SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let’s play build that rifle. ***UPDATE: Rifle Complete Pg. 4***
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s play build that rifle. ***UPDATE: Rifle Complete Pg. 4*** Login/Join 
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
SOLG's practice of replacing barrels & wear parts is a marketing decision. They just build the costs of projected replacement into their manufacturing model. Given that they are a relatively new company (6 years old?) in a pretty mature and crowded AR15 market, they need a way to differentiate themselves from the other companies. SOLG understands the life expectancy of their parts, and probably has the equivalent of an actuary table for costs. It's a reasonable marketing plan, and I hope it works well for them. "Brand ambassadors" in the field are worth a lot to companies.

fritz, Mike at SOLGW is a very approachable fellow in my experience. He taught the armorer's class I attended last year and I spoke with him a bit. I'd suggest reaching out if you wanted to ask him about any of those topics.

My experience with the brand and the owners has been positive, and I have a much different take on it than you do. But I do agree their stuff is pricey. My 13.7 build I shared a photo of was based on an East India upper that I got during a Black Friday sale, which is about the only time I can stomach the price tag.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The difference in size is negligible.
Both receiver extensions are the A5.
With the scope I have the stock one position farther aft.
Between the LOP and barrel about 2"

The barrel I got was the 223 Wylde stainless barrel in the Gunner profile.
The gas block journal is .625", which required another dimple jig, if the pinned version was an option for that one I would have went that route.

The gas port on this barrel is .081", while useful for a fouled gun running steel cased ammo, I was getting the bolt to lock back with a Vltor A5H4 6.8 oz buffer and M855.

Black River Tactical has gas tubes sized to run what buffer and spring you want to use.
For that one I selected a tube to run an A5H2 5.3 oz buffer and a Tubbs flat wire spring.
If I ever get some steel cased ammo to run I can go down two more buffer sizes if I have too.

The FN barrel is more of a medium contour with a .750" gas block journal and a bit more meat at the muzzle end.

From my research the gas port on the FN barrel should be .076" and be able to use the A5H2 buffer.
I haven't gotten around to moving the gas block to measure it but if it doesn't lock back on an A5H4 buffer I'll leave it alone.

Both rifles are only theoretically functional at this point and the suspense is killing me.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
If it weren’t for the pesky notify the ATF anytime an SBR is taken out of state I would just do an 11.5 and SBR it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25336 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
JP Silent Springs make a rifle cycle more smoothly than regular buffer spring systems. I never got excited about the sound of the traditional spring, but I noticed it once it went away with the JP Silent Spring system.

Is the added smoothness worth the added price?

For me it is. Given the investment I already have in a rifle & scope, the extra cost of JP's spring system isn't all that bad. I want all my ARs to perform at their very best. I prefer a smaller number of ARs which perform almost perfectly over a fleet of just OK rifles.

But it's a personal preference, and not everyone goes down that path.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
fritz, Mike at SOLGW is a very approachable fellow in my experience. He taught the armorer's class I attended last year and I spoke with him a bit. I'd suggest reaching out if you wanted to ask him about any of those topics.

I have no reason to contact SOLG. My Wilson, SI Defense, and Black Rain ARs perform well. I have a talented local gunsmith to replace barrels as they are shot out.

I don't consider SOLG a target supplier. My primary reason is their barrels -- QPQ eliminates it from my use. If QPQ had no effect on accuracy, QPQ treated barrels would be used by the most demanding of target shooters. F Class, service rifle, bench rest, PRS -- competitors who regularly shoot out barrels. I'll stick with Wilson when 3/4 to 1 MOA at distance is adequate. I'll use Bartlein or Krieger when greater accuracy is required. Should I need more barrel life than regular SS steel, I'll go with Bartlein's new BB steel barrels.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Wilson has a 16" barrel on sale for $187.
I'm tempted to snag one myself.
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/B...nfo/TR-556LEMG16RT8/

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I passed on the 16" Wilson.
Went with the 18" fluted barrel and an upper.
Paid for but back ordered.

