SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Steyr DMR
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr DMR Login/Join 
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted
This looks interesting and totally out of left field. I liked the candor from the rep. Straightforward and to the point. Rep claims will be available by end of year and 100% sure it will be in the US, taking pre orders now. Price will be "decent."

- 6.4 lbs, less than SCAR

- Claims the accuracy would be similar to SCAR.

- Barrel changes would be similar to SCAR, maybe a little easier.

- Piston system, with 4 gas settings

- Folding AR stock, AR mags

- Full Ambi

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That looks fantastic and unless I'm missing something, the US is still the number one sales market in the world for firearms, so, yeah, Steyr will want to make sure it's available here.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. And I think some US AR-10 makers are feeling a little nervous.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Please insert jpeg here of Fry saying "Shut up and take my money."

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, I’ll be keeping an eye on this. Looks like it definitely fills a niche in the market. If they bring it to market priced low enough, I see this smoking a lot of the competition.

quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
And I think some US AR-10 makers are feeling a little nervous.

And a particular Belgian manufacturer as well.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
They have some pretty nice optics that could be paired with it too. Stuff they used to have to hold their nose and put on HK 417s.

This one seems to check a lot of boxes. Anxious to see more.

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like a decent feature set but 14" barrel and DMR? Given the huge issues of getting this stuff into the US I can't imagine a gun headed for production in Europe at the end of 2023 will be here till much later (remember FN prior to US production had to make a single stack and mill it here) and then to have alternative barrels and then... Seems like you have lots of time to save your money...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I assume they'll bring it here with a 16 inch barrel. That's just the Europe cool guy glass case special. Seems like they are fans of the shorter 308s there. 13 inch SCAR, 13 inch 417 etc.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Interesting features. I'd like to get my hands on it outside of a case. Too bad he didn't get to fondle it.

If they are increasing their footprint, I'm hoping that means better access to AUG parts and accessories.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Will be curious to see the MSRP & how it compares to the competition when/if it makes it here.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
If it comes in under $3K I'll wear my underwear outside my pants for a day.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing it’s $3750

Posts: 6659 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I’m guessing it’s $3750

$1, Bob!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where’s it being made? If it’s in Austria, it would have to be imported neutered and then legalized with a number of US parts, or a U.S. made receiver with again a mixture of parts.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Where’s it being made? If it’s in Austria, it would have to be imported neutered and then legalized with a number of US parts, or a U.S. made receiver with again a mixture of parts.

In the video, I thought he said built in USA since they already have a US plant …

I loved his comment about price, “it’ll be priced decent”

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I’m guessing it’s $3750

Well, if we're playing the thin air guessing game, I'm gonna say they'll bring it to market cheaper than the SCAR 17. There's no reason this can't be a lot less than three grand, and probably closer to two.

While we're at it, let's be honest: The only reason the SCAR costs what it does is because it says FN on it, and I'm not saying it's sour grapes here, I've owned a few FN rifles and still have one. The AUG's MSRP is $2,199 and it sells for a hair under two grand. Sticking with caliber, the SCAR 16's MSRP is $3,839 and sells for right at $3,400. If Steyr wanted to eat FN's lunch, I think there's a sizable market for people who want a modern .308 that isn't an AR10 and don't want to spend SCAR 17 money and they likely know this. Of course, they could always bring this to market at a head-scratching retail price a hundred bucks under the SCAR 17 and it would be far from the first time I've been wrong, but I doubt the guy in the video would have a smug smile and drop that "it will be priced decent" if this was likely.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I remember the Ft Worth gun show the first time I saw a SCAR 16 on the tables. Circa 07 I think. Could be off. Price tag was 1800ish. In the years following it would rise to the 2200 range. One of the Obama scares and panics rose them into the stratosphere and they never came back. I got my 17 brand new for $2499 in 2014. Nothing has changed. What the hell? Inflation doesn't make up for the difference.

It's just, bullshit.

So yeah Steyr do the right thing and make a product that spanks it and make the price $2200 and you're the new hero of the world.

A guy can dream.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
So yeah Steyr do the right thing and make a product that spanks it and make the price $2200 and you're the new hero of the world.

A guy can dream.

I honestly don't think it's that unreasonable. At around $2,200 I would buy one without a second thought, and I had been following that recent .308 thread because I did the HK91 and the M14 and found neither one to be quite my thing. I still want an accurate and lightweight semi auto .308 with modern ergonomics and controls with a folding stock. That could be a Bren 2 BR if they'd actually bring it to the US market, but since they seemingly won't, it may very well be this Steyr.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
That's all the badmouthing of the M14 I'll stand for. Big Grin

I didn't mean to say $2200 was unreasonable for the 308 Steyr. Totally opposite. Hell like you said if they'd release the 308 Bren here $2200 would be fantastic as well, assuming it wasn't garbage. (Where the hell is it by the way?)

That's the way it should be. At $3500 these companies lose me.

I can do 95% of the same thing with a Galil Ace for the 2K price point.

And these days the AR10s are hard to ignore for even less or equal.

posted Hide Post
Gents,

I'll stick with this as my DMR...

Wes

Posts: 2409 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post