SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Steyr DMR
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr DMR Login/Join 
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Here's the 7.62x51 Bren at the same show. Chrome lined chamber not bore. Not sure how to feel about that.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
Chrome lined chamber not bore. Not sure how to feel about that.

What’s your concern?
Do you believe both should be chrome lined, or that neither should?

As you may know, the initial practice of chrome lining M16 chambers was to prevent rust/corrosion from forming in the chamber under harsh field conditions and causing chambering and extraction problems.

Chrome lined bores are disfavored by shooters seeking maximum precision.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Just not familiar with the combo. All or none are both known entities to me, not that I'm some authority here.

My mind just seems to think where the chrome ends could be subject to chipping or damage that can then become a problem in a bunch of different ways. But I know CZ aren't dummies so maybe it's no issue. Just curious.

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bren looks cool...
the steyr got me. im gonna have to follow and take a look when it hits the us market (hopefully).
i have 3 steyr's and they are all fantastic imho. they throw the DMR label on a semi auto. im all ears....

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK I'm a SCAR guy. Not for any emotional reason but for what it does its pretty darn good at it. Here we have 2 new European rifles discussed. Neither in the US. Neither can come in as shown. Neither are coming (if ever) in the short term. Some totally silly ideas on what it might cost. And you guys are getting in line. What am I missing. The SCAR may be expensive to some, but its a completely proven system with an extensive infrastructure of FN and aftermarket parts. Let's archive this post and see where we are a year from now...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Highly unlikely I'd dump the SCAR for the Steyr until I see it prove itself definitively. Irwin or Erwin said he's 100% sure it will get to the US.

The Steyr caught my attention because if what Irwin says is true, this will do everything the SCAR does and be lighter. Reliability being the biggest question.

SCAR has a high bar in my mind to beat. But from a distance I thought this thing looked pretty cool.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I still don't have a .308 and am starting to search again. I'll wait and see how the Steyr works out when it releases. I was looking for a lightweight .308.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I still don't have a .308 and am starting to search again. I'll wait and see how the Steyr works out when it releases. I was looking for a lightweight .308.

There’s already a lightweight .308 out now. The Ruger SFAR.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
OK I'm a SCAR guy. Not for any emotional reason but for what it does it’s pretty darn good at it. Here we have 2 new European rifles discussed. Neither in the US. Neither can come in as shown. Neither are coming (if ever) in the short term. Some totally silly ideas on what it might cost. And you guys are getting in line. What am I missing. The SCAR may be expensive to some, but it’s a completely proven system with an extensive infrastructure of FN and aftermarket parts. Let's archive this post and see where we are a year from now...

^^^^
I imagine the CZ and the Steyr will be close to a $1,000 cheaper than the SCAR and they will take a suppressor without voiding the warranty. While .308 rifles typically cost more than 5.56 rifles, the following MSRP comparison should follow with the .308s CZ and Steyr will be selling. And they will be selling them in the USA. Both have a significant presence and recent USSC decisions are supportive of future sales. Anyway:

Bren 2 $1,999
Steyr-AUG $2,199
FN SCAR $3,839

The SCAR in .308 is about $400 dollars more and proportionally, we can expect the same with the CZ and Steyr. IMO, all three brands are high-end and are qualitatively the same. Arguably, the SCAR is overpriced for what you get compared to the others. Don’t take me wrong, I’d love a SCAR with a NRCH but with my budget, my original JLD PTR-91 will have to do.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arguing about pricing of guns not announced or even in civilian production is an endless game of speculation. I would guess these guys would have to be under the SCAR in some amount given the market they sell into but there are lots of other semi .308's that aren't cheaper (like OBR and LMT), so its just a guess on that. And an equally good guess is if they will ever hit the US market and when. The road is littered with guns that seemed like they were coming and never quite make it into the US. I'm not aware of any USSC rulings that make importation any easier. I can't really comment on Steyr in this market space as while I do have an AUG I consider it more of a historical firearm than a competitor to the SCAR16. On the other hand I have lots of Bren's both 805 and Bren2 and in those cases quoting one of my favorite movies you are "getting something for your money" by getting a SCAR. But that's really not my point on all this, it seems odd to me to say I'm looking for a gun and this seems like a good candidate when its not even in production, nor importable, nor priced, etc.
Months or possibly even years away there will be a whole different set of options to consider. If you want one 'soon' I can highly recommend the SCAR. But there are tons of other stuff equally good and potentially cheaper. But for the record there is no .308 I've owned that I hated more than the HK 91.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arguing about pricing of guns not announced or even in civilian production is an endless game of speculation.

