SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Steyr DMR
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr DMR Login/Join 
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it is hard to argue with the SFAR. Half the price of the POF and probably cycles reliably and shoots well. I haven't handled one but I'm sure it's standard Ruger.

I am hoping this Steyr pans out. It's nice to see more options in this space, anyway.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Here's a quickie on the SFAR. I recommend viewing at 1.5x speed.

Posts: 2014 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Here's a quickie on the SFAR. I recommend viewing at 1.5x speed.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm familiar with his level of frustration, courtesy of my POF. The Ruger looks like a solid rig when properly assembled, although the accuracy leaves something to be desired... 2 MOA is pretty atrocious by modern standards, and basically unusable for those of us who like to shoot steel silhouettes at 600 yards or more. Seems like the other samples shot similarly. Then again, it is half the price of the competitors.

I think I'll just tweak my POF until it works and wait patiently for the Steyr to drop, if and when that happens.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t mind paying POF prices if the end result is accurate, lightweight, and reliable. The Ruger with an aftermarket barrel still comes in under the POF. If only we could bully Criterion into making barrels.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I wouldn’t mind paying POF prices if the end result is accurate, lightweight, and reliable. The Ruger with an aftermarket barrel still comes in under the POF. If only we could bully Criterion into making barrels.

That's a fair point. Maybe Ruger will work to accurize the production rifle a bit in the meantime. They seem to be capable of making reasonably accurate rifles these days.

posted Hide Post
The Steyr DMR looks interesting. Time will tell.

Here and now is a lightweight AR10 that works -- the Wilson Combat. Four models of 308, with 16" barrel weights from 7 pounds 5 ounces to 8 pounds 2 ounces.

Wilson Combat rifles offer outstanding accuracy. With match-grade factory ammo, expect sub-MOA to many hundreds of yards.

WC rifles cycle well with match ammo, cheap ball ammo, hunting ammo, hot ammo.

They work just fine both suppressed and unsuppressed.

They cycle fine when a bit over-gassed or under-gassed.

Replacement parts are easy to find. Multiple lengths of barrels exist from WC.

Available in calibers other than 308 -- 243 Win, 260 Remy, 6.5CM, 7mm-08, 338 Federal with WC barrels. But other barrel brands also fit.

Yeah, they're expensive. They work.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
The Steyr DMR looks interesting. Time will tell.

Here and now is a lightweight AR10 that works -- the Wilson Combat. Four models of 308, with 16" barrel weights from 7 pounds 5 ounces to 8 pounds 2 ounces.

Wilson Combat rifles offer outstanding accuracy. With match-grade factory ammo, expect sub-MOA to many hundreds of yards.

WC rifles cycle well with match ammo, cheap ball ammo, hunting ammo, hot ammo.

They work just fine both suppressed and unsuppressed.

They cycle fine when a bit over-gassed or under-gassed.

Replacement parts are easy to find. Multiple lengths of barrels exist from WC.

Available in calibers other than 308 -- 243 Win, 260 Remy, 6.5CM, 7mm-08, 338 Federal with WC barrels. But other barrel brands also fit.

Yeah, they're expensive. They work.

Those look like a solid choice for an AR10.