SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let’s play build that rifle. ***UPDATE: Rifle Complete Pg. 4***
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s play build that rifle. ***UPDATE: Rifle Complete Pg. 4*** Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I was initially just going to buy a barebones FN Patrol Rifle and swap a couple things out but figure with some parts I have sitting in the cabinet. I could build better (arguably) for about the same price give or take.

So first off the purpose of the rifle. This will be a bug out ready to roll at all times rifle. So it needs to be somewhat light and pretty much a no frills rifle. Hopefully it will only ever be used on the range but it is not planned to just be a range toy.

So what I have already:
Wilson Combat stripped receiver set
Rock River BCG
ALG QMS trigger

I was thinking thinking for the upper of just maybe grabbing this.
https://palmettostatearmory.co...k-pinned-welded.html
But I will have a YHM Turbo suppressor to be used so I’ll have to pay someone to swap the birdcage for the YHM QD hider. And in another thread some say it should not be a problem and other say it could be a problem.

But I like building rifles and since I have a stripped upper already that is a match to the lower might as well just build outright.

So I was thinking a LaRue Stealth 14.5” barrel w/ the YHM flash suppressor P&W’d.
Aero Precision Adjustable Gas Block and upper parts kit
Some sort of 13.5” handguard (suggestions for a lightweight MLok that does not break the bank)
Magpul MBUS sights
Trijicon MRO Green Dot

Lower:
Spikes LPK minus fire control have always treated me well
Magpul MOE+ grip
Magpul MOE Stock
Buffer suggestions please (don’t know much about the differences)

Figure this will be a decent setup at a similar price to just buying an FN off the shelf and adding some upgrades.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25355 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Looks solid.
For mid length gas systems I like the A5 action with an A5H2 buffer.
Gives a bit of adjustability if you run steel cased ammo by using an A5HO or A5H1 buffer.
But that will depend on the size of the gas port.
My Faxon mid gas has a 0.081" gas port which is pretty large.
I used a BRT gas tube to be able to use an A5H2 buffer rather than the A5H4.

The FN barrel has a 0.076" port which is good for the A5H2.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
For handguards Midwest Industries has nice ones.
https://www.midwestindustriesi...oduct-p/mi-crm14.htm

May get them cheaper from Primary Arms and such.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have been seeing a few used BCM uppers in the $500-600 range, with a nice rail already installed. Might be worth looking around!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
This will be a serious rifle. Buy a complete factory upper that meets your needs and buy a complete factory lower that meets your needs. Slap the two together.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I'd go with a 16" mid-length BCM mid-weight upper with Magpul MOE handguards. With the 16", you don't have to deal with the P&W flash suppressor. Since it's a practical rifle, it would be suited for practical accuracy. The added mass of the barrel should work well with the counterweight of a suppressor.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bc...twist-ionbond-black/

I'd go with a Mil-Spec carry-handle and a F-marked sight base, or a Trijicon ACOG TA31 with your preferred reticle.

I'm basically describing my SHTF rifle that I already have, although I think I have the GI profile barrel, but I'd have to check.

I'm not a fan of pencil barrels and I'm not a fan of P&W'd muzzle devices. I like the ability to not have to use a drill press or a torch to pull my barrel or to change my gas block or to change a free float tube.

It would also help to state your accuracy standards and what's your maximum range you intend for the rifle to be effective. With my 16" mid-length, I'm good out to 500, at least, with the right ammo.

If you only want it to be effective inside 100 yards, I'd opt for a pistol build with a 11.5" barrel. It would be a good vehicle gun. I'd add a LAW tactical folding block. I'm describing my personal PDW, by the way .

The only accessory I'd add is an Inforce weapon light and a BFG tactical sling.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
For the handguard, take a look at the Aero Precision Atlas S-One. They're lightweight, rock solid (the mounting methodology is supurb), only has rail where you need it (it's M-Lock, so you can add more if required), and has a nice slim profile that is easy and comfortable to grip. They've become my go-to's for all of my free-float builds.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You don't get the Gucci name but the premium CHF uppers from PSA are top notch quality.
I have several thousand rounds through my 14.7" carbine and it has never once hiccup'd.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...k-pinned-welded.html

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only input-when it's time to pull the birdcage, JDM Gunsmithing in Lexington does great work.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

I'm not a fan of P&W'd muzzle devices. I like the ability to not have to use a drill press or a torch to pull my barrel or to change my gas block or to change a free float tube.

It would also help to state your accuracy standards and what's your maximum range you intend for the rifle to be effective. With my 16" mid-length, I'm good out to 500, at least, with the right ammo.

If you only want it to be effective inside 100 yards, I'd opt for a pistol build with a 11.5" barrel. It would be a good vehicle gun. I'd add a LAW tactical folding block. I'm describing my personal PDW, by the way .

Tony.

Out of curiosity how often are you swapping gas blocks and hand guards.
1st rifle was 16 years ago and I have never had them off once I put on what I wanted.

Effective range doubt would go out 300 yards. 100-200 yards biting a 12 inch plate is likely the most I would be dealing with using this gun.
The law folder is a thought they are just big money and not sure how much I would need it.
I like Vickers slings and have them on my other slung rifles so likely will stick to that.

