SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If you wanted a new 5.56 AR and had $2000 to spend, which would you buy?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you wanted a new 5.56 AR and had $2000 to spend, which would you buy? Login/Join 
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
For 2k for just the rifle my picks would be:
Noveske
BCM
Daniel Defense
LMT
KAC
LWRC
Daniel Defense
Sons of Liberty Gunworks

All of those have their pros and cons. I only left larue out as I much prefer their offerings in the mid-long range market vs cqb to mid.

If I had roughly 2kish and didn't own an AR id lean towards BCM, and you'll be under that mark by a few hundred. Then put it towards mags, ammo, scout light, and a T2 or a Comp M5.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
One brand I would absolutely not consider these days is Colt, which is a real shame, since their 6920 was the gold standard of M4-type rifles for years. Well, not anymore.

Para,

When would you say this changed?

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In the past five years.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I really like that FN as well, just not the CA compliant model.

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's actually been a slow slide, starting after Colt lost the M4 military contract to FN, and that was sometime around 2010 IIRC. But, things started to get noticeably more acute beginning about five years ago. I wouldn't want a Colt AR made after late 2016 or so. Just my opinion.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
If you can find them under $1000 they’re still a good buy, but unless it’s a specialty model, don’t go above $1000 especially for a 6920. A 6960 isn’t bad (mid length with a Centurion MLok rail) and can be had for just a little more with some looking, but don’t let someone drive up the price just because it has a Colt pony.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's actually been a slow slide, starting after Colt lost the M4 military contract to FN, and that was sometime around 2010 IIRC. But, things started to get noticeably more acute beginning about five years ago. I wouldn't want a Colt AR made after late 2016 or so. Just my opinion.

I value your opinion. I believe the 6920 in question was made right around 2012, so it should be good.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
For the short version, here’s a quick video on old vs. new Colts:

If you really want to get deep, Chris Bartocci at the Small Arms Solutions YouTube channel goes over things in far more agonizing detail detail showing far more examples including prototype rifles he was given while he worked at Colt. It’s a hell of a rabbit hole, but it’s an interesting one.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
It's close to the top of that budget, but I'd go with a JP-15. For the quality of what you're getting, I don't think there is anything better in terms of rifle only.

This would likely be my choice as well.

Opt for the LMOS bolt carrier, tune it properly with the adjustable gas block. Enjoy.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
This thread has been going on for a while. Looked back at my suggestions several months ago and would add LaRue near the top of the list. Especially for what they cost.
That will be my next rifle if there is one. Ymmv

Where has POF gone since the owner was killed a few years back? Who is running it since?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
POF is still going. About the only thing new I've seen from them has been not putting pistol braces on their AR pistols, but still charging the same price.