arrived Friday afternoon, sign in, puts rounds on the practice range. 100yd paper targets to check zero, shot at others bullet holes, put a few rounds on top of them, OK Dasher zero good. Chased the fish tailing winds at 600 and 780yds. Scratching my head, dust going L-R, mirage R-L, flag next to the range going all over. The very fine sandy soil would explode with a impact, tough to pinpoint misses, was that high/low or just left? Shot 30rds at those targets, missed more then I hit, yikes!! Fellow Colorado buddies having the same trouble. Wind forecast for the weekend tougher. Fun stuff!

Challenging match, very fast times, lots of positional shooting, difficult wind. 18 stages, only dialed one stage, held over/under all others, no time to dial. Targets from 310-1005yds. Shot most of the match at 12-15 power. Higher magnification would been very difficult to find targets. Shot OK first day, made a few mental mistakes holding, several missed wind calls. Wind got worse as the day went on, up/down, changing directions.... 11th place after day one. Day two started out poorly. Shooting a little high off of barricades, not sure what was going on, gave up valuable points. Last stage finished strong. 7 different positions, two targets 400/610. Two shots from each position, move to next position some 10-20ft away. Ran the stage twice. First run just one bag allowed, hit 7/14. Second run use anything you brought, hit 11/14 using a tripod for rear support, 3 missed wind holds. Finished in 12th place. Sure wanted to crack the top ten, close but no cigar.

I've shot a few PRS match. Still learning how to balance my time. One 90 second 10 shot, 3 position stage had 22 seconds left, others timed out. Need to learn to recognize the difficulty, manage my time, when to slow down, when to know I'm not getting to all the positions.....

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
fritz and this little fish jumped in a big pond, shot a PRS match in Albuquerque this weekend.

Arrived Friday afternoon, sign in, puts rounds on the practice range. 100yd paper targets to check zero, shot at others bullet holes, put a few rounds on top of them, OK Dasher zero good. Chased the fish tailing winds at 600 and 780yds. Scratching my head, dust going L-R, mirage R-L, flag next to the range going all over. The very fine sandy soil would explode with a impact, tough to pinpoint misses, was that high/low or just left? Shot 30rds at those targets, missed more then I hit, yikes!! Fellow Colorado buddies having the same trouble. Wind forecast for the weekend tougher. Fun stuff!

Challenging match, very fast times, lots of positional shooting, difficult wind. 18 stages, only dialed one stage, held over/under all others, no time to dial. Targets from 310-1005yds. Shot most of the match at 12-15 power. Higher magnification would been very difficult to find targets. Shot OK first day, made a few mental mistakes holding, several missed wind calls. Wind got worse as the day went on, up/down, changing directions.... 11th place after day one. Day two started out poorly. Shooting a little high off of barricades, not sure what was going on, gave up valuable points. Last stage finished strong. 7 different positions, two targets 400/610. Two shots from each position, move to next position some 10-20ft away. Ran the stage twice. First run just one bag allowed, hit 7/14. Second run use anything you brought, hit 11/14 using a tripod for rear support, 3 missed wind holds. Finished in 12th place. Sure wanted to crack the top ten, close but no cigar.

I've shot a few PRS match. Still learning how to balance my time. One 90 second 10 shot, 3 position stage had 22 seconds left, others timed out. Need to learn to recognize the difficulty, manage my time, when to slow down, when to know I'm not getting to all the positions.....

I feel your pain.

I shot a little club match Saturday.

Aside from it being in IL with their draconian gun laws, the club that hosted it had a bunch of draconian rules of their own, all of which we completely ignored and told them to pound sand. They weren't happy, but the MD said ignore them.

The winner of the match only hit 56%. Horrible targets, bad wind, ALL positional, terrible equipment restrictions. I won't be going back there.