So what?

quote:
I'm not aware of any USSC rulings that make importation any easier.

You just told us you didn't watch the whole video.

quote:
But that's really not my point on all this, it seems odd to me to say I'm looking for a gun and this seems like a good candidate when its not even in production, nor importable, nor priced, etc.

Nonsense. Watch the whole video and come back to us.

quote:
If you want one 'soon' I can highly recommend the SCAR. But there are tons of other stuff equally good and potentially cheaper.

Well, might you go ahead and mention those options since competitors to the Steyr are getting kicked around and a few of us said we'd be in the market. I'm open to input that isn't just admonishing me for being interested in this.

For argument's sake, let's pare it down neatly to what's such a big draw for the SCAR 17, which is the gun to beat in this category: .308, AR style controls that are ambi-friendly, folding stock, gas piston, accurate, under 9lbs, full length rail and/or monolithic upper, and accurate. Probably some other things in there, but those are the high points for me. The Steyr has those, plus it takes AR10 mags, and AR grips and stocks. The guy said they'll be able to import them, and the restricted parts that they can't, they'll just manufacture in their US operations, so it will come to the market pretty much as shown in the video. They're taking orders now, and the guy says it "definitely will be" available this year. We can be cynical and say that's all horseshit, or we can take him at his word but with a grain of salt, which is what I'm opting for. What's left to speculate from the list of things you mention is price, so we're doing that. All the rest of that got covered. If you think any kind of discussion about this rifle is a fool's errand, that's fine. I'm interested, so I'm gonna talk about it.

quote:
But for the record there is no .308 I've owned that I hated more than the HK 91.

On that, we fully agree. There are a couple easy reasons it's so popular and it being a fantastic rifle isn't one of them. I finally let mine go last year, and yes I know, it would have just kept earning value, but to me, it wasn't worth the space it took up in the safe.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Lightweight, accurate, portable, etc. seem to be on the list. Personally, I'm not going to shell out 3,900 bucks for a SCAR. On the other hand I did shell out almost that much for my custom short barreled M-14. What can I say, I'm a bit weird for M-14's. Besides, they work...

Wes

Posts: 2424 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Let me add on some comments. My "shortie" hasn't been weighed yet, but I'm guessing about 10 pounds all up. Soooo, if the Steyr can come in at 6.6 pounds (say 8.5 with sling, optics, and magazine) it would be a worthy addition. Especially, if they can get it in at under $3,000. Under $2,500 it would be a steal. Time will tell, to be sure.
Guess I'll put this in the wait and see category.

Wes

Posts: 2424 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

There’s already a lightweight .308 out now. The Ruger SFAR.

That is at the top of my list. I am trying to get a sample for work. Trying to convince the boss we need at least one bigger rifle. He’s spending money like crazy this year so I’m trying.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
That looks fantastic and unless I'm missing something, the US is still the number one sales market in the world for firearms,

And long may it remain so.

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
And long may it remain so.

Amen to that, big dog. Cool

Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
This excites me. I picked up a POF Revolution DI for this role, but am decidedly not in love with it. I've got a couple other Steyrs in the safe already so this would be in good company.

At $2500 or less I'll definitely buy one, possibly two. We shall see.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Why are you not a fan of the POF?

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Why are you not a fan of the POF?

For starters, build quality. It never should have left the factory with the rough chamber and extractor/bolt fit problems that it had when new. It was a single shot rifle until I sent it back to the factory (on my dime). Don't get me started about the attitude I got from their customer disservice goons. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the company after that whole experience.

Since I got it back, it runs, but it's really finicky with what it eats. Even suppressed and with the gas block all the way open, it won't reliably run anything but Federal XM80 or similarly hot loads. I did purchase some lighter weight buffers to try with lower pressure loads but I haven't had a chance to shoot with them.

Otherwise, it's a nice rifle. Shoots pretty consistently 1-1.25 MOA with milspec ball ammo. It handles beautifully, has excellent controls, and is nicely finished.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
That sounds rough. I was looking at buying one before the Ruger clone came out.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post