I suppose you could say fritz is a Brand Ambassador. Smile

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Wilson has a 16" barrel on sale for $187.
I'm tempted to snag one myself.
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/B...nfo/TR-556LEMG16RT8/

I saw that though I am pretty set on a 14.5” P&Wd and their 14.7 is heavier than I am wanting.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Went with the 18" fluted barrel and an upper.

It should do well for you.

quote:
I suppose you could say fritz is a Brand Ambassador.

Unfortunately, I'm just a minuscule fish in a big pond of Wilson users. No free barrels, tshirts, or even hats. But they did throw in a WC sticker with my last order.....

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The fact that you don't get freebies or praising and recommending a product that sponsors you carries more weight to me.
Otherwise that makes you a shill.

Real world data from someone that has used it enough to know the difference and does more than post pics on Instagram of the rifle is more influential to me.

I never really looked into Wilson barrels as I assumed they would be in a price range that was above my pay grade.
I was pricing a Faxon 18" fluted barrel and it was more than the Wilson.

Researching the Faxon seemed to have mixed reviews with a lot of them not liking heavier pills.
One thing that's consistent with WC barrels is that I'm not finding bad reviews.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that tidbit about Faxon.
I have started looking at Ballistic Advantage as well.

————————————————

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I wish I had of done a bit more research a year ago when I got the 16" one.
If it shoots well then great, if not I'm not gonna stress about it.
Will probably just sell off the complete upper anyway once the 18" WC comes in.

BA seems to have a pretty good reputation, Aero uses those barrels in their uppers.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish I had of done a bit more research a year ago when I got the 16" one.
If it shoots well then great, if not I'm not gonna stress about it.
Will probably just sell off the complete upper anyway once the 18" WC comes in.

BA seems to have a pretty good reputation, Aero uses those barrels in their uppers.

Aero does not use their own barrels?

————————————————

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
BA and Aero have been partners since 2014.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
After lots of reading and YouTube watching I settled on the Ballistic Advantage 14.5 Performance Series Hanson profile with .750 low profile pinned Gas Block.

Everyone seems to like it and will deliver the accuracy I am looking for.
Also supposed to be a good weight with most of the weight at the rear of the barrel which should be very helpful with the added weight of the suppressor at the muzzle.
https://www.ballisticadvantage...formance-series.html

————————————————

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve built a couple with all of the premium parts. When it’s done, my one thought is I wish it was lighter.

Nowadays, I buy a BCM lightweight complete rifle and call it a day.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
After lots of reading and YouTube watching I settled on the Ballistic Advantage 14.5 Performance Series Hanson profile with .750 low profile pinned Gas Block.

Also supposed to be a good weight with most of the weight at the rear of the barrel which should be very helpful with the added weight of the suppressor at the muzzle.

Check the installation of the gas block when you get it. BA does not always get these straight, and their gas blocks can be poor-fitting to the barrel's journal.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
quote:

Check the installation of the gas block when you get it. BA does not always get these straight, and their gas blocks can be poor-fitting to the barrel's journal.

Thanks. I had not read that yet.
Also I don’t believe the block actually comes installed.

————————————————

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. I had not read that yet.
Also I don’t believe the block actually comes installed.

They ship loose from the barrel (otherwise you couldn't get the barrel nut on without driving the pin out), but the block and barrel have been drilled together.

Both of the BA barrels I've used that were pre-drilled were slightly off and needed a borescope to confirm alignment wasn't occluding the port in the barrel. One of them continues to leak like a sieve and when I get around to it the barrel and gas block are getting the boot.

My experience isn't uncommon in the groups I belong to. Not the norm, but not unheard of.

It makes having a pinned gas block extremely easy, that's for sure.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I’ll have better luck with the BA barrel.

————————————————