SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Low-recoil 12-ga ammo for home defense use?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low-recoil 12-ga ammo for home defense use? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
birdshot load (AA12FL8)

Thank you for that, and for the stock number.

quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
How about a 9" subsonic 300Blk with suppressor?

That's for ME! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents ..

I am in a similar situation as my wife is 4'10.

My eventual "solution" was to look for something that can reliably handle the little Aguila Mini shells or the Federal "Shorty's. They both come in buck or slug. If you look at the projectile weights and velocities, they pretty much mimic the 410. This is for home defense; we don't have a mansion. These loads should be quite effective up to 15 yards.

My opinion was that it was more important to have a gun that my wife was comfortable with than it was to have something (that will bring down a bear), that she is afraid to shoot.

I went to a gun show looking for a Mossberg 590S as this is advertised as handling Mini shells without modification. Instead, I ran across a Keltec KS7. This is a Bullpup design that should be very handy around the house. (Warning, it's quite light, so if you plan on shooting some 3" rounds .... you'll definitely know when it is fired!) It's actually kind of fun to shoot the Mini shells, like a 410. Holds about 10 Minis.

I'm generally not much of a Keltec fan but this goofy little shotgun seems well made. I've only put about 30 rounds through it (it's cold outside). But so far it has fed the Minis and Shorty's 100 percent of the time. So far, I'm satisfied with this little gun.

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It’s been crazy the last few days at work. I will toss some winchester bird shot in as well. I’m off Thursday Friday so I can ship it then.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Second the recommendation for Aguila mini-shells; they are super fun; sadly other than just a few on-line sources at +$1.00/rnd they have been hard to find

I also unexpectedly found myself really liking the Kel-Tec; KSG in my case; runs the 1 & 3/4" shells flawlessly; controlled rapid fire is very achievable. [BONUS: Capacity afforded any shotgun ; Kel-Tek KSG with the mini's capacity goes up to 22+1 Eek

quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
My 2 cents ..

I am in a similar situation as my wife is 4'10.

My eventual "solution" was to look for something that can reliably handle the little Aguila Mini shells or the Federal "Shorty's. They both come in buck or slug. If you look at the projectile weights and velocities, they pretty much mimic the 410. This is for home defense; we don't have a mansion. These loads should be quite effective up to 15 yards.

My opinion was that it was more important to have a gun that my wife was comfortable with than it was to have something (that will bring down a bear), that she is afraid to shoot.

I went to a gun show looking for a Mossberg 590S as this is advertised as handling Mini shells without modification. Instead, I ran across a Keltec KS7. This is a Bullpup design that should be very handy around the house. (Warning, it's quite light, so if you plan on shooting some 3" rounds .... you'll definitely know when it is fired!) It's actually kind of fun to shoot the Mini shells, like a 410. Holds about 10 Minis.

I'm generally not much of a Keltec fan but this goofy little shotgun seems well made. I've only put about 30 rounds through it (it's cold outside). But so far it has fed the Minis and Shorty's 100 percent of the time. So far, I'm satisfied with this little gun.

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
It’s been crazy the last few days at work. I will toss some Winchester bird shot in as well. I’m off Thursday Friday so I can ship it then.

Thank you!
I tossed some goods in an envelope headed your way as well.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
...but a blowback 9mm PCC like the CZ Scorpion has even a bit more felt recoil than a gas operated .223 like an AR15.

I don't have a CZ Scorpion, but I do have a Wilson Combat 9mm blowback 8" barrel AR, and multiple 14" and 16" AR15s.

Over the past year I've participated in the Sigforum postal match, with side-by-side comparisons of the 9mm AR and the 223 AR15. My 9mm is noticeable lighter than my regular ARs -- without putting them on the scale, I suspect the 9mm weighs 2-3 pounds less than the AR15s. I shoot suppressed, and the 223 can is more efficient than my 9mm can -- thus reducing recoil better in 223.

I feel less recoil with my 9mm AR than I do with my 223 AR15s, even though the 9mm is lighter. I can bring the 9mm up to target faster, my split times are faster, and my transitions between targets are faster.

