SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If you wanted a new 5.56 AR and had $2000 to spend, which would you buy?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you wanted a new 5.56 AR and had $2000 to spend, which would you buy? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
That’s the question.

Additional considerations:

Carbine length suitable for personal defense or law enforcement patrol use.
No need to be capable of using ammunition suitable for long range (>600 yard) target games.
Good overall quality, not necessarily finest precision, but I assume that anything in that price range should put bullets close to where they’re aimed with good ammunition.

Asking for a friend (yes, really Wink ).
I have already recommended looking at Wilson Combat offerings because that’s what I purchased for myself most recently, but I’d like to suggest others if appropriate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd buy the FN 15 Military Collector M4

Awfully pricey for an M4 variant, but it would be my choice.

The Daniel Defense rifles are great as well, but the FN M4 appeals to me in a big way.

There's the SIG M400 as well, but I like milspec (or milspec-type, to be precise) rifles.

One brand I would absolutely not consider these days is Colt, which is a real shame, since their 6920 was the gold standard of M4-type rifles for years. Well, not anymore.

Posts: 107481 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
It's close to the top of that budget, but I'd go with a JP-15. For the quality of what you're getting, I don't think there is anything better in terms of rifle only.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$2000 for the gun or $2000 for everything?

LMT, LWRC, Knights Presision, Daniel Defense, and 2k might not be enough... Those are a little more pricey.

Bravo Co, Palmetto State, FN, LaRue Tactical, Armalight, Gissele, DSArms-
All under the $2000 mark, and solid quality weapons that will accurately put that round where you want it. Tell your "friend" (you know we don't believe you... This is landing up in YOUR safe Wink) that if he gets a $1200 Bravo, that's $800 on an optic and light.

Theres also nothing wrong with doing a custom build from someone that knows what they are doing. $1500-2000 and you can piece together a pretty damn good and ultra reliable gun.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Ruger AR-556

Will leave them about $1300 for ammo!

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The FN FN15 tac3 is at the top of my list for a factory rifle.
https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-15-tac3/
Has everything I would want on it.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Ruger AR-556

Will leave them about $1300 for ammo!

I'd buy 3 Ruger AR556s.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
father in-law got a Geissele super duty 16. i think recent sales had it closer to $1,800 depending. i considered it pretty high quality AR with a nice handguard and comes SSA-E trigger.
there are a few other "enhacements" you can see, but for the most part, i thought it was well worth the price.
https://www.brownells.com/fire...2-137308-250576.aspx

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
$2000 for the rifle itself.
Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LWRC, Daniel Defense...

No experience with either.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
It's Daniel Defense for my vote too. I love my M4V4.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Probably LWRC. At around the $1700 mark you can get an LWRC with a slight edge in features over a comparable DD rifle. Just going by what's on the shelf at the local store, of course.

In that price range, though, there's not really anything you can go wrong with.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am biased, and would say LMT for the win. This is my go to rifle, if I am in deep doodoo. It was the Defender line when I got mine, but think they are the Standard Patrol line now. Also have a Sig 516 to round out the top shelf. Both are put together like a swiss watch, and run exactly like you would expect.

The rest are Aero lowers with PSA uppers. They get the job done, but without the style and panache of the top tier makers.

Pick the logo you like the best from the top manufacturers and run with it. Once you are at that level they are so close together in quality, it does come down to logos and or DI vs Piston.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1112 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’d spend 1200.00 on a gun and 800.00 on an optic. But that’s because I don’t see as well as I did years ago

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat
LaRue
FN

If he is LE Wilson Combat offers a very generous LE discount.

If I ever buy another factory AR it will likely be an FN.
I checked the LaRue box last year and Wilson Combat this year.
So I don’t really see me buying another AR.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25407 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
Bravo Company / BCM. Bullet proof professional working man's gun without the fluff.

https://www.bravocompanymfg.co...on_systems/index.php

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 142 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it was me I would go with the FN Military Collector M16.

I am a huge FN fanatic, and I carried an FN M16A4 with the adjustable stock and Knight rails until Uncle Sam took it and issued me an M4.

With the adjustable stock you have the best of both worlds: M4 and M16A4.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
POF

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Noveske, Geiselle. Some good suggestions. LMT or FN would also be right there.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would buy a POF. I have two: super accurate, minimal cleaning needed, and never, ever failed in any way. Mine are gas piston, but they make DI guns as well.

https://www.cflgunandtactical....ge-Black-p/01143.htm

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post