————————————————

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
For your stated purpose I would call that "too much" barrel, considering cost vs. performance. If you're looking to hit a 12" plate at 200 yards most average barrels will be of adequate accuracy. The LaRue is intended to be a match shooter.

If you're after reliability I would remove the adjustable gas block. If you want your gun to run don't put moving parts in a critical role within your gas system.

A gas port of 0.078" is a good size for the 14.5" midlength based on similar performance criteria to Crane testing that developed the gas system optimization recommendations for the M4, Mk18. I would choose a barrel with a gas port at this size or very close to it, of a light or hybrid profile, run a standard gas system, Rock River BCG works fine, put an H buffer behind it with a Sprinco white, hot white, or blue spring based on how the setup shoots.

If you're not mounting anything on the rail you can get pretty basic. I don't like the clamping system on cheap rails like most of what PSA uppers come with, it's just aluminum tabs being clamped around a round barrel nut - they have a higher likelihood of requiring a ton of torque to get them to stay in place. Midwest, BCM, ALG, White Label Armory to name a few, plenty of good stuff out there that's not too expensive, unfortunately there is a lot of junk as well.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

I'm not a fan of P&W'd muzzle devices. I like the ability to not have to use a drill press or a torch to pull my barrel or to change my gas block or to change a free float tube.

Tony.

Out of curiosity how often are you swapping gas blocks and hand guards.
1st rifle was 16 years ago and I have never had them off once I put on what I wanted.

Effective range doubt would go out 300 yards. 100-200 yards biting a 12 inch plate is likely the most I would be dealing with using this gun.
The law folder is a thought they are just big money and not sure how much I would need it.
I like Vickers slings and have them on my other slung rifles so likely will stick to that.

For my 20" rifle, I've been known to change moods and change barrels, carry handles, flat tops and gas blocks.

For my 16" BCM, I haven't changed a thing yet. It sports Magpul handguards and a F-marked FSB. I haven't touched it since I finished it 3 years ago with the exception of the carry-handle to ACOG. I might change my mood and want to try a rail. For now I have one Picatinny section for a light and that's it. But I did just install a Geissele rail on my 20" and I may get the rail bug and want to add them later.

...or not. I just like the flexibility to change my mind. If you feel you'll never change your mind, I don't fault you for that. It's all good.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to go with. I'm sure it will be a winner, regardless.

I'm thinking for 300 yards, the 14.5" is a great choice.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
For your stated purpose I would call that "too much" barrel, considering cost vs. performance. If you're looking to hit a 12" plate at 200 yards most average barrels will be of adequate accuracy. The LaRue is intended to be a match shooter.

If you're after reliability I would remove the adjustable gas block. If you want your gun to run don't put moving parts in a critical role within your gas system.

For barrels what would you suggest? LaRue seems to be some of the best barrels but at a decent price certainly not the cheapest but not nearly the most expensive with an impeccable reputation.

Also thought the adjustable gas block was important when shooting suppressed.

————————————————

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Adjustable gas blocks are needed when the gas port is big enough to stub out a cigar in.
BRT barrels are made to run with or without a suppressor with a buffer swap.
But they are about $325

A Faxon 14.5" Gunner profile with a BRT gas tube sized for suppressor use is another option.

Or install a set screw in the gas block port and drill a port to the size you need.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:

A Faxon 14.5" Gunner profile with a BRT gas tube sized for suppressor use is another option.

That is a rather thin barrel correct?
Not looking for a heavy barrel but don’t want a thin pencil barrel.

I got the thin PredatAR barrel on my full LaRue rifle and kind of regret that.

————————————————

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
It's a hybrid barrel.
Govt profile to the gas block.
https://faxonfirearms.com/faxo...-5-56-nato-nitrided/

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thin on the muzzle end just bugs me.
How Aero barrels?
https://www.aeroprecisionusa.c...-14-5-mid-cmv-barrel

————————————————

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I haven't used an Aero barrel but from what I've read they are Ballistic Advantage barrels and good quality with a proper sized gas port.
Specs are a 0.0785" gas port.

posted Hide Post
Assembling a reliable AR15 isn't rocket science, with some secret squirrel sauce. Big companies, small companies, gunsmiths, and Joe Civilians have all been doing this for decades.

I have changed handguards on maybe half of my ARs. From the old-style quad rails to the new slim MLok rails. Probably won't change them again, unless somebody develops a handguard that's head and shoulders better than the Mlok design. Cheaper and really light weight rails can flex when weighted hard with a bipod, or against a barrier. But if the barrel is properly free floated, this flex in the handguard matters little.

I install new gas blocks when I retire shot-out barrels. I toss the old gas tubes, too. I've done this twice.

I have fixed gas blocks on all my ARs, all of which I shoot suppressed. At least 25,000 rounds down range and no issues. I have increased buffer weights.

I've never heard someone state, "I wish my AR15 barrel was less accurate." Most of my AR barrels are from Wilson Combat. I've retired 2 that I shot out. I have 4 in current use. I have 3 new ones in the basement for future replacement. I'll put WC barrel up against anything this side of Bartlein and Krieger for accuracy. WC AR15 barrels list for $250 unfluted and $285 fluted, with a few profile options. Sales generally occur around major holidays, generally with 10-20% discounts.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
14.7" recon profile is available now on their website. Unfluted version -- I prefer fluted, to save a little weight.

Looks like you just deleted your post.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post