I can't speak for other brands and designs of 9mm carbines, but my 9mm Wilson blowback carbine has quite soft recoil. The 9mm is noticeably easier to shoot than a 223 AR15.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
It has been mentioned in this thread, with photos, already, but the flite-control wads basically turn buckshot into a slug at across the room distances. I shot several types of buckshot out of my Mossberg 500 at 15yds, only the cheap stuff opened up at all. REM reduced recoil, Federal and Hornady Flight Control buckshot was all basically like a slug on paper, and honestly I couldn’t tell the difference for the reduced recoil either.

I do have my Mossberg in the closet ready to go, but I’d rather grab the P226 under the bed first. No chak-chak but 20 round mags of 124gr +P Golddots will also ruin someone’s day in a hurry.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I’d rather grab the P226 under the bed first.

We're getting there, but on her pace. Trust me, I'll be a hella-happy fella when she decides she wants a P226!

God bless America.

Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
We have a 20 gauge 11-87 that works for the ladies in my family. It’s a youth model, the short stock makes recoil more manageable. I think that is key. Extremely reliable. 20 gauge buckshot is no joke. The ladies also use it for turkeys. They have no complaints.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll be a hella-happy fella when she decides she wants a P226!

My wife would love to shoot a P226 but we are geezers and she has arthritis in hands and wrists. So our plan is more training for her with her Apex-modified S&W 520 revolver.

She's also good to go with an AR, as trained by Bruce Gray.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do my best to steer people towards something in the 556 semi-flavor for home defense. Low recoil, very effective, similar size and I'd argue simpler manual of arms, especially under stress.

We all have different needs but as much as I respect shotguns in their niche they are not my recommendation for the untrained or recoil sensitive. No offense to her, that's general advice.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

I'm open to an auto. In fact, there's a 20-ga 11-87 we could put our hands on quickly. What would be your recommendation for feeding it?

I have had a 12 gauge 11-87 police for a long time, the great thing about the 11-87 is its gas system is self-regulating so basically you can shoot anything as far as length and power all in a row.

The bad news is (at least in my experience) that the O-rings usually break shorta often

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my mid-2010s production 12 ga. 11-87 shreds o-rings. I bought a jumbo pack of generic ones, and replace the o-ring every time I clean it.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reminder... I need to get some new o-rings for my bird gun.

God bless America.

Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
As mentioned a Mossberg pump with Aguila mini-shells and the proper adapter, or one of the newer pumps that does not require the adapter.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with this adapter, blfuller. Tell me more?

God bless America.

Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
There are two of them that I am aware of. The OPSol Mini-clip https://www.opsolmini-clip.com/ that works with all 500 series pumps and the Defender Tactical https://defendertactical.com/p...al-minishell-adapter Which works with newer 500 series shotguns with specific cuts in the receiver. These support the Aguila mini-shells when transitioning from the mag tube to the chamber because they are shorter than a 2.75" shotshell.

Not sure if the older shotguns can be retrofitted with the parts that new 590S series uses to feed the 1.75 shells.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I don't think moving to a 20 gauge really gives you much of a recoil advantage.

Just looking at the shells, yes, standard 2 3/4" shell 12 gauge loads will produce a little more recoil than standard 20 gauge loads, but lighter-than-standard 12 gauge loads are MUCH more available than lighter-than-standard 20 gauge loads. Light 12 gauge loads will produce similar or just slightly more recoil than standard 20 gauge loads.

When you add in that the 20 gauge version of a shotgun is usually quite a bit lighter than the 12 gauge version, a 20 gauge can actually be LESS pleasant to shoot than light loads in a 12 (depending on how much weight difference there is between the specific shotguns in question).

I've put a lot of shells (birdshot, but the physics doesn't care) through a 12 ga Browning Superposed and a 20 ga Superposed. The 20 is nice to carry around but I'd rather shoot the 12 with 1 ounce loads than the 20 with 7/8 ounce loads (or the 12 with 1 1/8 ounce loads rather than the 20 with 1 ounce loads).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post